“Tours that are all about you!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #110 of 246 Activities in Sao Paulo
Portland, Oregon
“Tours that are all about you!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Not having visited Sao Paulo before, I thought a tour would make sense. Carte Blanche was recommended by a colleague of mine who had just taken a tour days before mine. I shot off an email and within hours, Mark had outlined a custom tour based on what I mentioned I was interested in. He connected me with his colleague, Grant (who is about as cool as they come!).

Grant met me at the hotel a few minuted early, took me on the metro to churches, museums and the Mercado Central. We had lunch there where I learned more about the culture of Brazil (Don't eat that pastry with your hands - use a napkin!) and sampled some amazing fruits. So fun.

From there, we headed over to an open-air market where I was able to pick up some really cool souvenirs for the kids and art for the grown-ups. Grant was super patient, answered all my questions and made sure that I had a great time.

At the end of the day, we went to a bar and had drink - a Caipirinha (SO tasty, but just drink 1!) and then to a corner restaurant where we had a bit of the local food, called a Coxinha and topped off with a Brahma beer. It was about as local as it gets, which is exactly what I wanted.

When I got back to my hotel, I thought "That wasn't a tour...it was like hanging out with a cool friend!" which was perfect for me as I "hate" being a tourist. Despite that I scheduled my tour on a Sunday (some things are closed), I had a great time in the amount of time I had.

Now about Grant - this guy is unbelievable! He speaks Portuguese like a native (although he's a Brit) but also speaks, French, Spanish, English and sign language! The cool part for me is whenever he'd have a conversation with a local, you could tell that they thought he was "the real deal" - no repeating phrases slowly for him! He made me feel right at home, told me what I could do on my own on the metro and what I should take a cab for, and built my SP confidence for when I come back next time.

So no, you don't tour around the city in a double-decker bus with 50 strangers you don't know - you get a tour made just for you that was worth every real.

Visited August 2013

“Fantastic in every way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

We hadn't visited São Paulo before and were unsure what to expect. Mark was absolutely brilliant...he totally understood our needs and nothing was too much trouble for him. He accompanied us on a tour around the city and showed us so many fascinating sights and buildings...he has a tremendous wealth of knowledge about the history, art and culture of São Paulo and has an amazing command of Portuguese and English. He was particularly kind and patient when I mislaid my sunglasses and we retraced our steps for about an hour, enquiring at shops, a museum and a restaurant until we found them. I would highly recommend the city safari and cannot praise Mark and his team highly enough for their excellent service.

Visited June 2013
CarteBlanchebrazil, Owner at Carte Blanche Safari - Private Tours, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
We are delighted to recieve this review and are so happy that you enjoyed our 'Local Buddy Safari'. It was a pleasure to met you and we look forward to seeing you in São Paulo again very soon!