“I don't know how all the other people had a good time” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rio surf n stay

You added Rio surf n stay to your Saves list
Rio surf n stay
Rua Rai mundo Veras ,1140 | Recreio dos banderanties, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22795- 115, Brazil (Recreio dos Bandeirantes)   |
Vancouver, Canada
“I don't know how all the other people had a good time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I am just being honest....

The Rio surf n stay is at least an hour taxi ride away from EVERYTHING. The website suggests that it is in a great part of Rio and that there is a lot of things to do. This is NOT the case. The first night I got there, I came just before dinner time. I asked the front desk where there was a good place to get dinner. The woman at the front gave me a look like I had asked for something outrageous and wasn't very helpful. She showed me on a map of the area that there was a restaurant about a 20 minute walk away from the hostel. I asked if there was something closer and she said she didn't know. I also asked for a map so I wouldn't get lost trying to find this place to eat and they didn't have any. I ended up walking around for about an hour and everything within the area was closed. You know you are in the middle of nowhere when restaurants are closed before dinner time. I later found out that all the other people in the hostel had resorted to going grocery shopping at the store about a 30 minute walk away because there wasn't really any places to eat.... I could go on but here are some "nut shell" points

The showers electrocute you EVERY time you turn them on.
The room/bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a very long time - green and black mold everywhere
There was dead smeared mosquitoes ALL over the walls with blood (EWW)
I had booked a room with the air conditioner and paid extra - it didn't work and after asking about it the woman at the front just shrugged and nothing was done about it.
The door to my room locked me out one day for 2 hours - from that point forward I couldn't lock my door to my room - which is super safe when you are a girl sleeping alone - NOT.

I had booked 2 weeks there and stayed 3 nights - all of which the internet was down
It got dark at around 5pm because it was winter which is fine BUT the hostel is in the middle of nowhere, its dark, its not safe to walk around at night (even in groups), there is no internet- THERE was NOTHING to do.
This was not just my opinion... the 5-6 other people that were staying there all felt the same way and were all waiting for the internet to work again to book hostels other places.

When I left and asked for my money back they said that they would only give me 50% of what I had paid (which is the agreement when you make a booking with them). After I politely complained about the fact that the pictures on the website and the video look nothing like what it really is (the surf video is filmed at Ipenema beach which is an hour away) they finally agreed to give me 70% back. It took them 3 weeks and phone calls every day for them to refund my money.

If you are looking to learn to surf in Brazil AND actually enjoy some of Brazil... I would look for somewhere else to stay. I went to not only enjoy surfing but to enjoy culture as well... you won't find it here...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Me and my friends stayed at Rio surf n stay for a week and had a great time learning how to surf with awezome instructors and chilling with cool people at night. The rooms were nice, and breakfast was good. If I go back to Brazil I will definetely go back to this place as well.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I really had a great time enjoying the caneval and learning to surf. The staff is friendly and helpful. The atmosphere was relaxing although it was carneval. As it is very close to the beach this is perfect for surfing lessons.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

If you are looking for surf, quiet place, and looking forward to meeting people from all around the world that is the right place!

My only complaint is that it is a bit far from everything in Rio de Janeiro, except for Barra da Tijuca, so if you plan to go a lot to Copacabana, Ipanema, Lapa and other places like that, I would suggest paying for the Tour with the hostel, or to be ready to suffer with Rio`s public transportation, or save money for the taxis...

Yet it is a nice and peacefull place, which for sure I will always choose to stay in Rio de Janeiro. :)

Also the staff are great people!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Rio surf n stay is a spot you shouldn't miss if you want to see a different rio then just copacabana and havaianas. To get a more real experience of rio de janeiro this is the place to be. the hostel is real close to some really beautifull beaches (dont miss prainha!!) and a less tourist place. its a really good place to surf. the staff is really nice and personal, the owner took us to have some reall nice meat in the 'favela' close to the hostel, that is not a favela as you may know on the tv but just a place were people live, work and eat. it was a really relaxing experience and whas really worth the trip. maybe a little bit more difficult to find then ipanema but the people who live there were really nice to us and showed us the way. we never felt unsave and had a real good time!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Best place for surf !!
close to beach.
quiet and clean, nice stuff.

I love it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

To put it simply. I had a blast. Local area had really cheap dining and shopping. Great beaches and friendly staff. Spoke reasonably good english and would even go out to party if you got to know them!

Room Tip: If you dont want to get eaten alive better bring strong bug repellant.