“Disgusting” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We just went there to have lunch and we were very disappointed. Food was bad and service was also bad, but when I found a hair in my plate, service was even worse. The server did not even apologize. When disgusting things happen, in every single restaurant in the world, the server or even the owner -at least- apologize. If you want to have a bad experience, go to this restaurant. Good luck! Adriana

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
“Never again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Is has been a few years that we dined at Santa Gula. Soo far it has been great, but last night's experience was very very poor to say the least. The only reason I gave it 2 stars is because of the environment. We entertained an oversees guest, and I reckoned Santa Gula for the great food and nice settings. Only the latter remained. It started with the reservation that I made. We were running late, so I called, and it was confirmed to hold the table. When we arrived, my reservation was not on the list. Nevertheless, they accommodated us. I asked for en English menu for our guest, which was not even close to be updated. The duck is their signature dish, but was not available, and also not mentioned until we ordered, so we have to re-consider. Friday night and we were one of the first customers. I wanted to order a single glass of red wine with the main dish, and noted that the price of a sigle glass of wine was an exorbitant 22 reals. So we ordered a bottle from the menu, that arrived only after we already finished our not so hot plates. The only thing that was right was the bill (to their end). Over-expensive for what was offered. Unfortunately I can deleted a good place from my list of favorite restaurants!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Maularanjeira, Proprietário at Santa Gula, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
My name is Mauricio Laranjeira and i'm the owner of Santa Gula!
I was very surprised with your coments!
Realy for us the feeling witch you left the restaurant it's terrible!
There's nothing worst them going to a place to have acgreat time and after 1 hour leaving like that!
I'm sorry!
Can I invite you guys to come again and give us another chance?
If uou choose to give us that opotunity just sabd me a e-mail with the date and hour that it's best for you!
maularanjeira@hitmail.com

Thanks for your time.

Mauricio Laranjeira
Sao Paulo, SP
“Perfect Restaurant Frequented by Artsy Locals.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Santa Gula was recommended by a personal friend who has lived in Sao Paulo for the better part of her life. She promised a fabulous garden setting, great food and good value for the price and Santa Gula delivered on all fronts. We went on the early side (for Sao Paulo dining, that is...) and found it easy to get to and "get in" even on a Saturday night. The neighborhood is Vila Madalena and the books will tell you that this is an artsy part of the city typically flooded with artists, writers, intellectuals and those that wanna be any of the former. It's not filled with business dining bankers from downtown Sao Paulo via Faria Lima. My permanent residence is in Brooklyn, NYC so I was at "home" in a similar artsy intellectual setting. They have convenient valet parking for R$18 and the restaurant will wow you from the moment you step out of the cab or valet park your car. As soon as you walk under their sign you walk up a slightly sloped narrow pathway that is filled with the warm glow of candlelight and sconces. Very cool. The path is about 40 meters long and it opens into the waiting area for the restaurant. One the night we went there were thin hanging vine-like flowers filling the waiting area which made it seem like the perfect place to take a date and stir some romance. The restaurant itself is appointed in what I will call "rustic chic" style with very simple and eclectic furnishings. The center of the garden used to be wide open to the sky from what I was told, but there is now a tarp covering the majority of the opening. Drinks were good. Food was fabulous. Don't miss this place if you have some time to explore Sao Paulo away from the downtown business district. After dinner, stroll down any of the adjoining streets and you'll find great local live music in most of the bars and restaurants.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rome, Italy
“A really nice place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

The environment is very beautiful (expecially the garden) and the place is in a very nice and safe neighbourhood .
Caipirinha was excellent, one of the best in my 3 weeks brazilian trip, and the staff of the restaurant was really kind. Those who served us did not speak english but we managed to get understood easily.
Food was very good as well.
Strongly recommended.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sao Paulo, SP
“Lovely place, great food, best location for a bohemian night out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

We loved the ambience, the medallions in port wine and the knock'em dead caipirinha!

Vila Madalena is the Soho of Sao Paulo, and this restaurant has great character and food to kick off, or close out your night in style.

• Visited January 2012