“Unforgettable !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Cool Beans B&B - Santa Teresa

You added Casa Cool Beans B&B - Santa Teresa to your Saves list
Casa Cool Beans B&B - Santa Teresa
Rua Laurinda Santos Lobo, 136 | Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 20240-270, Brazil   |
Offers & Announcements
BEST BREAKFAST IN BRAZIL!
Ranked #1 of 250 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Unforgettable !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have travelled a lot with my three now grown up children, and I always choose my places to stay by reading reviews of tripadviser, Before we went to Rio I did a lot of research, because I wanted to be safe nd stay in a nice place.We chose Casa Cool Beans and stayed there for four nights in July. It was the most amazing,fantastic and wonderful place, friendly, beautiful decorated,cozy,clean, and the best breakfast!
It is one of the best place I have ever been to! I am so glad we didn't choose one of the hotels downtown. The area is great, with the Gomez bar close, and very safe to walk in the area even in the evening.
The owners Lance and David were fantastic and helpful, not to forget the manager Sergio!
This must be the most hidden treasure in Rio!!
You feel at home and comfortable as soon as you enter the door.
I can recommend this place to anyone, if you don't want to stay at the tourist beach hotels. This is so much more Rio!
We will for sure stay there for our next trip, and I have already recommended it for my parents in law.This is a place everyone will love.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Belmont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband and I are world travelers and habitually use tripadvisor for our lodging needs. However, we have actually never written a review to highlight any of our accommodations until today. We were so moved by our incredible experience at Casa Cool Beans that we wanted to share it with others. I hope you enjoy it and bon voyage!

_________

Nestled in the lovely and quaint hills of Santa Teresa, Casa Cool Beans is a refuge from Rio’s bustling life. The stately pousada boosts beautifully decorated rooms with original works of art. The chambers are serene, the beds are comfortable, and the showers are fantastic after a long day of sight seeing.

Mulling around the pousada, your nose may catch a waft of sweet floral perfume drifting from the nearby blossoming trees – the memory still trails me back home in the States. Along the way, you can find a wicker chair to catch up on some reading or lull by the pool overlooking saplings and hills. If you look closely, you may even find small monkeys playing amongst the trees…

Breakfasts at Casa Cool Beans are always a delight. The aroma of freshly baked bread and pastries invite you as you make your way to the kitchen. Passion fruit, sweet mangos, and fleshy grapes are offered. Fresh fruit juices change daily. Made to order omelets are offered and can be accompanied with freshly grown herbs from their organic garden. You can feast at an elegant wooden style family table or opt for something more intimate by the pool. The coffee is fantastically strong and prepares you for your day ahead.

The area around Casa Cool Beans is charming and authentic to the true life of a carioca. Colorful street art hug the neighborhood walls. Art galleries and capoeira studios unobtrusively dot the neighborhoods. At nearby local hunts, you can sip fresh caiparinhas or relish quality cacacha while enjoying feijoda and other cheap eats. The lively Lapa neighborhood (enjoyed best at night) is a stone’s throw away. Samba until dawn at “Rio Scenarium”. Buses or taxis can take you in or out of Santa Teresa – we opted for the latter.

What makes Casa Cool Beans so divine is in due respect to its hospitable owners David and Lance, their charming manager Sergio, and their endearing dog Mousse. Meeting them upon arrival was like seeing old friends. We had been in close correspondence with them since the beginning of our travel preparations in which they promptly answered any questions we had as well as easing our concerns about the safety of Rio.

Every morning we were greeted with such warm smiles. They offered assistance with composing daily itineraries tailored to our likings and offered reliable tour guides and drivers as an option (Note: we booked our tour with another guide we found on tripadvisor, please see my Rafa Torres review). We were pleasantly surprised upon arriving back to the pousadas in the evenings. Hand written notes accompanied by gifts of acai chocolates and authentic Amazonian jewelry were strewn our beds. Staying at Casa Cool Beans is like staying at a 4 star hotel...

We miss Casa Cool Beans dearly. If we ever have another opportunity to visit Rio, we will for sure hope to book a stay with them again. Thank you David, Lance, Sergio, and Mousse. We had the time of our lives!

-K

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed at ccb earlier in Feb. this year for 3 nights going on to Florianopolis for a month staying with our son Daniel. We my husband and son Matthew met up with Dan at ccb. which is such a lovely place Lance was away but David made us so welcome, nothing too much trouble. We loved Santa Teresa and had a great tour with a great guide who also does pick ups from the airport. David and the staff had so many good ideas of places to eat and visit with maps etc. We would definitely stay here again. Our room was downstairs, us in double bed and our two sons in twin beds sort of above us . The breakfasts were lovely, so much choice and very fresh. One of the highlights for me was little Mousse, such a friendly chap, if you stay at ccb he likes water being splashed in his face from the pool. This review is late because I had done one before but it must have got lost somewhere. Thanks again guys for making us so welcome. Lynda, Martyn, Matthew and Daniel King love to Moussee please.

Room Tip: David and Lance will choose the best for your needs I am sure.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Los Gatos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The renovated 11 room house in the Santa Teresa district is beautifully done. Our room was super spacious with a high ceiling. The hotel is located on a side street so traffic noise isn't a factor. David is at the breakfast stove every morning and both he and Lance are available for Rio touring advice and directions as needed. They will call on your behalf and purchase tickets for various tours. With their help we were able to hop on the subway at the foot of the hill and access the city. We enjoyed talking with them about Rio and life in Brazil in general.

Room Tip: Didn't see all of the rooms. Some of them have high ceilings.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bingen am Rhein, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

This marvelous Pousada is located in Santa Theresa, Rio's artist district. Although its some 20 min away from the main Beaches Copacabana and Ipanema, all of Rio's landmarks are easily accessible. The district is up-und -coming for the alternative scene, lots of bars and smaller restaurants, few fancy things, reasonable prices.
The pousada itself is simple and very well maintained by the two owners. Do not mistake a pousada for a 4* hotel, is has no TV on the room, no Gym etc., just simple rooms with beds, a closet and a minibar. The rooms are spacious, the ones we saw all had two double beds so, enough room for 4 people. It is very tidy, you can really feel that somebody put a lot of work and heart in it. Their service is incredibly friendly and attentive. They have a small pool on the top, not much good for swimming but to cool off on a hot day. A lot of plants and Garden around, lots of birds and some monkeys to see in the trees if you are lucky. The breakfast is simple and simply perfect. They get fresh fruits from the market nearby in the morning, its the best fruits I ever had for breakfast. You can have eggs, even fresh waffles, ham and cheese, coffee, tea, cereal...
I really have nothing to complain about.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Having worked organising an even for Rio+20, I realised that I had not seen the "real Rio" so I had 2 nights with Casa Cool Beans, fabulous rooms friendly vibes, David and Lance are so helpful with information about the area and whet to do in the day. The views, bars, restaurants and atmosphere in Santa Teresa is just lovely, and the proximity to Lapa makes for some great nights out. Rio Scenarium was a great place to go. Thanks Lance, David and Mouse x

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

With two days to explore Rio at the end of the worst work trip ever, all I wanted was somewhere to relax, unwind, and restore a little bit of reality before I had to trek all the way home. Having never been to LatAm before, I had no idea what to expect. The team at CCB exceeded any expectation I could have set. Friendly, kind, helpful, amusing, thoughtful - coupled with a fantastic location in this unsung but seriously cool corner of Rio. It is really a fabulous place, and they've done it up to a tee. Book early and go on the buggy tour which they can arrange with Dolores, who is an amazing Rio guide, as well as the Favela tour with Ricardo and Hang Gliding - insanely brilliant. Just please don't go there as otherwise I'll never get a booking when I want to go back?

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 1, the double on the terrace - loved it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Casa Cool Beans B&B - Santa Teresa? Share your experiences!