“In Rio, but somehow on another planet...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa 579

Save Saved
You added Casa 579 to your Saves list
Casa 579
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Rua Dr. Julio Otoni 579 | Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 20241-400, Brazil (Santa Teresa)   |
Ranked #25 of 235 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
München
“In Rio, but somehow on another planet...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

The place is located in Santa Teresa, which is up the hill from Lapa, in a beautiful residental area with an almost Mediterranean feel to it. Totally different from the messy Rio the cursory traveller gets to see. You need to take a bus, cab or tramway to get there, but it is definitely worth it. The view from the terrace is amazing. They have nicely decorated rooms and a very spacious dorm, which is pure luxury compared to the typical hostel dorm. Worth paying the little extra! I met great people there and made real friends. The staff is very helpful in organizing your stay. Great and cheap restaurant just around the corner, also with great views over downtown Rio, especially at night.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

I stay 4 days in Rio,and i have a wonderful time,the main reason!TERESA , all the connections for the lovers of dance,music,samba is a must to feel the pulse of Rio,this night at the sambodrome was a amazing dream,check the photos (facebook/casa579(photos during sambodrome weekend)you will understandThanks TERESA for this hot(36 c.)4 days and the crew of CASA 579Francois Montreal,Quebec

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

This place is a voyarists paradise; the views from the terraced breakfast area are breathtaking and cannot be conveyed merely by text. The staff and owners greeted us personally and introduced us to our room laiden with pretty effects that made the room feel very personal to us including a folder with a wealth of local and surrounding information to satisfy all requirements. The place is fantastically located in the Santa Teresa area within Rio where public transportation linked you to all areas. There are plenty of good restaurants in Santa Teresa where a friendly welcome awaits you. In booking this accommodation I had nothing to go by but the pictures on the website and upon our arrival nothing failed to please us. If the owners read this Michael and i had a wonderful time staying at the Casa 579. We visited during the Carnival time in February making it a fantastic experience but you have to be very aware of your possessions at all times during this busy time. The beaches were beautiful and the sun was very hot, the worst part of the trip was our luggage was broken into arriving and leaving Sao Paolo airport and would urge would be travellers to have combination locks and cling wrap your luggage completely. This experience did not dim our fantastic experience but made us more wise!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

Here are my thoughts about Casa 579.

Location: The guesthouse is located in an area of Santa Teresa where there are few restaurants or bars in the immediate area. The one exception is an excellent and inexpensive cantina less than a block away. This means that a night out generally requires taking a cab, bus or combi. These come frequently, so this is not as much of a limitation as it might seem.

Views. A good thing about the location is that it affords great views of the Cristo Redentor and other mountains dominating the Rio skyline. Many of the guestrooms have these views, and there is a lounge area with great views and a rooftop terrace. I didn't see much wildlife from the place, but one day I did look out and see a toucan in the tree, which was delightful.

Rooms. When I arrived, the place was suffering from water damage due to torrential rains the month before. The room I was to stay in was not habitable, so I ended up being shifted in and out of various rooms in the place. I stayed in the rooms named Beija Flor, Mangueira, and Salgueiro. The only room I didn't like was the charmless Salgueiro, which is basically a hostel-type room that is sometimes used for large groups of people, and other times as single or double residence. The Mangueira had a great terrace, and the Beija Flor had a private bathroom. The only problem I had with these rooms were the queen/full sized beds, which were really two beds pushed together which had a tendency to separate while sleeping.

Safety. The place seemed secure.

Staff. The staff often seemed disengaged and not too excited about giving useful information about the Santa Teresa and the rest of Rio de Janeiro. Part of the problem is that much of the English-speaking staff really hadn't spent much time in Rio de Janeiro, having come from places like Argentina and England. That being said, they were for the most part pleasant.

Breakfast. The breakfast was ok. Basically the standard fruit, bread and cheese continental breakfast you often get in Brazil.

Amenities. There is filtered water available on site for no charge, and wi-fi access.

Building. The house itself was once an opulent home in the hills of Santa Teresa. It maintains some of the charm from those days.

poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

I spent in Casa 579 four nights in November. That's for sure too short to enjoy this special place. I highly recommend it from many reasons. Firstly, the rooms are clean, cosy and really cute. Secondly, the delicious breakfast I miss a lot. Moreover, the girls from the reception are just fantastic. Maybe the location is not so good for those who want to spend all days on the beach but for those who want to feel a pint of the brazilian atmosphere it's just perfect. And one more thing - the view from the terrace - once you see it you know you're in the right place. Thank you Casa 579 !

pacific northwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

My stay at Casa 579, then end of Novemeber 2009, was beyond perfect and will remain fresh in my heart for a long time . From the beginning of my making arrangements from the states to during my 4 days of staying there, Teresa and her staff made my stay rich with memorable cultural experiences. My top priorities for lodging in Rio for 8 nights were: safety, feeling comfortable and safe as a single 58yo well traveled female , meeting the locals and other travelers.and having a good mixture of cultural experiences. I divided my 2 places to stay between the hills in Santa Teresa and Ipanema beach which was perfect and different from one another.

For myself and the others that I met while staiyng there was just what I wanted: a restful, warm feeling surrounded by the natural beauty Rio has to offer. CASA 579 is: quiet, spacious with a lovely outside deck (covered and not) overlooking the surrounding beauty, a lovely community room for eating, lounging and visiting, computer use with large windows and the spacious bedroom for 6 (secure lockers) again with amazing views and the security was unquestionablely high rated. Our breakfast was a delight in content and presentation.

If you want a party scene, loud music..this is NOT the place. On the other hand, if you're looking for a peaceful yet colorful experience of the richness of Santa Teresa......Casa 579 IS for you.

The location is at the top of the old Bohemian neighboood a minute walk to the original trolley line (which is a treat in itself) down the hill 5 minutes to Santa Teresa's quaint center with artistc shops, places to eat & drink , listen to music and enjoy the local flavor and then about another 15 minutes to Rio's vibrant center.

Without a doubt, CASA 579 was beyond perfect for me and I thank Teresa and her staff for all they shared with me in order to make my stay in Rio a memorable one with a rich feeling of the beauty of the culture and natural environment. I was able to visit a nearby neighborhood community center for children with one of Casa's 579 staff who volunteers there and Teresa has been involved with since it's beginning which added to my understanding of the beauty of the people and was a highlight for me.

If this sounds like what you're looking for...don't waste any time. Email casa 579 and check it out!!! I wish you rich and fun travels in Rio. Jude

Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at Casa 579. The staff was extremely helpful in helping us get organized and arrange a city tour. They made many calls on our behalf and really went the extra mile to get us sorted out. They were very personable and answered our many, many questions about life in Rio. We were not disappointed.

There were indeed some dogs barking in the neighborhood - but that is just what you get when you stay in a neighborhood as opposed to a high rise hotel.

I had my laptop with me - the free wifi worked great.

I really debated whether or not it made sense to stay in Santa Teresa instead of the more touristy beach areas. We chose Santa Teresa because it had more personable accomodation options and it offered a different side of Rio than the ultra-commercial Copacabana/Ipanema areas. We were not disappointed in those features. It did mean that we had to spend considerably more time (and/or money) getting to the more touristy spots, so that is another thing to consider. When reflecting on it after we left, we decided that by staying in Santa Teresa and having to commute further to the other areas of town we actually were able to see more of the various parts of town than if we'd just stayed in a more touristy area. So, overall we were pleased with our decision.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Casa 579? Share your experiences!