“Best hotel in Rio Worst Music in Rio” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro

You added Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro to your Saves list
Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Vieira Souto, 80 | Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22420, Brazil (Formerly Fasano Hotel & Restaurant)   |
Ranked #4 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Clarksville, Maryland
“Best hotel in Rio Worst Music in Rio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Fasano was a great hotel experience and the roof pool scene definitely lived up to it's reputation of beautiful woman and great wait-staff ... EXCEPT the music was more than horrible. We had such a great time being part of the Ipanema pool scene and having the staff take such great care of us, but the music was so bad we begged the staff to use our song lists. Yes the music was so bad that it did adversely affected our experience. And yes we understand that Philippe Starck created around the heyday of the Bossa Nova era in the 50’s and 60‘s but the hotel does not need to play that era of music. The Bossa Nova era of bad 50’s and 60‘s oldies is not the song list to support the ultra cool pool scene. 411 ... Fasano update your song list.

Our room was ultra Philippe Starck over looking the Ipanema ocean. The wooden floors, cool mirrors, and ultra comfortable bed was well worth the pricey price tag of the room. We were on the 4th floor over looking the ocean. We never heard or were ever bothered by the noise from the street. Actually we found the street scene to be clam and friendly.

We were not into the actual beach scene in front of the hotel. It was packed with people and vendors selling everything from food to string bikinis all day everyday. The Fasano beach chairs actually sit down into the sand so every time the wind blew or a little kid ran past you, you got sand all over you. And yes i know, "Your at the beach ... expect a little sand", but it was just not our scene. I suggest to experience the beach for a couple of hours and then head back up to the Fasano pool scene.

Must do's while you stay at the Fasano: Use the Fasano hotel bikes to experience Copacabana and Ipanema beaches ... Arrange a private tour of Rio through the Fasano (Marco Cantuaria was as entertaining as insightful. Request him and you will not be disappointed) ... Arrange reservations at some of the best Rio restaurants (Fasano Al Mare, Sushi Leblon, Zuka, Roberta Sudbrack) ... Most of all relax and enjoy the pool scene. The fabulous staff (special note of Rafael, Baltimore Raven fan) take create care of you while you soak up the sun and drink some caipirinhas.

Enjoy the Fasano because you definitely have payed for it.

Room Tip: request oceanfront and on or above the 4th floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Moscow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed in Fasano Hotel beginning January 2013. Actually that was the 3rd time I came to Rio and the previous two times I stayed at Copacobana palace which turned out to be better choice.

Despite the fact that Rio de Janeiro is one of my favourite places in the world, I could not recommend anyone to stay at Fasano due to clear imbalance between price (almost $1000 for a very small room) and quality. Quality in my opinion sufferes to the following reasons:

1) Unattentive and unknowledgable staff. Example: the concierge can recommend only one Churasqueria in the city (local barbeque place no less popular than McDonalds in New York) and cannot recoommend any night club

2) Not much space: very small entrance, small restaurant where breaffast is served (I had to wait for 30 minutes for the breakfast), very small rooms again taken into account the price

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The Fasano is one of the best hotels we've ever stayed. Service was amazing, the location could not have been better. It's truly a 5 star hotel. The hotel pool has the best view of the Ipanema beach beach, you can sit on the rooftop all day and just enjoy the amazing view. We hope to go back again soon!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Gallarate, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Fasano is great hotel, small, chic and with an amazing view of Ipanema and Leblond beach from the rooftop pool.
The italian restaurant is very good as well as the price! Rooftop pool is average as food quality. Can be better of a 5 star LHW hotels.

Price for stay is really high but since there are no many options (really not except for Copacabana Palace and SantaTeresa but different location for sure) in Rio I can understand they offer these prices. It is third time I go and I'll probably go back again,

Superior rooms are small for over 750 USD x night (breakfast not included if you not a member of LHW)

Room Tip: If you can afford go for the sea view. Be prepared to pay at least 900 USD per nigh breakfast includ...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I know that my very positive review is not one that everyone will agree with. But for me this remains THE hotel in Rio, bar none. Some of the previous less than positive reviews do resonate: There are inconsistencies about allowing non guests up to the roof bar and pool. There is wear and tear. Service is not seamless. I got no turn down service one night. BUT there are areas of true excellence which I reckon make this Fasano one of the world's great urban hotels. To say that it is next to a 4 lane high way is like saying the Parthenon is just a pile of stones! Yes there is of course a road between the hotel and the fabulous beach. But when did you last see a road in the centre of a massive metropolis with so many joggers, skaters, bicyclists, skate boarders? From 7 in the morning until late into the night. The fact is that non human traffic is pretty light. And what lies beyond? Well one of world's truly great urban beaches, that's all. So the location is first rate and don't let anyone convince you it isn't.

Personally I love the interior. It is minimalist; for me the dark wood and white walls and uncluttered bedrooms are perfect. I like the quirky mirrors. OK I always have a room facing the ocean from a high floor. So the views - and the natural light- are awe inspiring.

The top floor is fabulous. A great bar, lovely pool, decent snack food, plenty of sun beds and tables and chairs in the shade. Ok, the space isn't huge, but it is gorgeous and I can only think of a couple of other city hotels in the world with such magnificent views.

The dining room downstairs is fine...very good breakfasts, good service. Dinner is delicious if you like fine Italian food in Rio.

So why only very good and not excellent ? When the service is as good as a Mandarin Oriental and when they expand the tiny gym somehow, then I will give them the extra star!

Room Tip: Rooms 701 or 702 are outstanding
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

With my fiancé working for a magazine that had done a piece on the Hotel Fasano, or more importantly its rooftop bar she was keen for us to spend some of our time in the city there. At first I couldn't believe the room rates, particularly given I was booking 3 nights mid-week and that was before I noticed the room sizes. The 'Superior' rooms with a 'Courtyard' view are only 30 sq.m, hardly generous. Nonetheless I booked a Courtyard Room safe in the knowledge that we would be staying in what is supposed to be Rio's best hotel. Sadly the illusion didn't last long.

Upon our arrival we ushered into the lobby and confronted by a hotel guest and three members of staff having a heated argument, hardly what you expect to see inside your first 10 seconds in a five star hotel and even more puzzling why anyone thought the space by the front door was the appropriate place for such an exchange puzzled me. As a fluent Portuguese speaker my partner tells me they were arguing about his room and the treatment he had received at the hands of some of the waiters. Our check-in seemed to take forever, probably because they couldn't find my reservation until they requested my booking reference, though even with this they had us down as staying for two nights instead of three. Check-in completed we asked for access to their wi-fi network and were dutifully informed that is wasn't working but should be up again before the end of the evening.

As we looked around you could see the characteristic marks of Phillippe Starck but it didn't all seem to make sense. The lobby, bar and restaurant are largely broken up by curtains but the net effect is that you can't find anyone who comes to visit. The initial impression is good but as stare at the details you find that illuminated glass floor panels are loose under foot and many of the wood panels on the accommodation doors have been damaged by clumsy removal of luggage. Once we arrived at our room the claustrophobia set in as we realised there was barely enough space for us to co-exist with our suitcases. The bathroom was small and not overly creative; if you have stayed at The Sanderson in London then prepare for disappointment. On the plus side the bed was comfortable and the linens of good quality. Anyone who stays here is certain to have trouble with the light switches which are scattered everywhere and the lack of any 220v power sockets , leaving you to charge your phone on a 110v, not good for anyone with a smartphone.

Onwards to the rooftop bar then and the view is certainly impressive, the seating comfortable with a pleasant shaded area, the pool shallow (good for cooling off, not for swimming in) and the staff.....not that bothered. You can wait a long time for a drink here and the food is forgettable at best. We witnessed another Brazilian lady arguing with a waiter that he had ignored her twice when she had tried to call him over and she had been more than polite in her endeavours about it until that point. At least the wi-fi was working by now, but they charge you $50 reais a day for the privilege, something I could not fathom given the exorbitant room rates. Unfortunately the pool was further plagued by two women who were striking up conversation with anyone who would talk to them and after 10 minutes they would drop in how they were building some very luxurious homes in Es Salvador for only $2 million dollars each, at which point they would quickly produce a book full of photos....I thought I had left my selling environment in England.

Things really came to a head on our second night when I went up to our room to look for something, but being a man I couldn't find it. Upon arriving downstairs my other half decides she will look with me and as we both approach the elevator we are stopped by a large security guard who proceeds not to be able to speak a word, even Portuguese. He ushers one of the front desk staff over but they are busy and so he keeps us waiting there angrily for several minutes. Numerous other hotel guests pass us for the lift the guard has no interest in stopping them, just us. Eventually the chap from the front desk gets to us and explains they are conducting 'occasional checks' on guests and asks us for our room number and both our names. After some more time wastage on their computer he 'clears' us to go to our room, but with no apology in sight. At this point neither of us had ever felt so unwelcome in a hotel before.....

Unfortunately the story does not end here as the next day we are told that two of our friends are not permitted to join us for a drink on the rooftop bar despite having been allowed the day before. Upon producing the guest handbook to the front desk and pointing out that the bar is 'exclusively for the use of hotel guests and their visitors', I asked what had changed from one day to the next. Once again I was asked for my number and then told that the hotel would be full that evening and so visitors would not be allowed. After some heated argument and my observation that there were only 10 people sat between the pool and the bar the clerk relented, but the damage was done.

The only glimmer of hope this hotel had was a pleasant and efficient lady who checked us out and Gabriel in guest relations who, unlike his colleagues, will try and do his best for you at all times.

In summary, I might have been a tad harsh to give Fasano Rio one star but in honesty I would have given it zero if I had the option. In this price bracket you expect something exceptional, but we've experience 10 times better in Hiltons. If you value your money then go to Copacabana Palace, or if you don't mind being away from the sea try Hotel Santa Teresa where the staff actuall care and the rooms are large enough to breathe in.

Room Tip: One night is enough for the experience. Book another hotel for the rest of your stay. Courtyard room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manhttan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I was looking for a modern hotel as a home base during my stay in Rio. This disappointed. I am from New York, and it felt like the touristy hip hotels that lack any kind of personality. For the price, the location was disappointing (on a 4 lane highway and noisy) and the rooms were not worth the money. Views are a dime a dozen in Rio, so there is no need to spend $1000/night for one. With this said, the staff was gracious and the service impeccable (as is in almost all of Brazil).

We much preferred the Santa Teresa hotel (and moved there mid-trip). Although the location is off the beach scene, and we were concerned it was not near all the things we wanted to do, this turned out to be no problem. The hotel design is sophisticated and it has great views. The food was fresh and innovative, and much more authentic than the Fasano. And Sunday afternoons Santa Teresa comes alive with music and opening of art galleries, with people spilling into the streets. One of the highlights of our trip. At the bottom of Santa Teresa are the museums, a farmer's market, and great music.

On my next trip, I will stay there again, and avoid the Fasano.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro? Share your experiences!