“Good for traveling alone due to options in neighborhood” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Staybridge Suites Sao Paulo

You added Staybridge Suites Sao Paulo to your Saves list
Staybridge Suites Sao Paulo
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Bandeira Paulista, No 555, Sao Paulo, State of Sao Paulo 04534-011, Brazil (Itaim Bibi)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #20 of 309 Hotels in Sao Paulo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Holland, Michigan
“Good for traveling alone due to options in neighborhood”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I will preface this with the fact its my second stay in Sao Paulo. First time was at Marriott Executive Apts.
Location: The Staybridge has more to offer within "safe" walking distance than the Marriott did, so for this reason alone I would return here vs. Marriott. There is an open air plaza, not a "mall" as I mistakenly thought. No real shops to speak of, but decent variety of small restaurants to order at the counter and take to a table in the courtyard. Walk down Floriano and you can find other restaurants and grocery stores easily. There is also a Starbucks which made my mornings! The theatre is also right behind, so on a rainy afternoon this was convenient to walk under covered walk-ways.
Hotel: rooms are a decent size, comfy bed. There are no dresser drawers, only open shelves and cubbies, which I didn't like at all. The closet had a decent amount of hangers. At first I didn't locate an outlet next to the bed, but then realized i only had to move the small end table out to find it near the floor. Shower is only a shower, no tub which was ok for me... however the door open slid open about 2 ft so it was not easy to get into the shower. The shower water pressure is like standing under a fire hose - good thing i didn't get sunburned or this would've killed me! on a positive note its great for washing long hair :) TV pivots from family room area to face the bed, so this is a nice convenience too. Windows are not well insulated, and even on 15th floor I could hear the noise from the street...esp the dogs and car alarms...
Check in was easy, the frt desk could also locate someone able to speak english or understand my broken spanish.
Agree with previous post about the vacuum and housecleaning service - not consistant, and washclothes were only present half the time I was here. The shampoo and conditioner are in those little square bottles... which you can't squeeze. Shampoo was awful really and I wound up purchasing some from nearby grocery store.
Overall I would return as mentioned when traveling alone so I could dine at various restaurants w/o leaving too far a radius.

Room Tip: Corner room was nice b/c of the breeze since the balcony had 2 open sides.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SAOSB, Gerente de recepção at Staybridge Suites Sao Paulo, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to leave a review.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our location and found it safe, and It's especially good to know you would choose to stay with us again!

Our team understands that attention to details is very importante to ensure a comfortable and satisfying stay. Please rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

We really hope to have you back at Staybridge Suites São Paulo soon.

Best Regards,

Staybridge Suites Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is my first long stay (3 months) in a Staybridge Suites 'hotel', so I don't have anything to compare it to within the chain. However, I do frequently stay for 6 weeks or more in serviced apartments and suite hotels around the world, and this one was one of the least oriented towards a long term residence. There are no bathtubs in rooms, nor vanity drawers for cosmetics, etc., and only open shelving for folded clothing (no drawers or cupboards). The kitchen area is limited to a microwave, sink and small refrigerator (although a very large, well used 2 burner cooktop is available, with grubby pans and utensils, if you request it. However, it will take up half of your prep/counter space.) Cleaning was daily, but the quality of cleaning was inconsistent - vacuuming and sweeping seem to happen only if you insist on it, and frequently towels or face cloths were taken away but not replaced. And while laundry and dry cleaning services are offered at a very high price via the front desk, there are no 'in house' laundry facilities if you prefer to do your own washing. Beds are comfy, and the balconies are a nice feature. Rooms on the inside courtyard overlooking the restaurants can be noisy on weekend evenings. Free Wifi was generally good and fast, but international calls from the phones are outrageously priced. And frustratingly, when I attempted to reach colleagues staying in the same hotel via the operator, I was often asked if I knew the room number (NO! I wouldn't be using you if I could ring them myself!), and twice it took over 5 minutes for them to locate the name of the person I was phoning in spite of the fact that the guest had been there for several weeks. All this said, I found the staff to be very friendly, and during my stay almost all of the desk staff spoke at least some English, and most of them learned my name and room number quickly, and were always nice and attempted to be helpful. Their experience, and standards of service, are not yet up to world class standards, and I agree that most of the bell staff is woefully untrained and unhelpful (although always pleasant). The attached gym is nice and well equipped, but the lap pool is poorly maintained. There are several grocery stores nearby, but the desk staff isn't very knowledgeable about them and you'll probably need to have a wander to find them for yourself. There is a small convenience grocery in the hotel (behind the elevators) and they have a decent selection but their prices ARE high for this 'convenience' (the staff will open it at all hours for you, if it's not already open.) There is a wonderful market on the side street on Tuesday mornings, with great and well priced fruit, veg, and fish, plus a very good flower stall (but note... it gets rolling early in the morning, and will be pretty noisy from 6 am until 2pm). No nearby metro station, nor good shopping other than the ubiquitous Brazilian two drugstores per block (??? really????). Restaurants within the hotel complex vary - the Japanese place is quite good, Galetos traditional Brazilian cuisine (attached) has a very good salad / side dish buffet but is expensive, and the German beer garden / restaurant has some of the worst food I've eaten in SP. Other nearby restaurants run the gamut, although I will be sure to recommend Zataar, right next door, for Lebanese cuisine. If you venture out beyond the immediate hotel area, food prices drop dramatically. And really good (although quite sweet) luxury chocolates are available at both Kopenhagen (around the corner) and Brasil Cacau (a few blocks away.) All in all, I've chosen to look at this stay as an 'adventure', but it's not one of the most comfortable I've ever had, and I would request not to stay here again if given the choice.

Room Tip: My preference was for 10th floor or higher, on the street side (Prof. Tamandare Toledo)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear mountainpoppy,

First we would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review and express your concerns. We really appreciate your candide feeback about your stay at our hotel.

We are really sorry to hear about the incidents you had during your stay with us. Your comments have been forwarded and discussed with each Department Head in order to improve our services and train our staff. That's why we appreciate comments like yours and use them as a tool to improve the quality of our services.

Once again we apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused. We certainly value your patronage with us and anticipate the chance to reestablish your faith in our hotel here at Staybridge Suites São Paulo.

It would be a pleasure to have you back at our property.

NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Although this is part of the Staybridge Suites chain and Intercontinental Hotels, it is a franchised location and it up to the same standards as the US brand. I did not enjoy my week long stay here and would have cancelled and moved elsewhere if I could. I am a Platinum Ambassador with Priority Club but received no additional benefits at this property for being so. The front desk staff barely spoke English except for one woman - isn't this an International hotel of an American chain hotel? The included breakfast in Floriano restaurant was AWFUL. Watery scrambled eggs, predominantly breads and carbs for the meal, bad coffee, not much other choice. Was very disappointed in this breakfast and ended up eating elsewhere every day. The bell desk was basically unhelpful and they stood around without offering to help get cabs or anything. I got my own cabs at a nearby taxi stand. The hotel is attached to a restaurant and movie complex that includes a Starbucks, sushi, burgers, and other restaurants since the food was so bad in the hotel. There are no metro stops near this hotel at all. Wifi was free and worked ok. Rooms were worn at the edges and needing updating. Carpet in my room was gross. Bathroom shower tiles had mildew on them. Shower head was leaking. Room had adequate electrical outlets for powering your devices and the air conditioning was very good. Overall this was a cheap feeling hotel and to me seemed like a three star hotel. Service was not up to standards. The neighborhood has a lot of choices for banks, stores, restaurants. I WOULD NOT STAY HERE AGAIN AND WILL BE CONTACTING INTERCONTINENTAL HOTELS TO LET THEM KNOW HOW DISAPPOINTING THIS PROPERTY WAS.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Sao Paulo, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear ccgworldtraveler,

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Champaign
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I love staying at Staybridge hotels and find them always very pleasant and well looked after with great staff. NOne of the above was true in São Paulo. 2 days in a row my room was not made up. The air conditioner dripped water and soaked my floor and te hotel response was to send people to dry the floor not fix the drip. Eventually after some heated discussions the technicians came and fixed it. 2 elevators did not stop on my floor (20) so I had a great time riding up and down these elevators.
In the middle of my check in process the clerk stopped working with me and started helping a lovely lady who just decided she needed help now.. He did finally comeback to me after a few very loud "excuse me's" from myself.

I really enjoy staying at this chain and especially like the friendliness of the staff. THis hotel does not fit this mold at all... The location is great and very safe so there are some positives but not too many

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Sao Paulo, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Martin M,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am delighted you found the location great and very safe. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the disappointment and inconvenience you had with your room accommodation as well as the elevators and the poor service you received during your stay. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Belo Horizonte, MG
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This hotel is very well located, with good restaurants, bookstore, pharmacy, taxi, ice cream, all around. The service is very good, the rooms are clean and comfortable. You will have a fitness room and a small pool, but the pool there is no sun. The neighborhood is very nice and the city of São Paulo offers many dining options, museums and parks.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high as possible, to remain silent during sleep.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SAOSB, Gerente de recepção at Staybridge Suites Sao Paulo, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Sanelcosta,

Thank you for your review about your stay with us.

Our team is glad to hear you enjoyed our service and rooms.

Itaim Bibi is a really nice neighborhood and you can find almost everything you need at Brascan Open Mall, where the hotel is located.

We hope to have you as our guest again soon!

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

When I lived in Sao Paulo, I always found it difficult to recommend a hotel in Itaim. Apart from the Unique (which is pushing the boundaries of the neighborhood), there were several acceptable options but nothing really stood out. I have since moved away but when I recently returned for a business trip, I tried out the Staybridge Suites as it is very conveniently located for meetings and can be had for a pretty competitive price.
The best part of the hotel by far was access to the adjacent gym where you could take classes (in Portuguese) and use their equipment. The room itself was standard, but pretty modern and comfortable enough. Breakfast was fine but not superlative. The only trouble I had came during check in when I was originally told there were no non-smoking rooms available. However, the receptionist was quite sweet and after a few minutes was able to change some things around and accommodate me (I am quite sensitive to smoke, so it would have been a big problem otherwise).

Room Tip: Be sure to specify non-smoking many times during the reservation process
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SAOSB, Manager at Staybridge Suites Sao Paulo, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear venustar82,

Thank you for your review about our hotel.

We are happy to hear you enjoyed our location and fitness center.

Regarding your preferences, we always try to accomodate our guests needs so we are working on turning more rooms to non-smoking!

Once again thank you for your review and hope to see you back at Staybridge Suites São Paulo soon!

Cordially,

Colnbrook
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The hotel is siuated in Rua Bandeira Paulista, which is nice area.
It is within walking distance of many many restaurants, grocery shopping stores and a cinema.
The hotel staff are polite and courteous and I found they all spoke a very good level of English.
The hotel room was a large size with a desk, kitchenette, sofa, the bed was in a separated area and it is air conditioned.
My room was very clean and had a homely feel (that's something that I always find appealing). There is an area to hang many clothes, but no cupboards or draws. Each room has an iron and board, also the room has a safe.
The bathroom is quite small and has a shower, but no bath.
The bed is comfortable and I found that I did get a good night sleep.
From the hotel you can hear and occasionally see helicopters whizzing around - sometimes they can sound very very loud, but I did not hear any at night time.
There is a restaurant opposite the lobby that serves breakfast, which is a little basic but adequate. Overall I had a good stay at the hotel.

Room Tip: I can't recommend a good room, but I would strongly suggest - to give yourself an absolute minim...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SAOSB, Gerente de recepção at Staybridge Suites Sao Paulo, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear T_Virdee,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel.

We feel very happy to know that you enjoyed the services provided by our Front Office staff.

We are also glad that you enjoyed our accommodations, our location and that you felt like home. This is so important to our team!

Once again thank you for your review and we hope you to have you as our guest soon.

Regards,

Staybridge Suites Team

Been to Staybridge Suites Sao Paulo? Share your experiences!