“Top standard hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Barra

Save Saved
You added Windsor Barra to your Saves list
Windsor Barra
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Lucio Costa 2630, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22620170, Brazil (Barra da Tijuca)   |
Ranked #13 of 212 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Sydney, Australia
“Top standard hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We stayed here during the World Cup period for a few nights and we were not disappointed. The views from the rooftop pool and bar were great despite the weather being a bit on the rainy side. The breakfast buffet is one thing that must NOT be missed, with plenty of delicious options of cold cuts, cheeses, fresh fruit, baked goods, danishes, cakes, pastries... I could go on. The taxi service into the South Zone of Rio is a bit on the expensive side, although there are buses every 15 minutes which pass right by the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
marcos b, Gerente geral at Windsor Barra, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing the Windsor Barra Hotel & Congressos and for bringing to our knowledge important impressions related to your visit to our resort.

Your comments are our tools to improve and to adjust our product to the needs of highly demanding guests such as you, thus offering the best in services and facilities.

Sincerely yours,

Gerente Geral

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Despite a fantastic roof top pool, the treatment of the staff at this ridiculously overpriced hotel would quite frankly make me want to stay anywhere else but here. I stayed for 2 nights on very average rooms which were approx $1000USD/night.

Was not made to feel welcome, was questioned when sitting by the pool if I was actually a hotel guest despite a key card for the room being right next to me.

My room smelt bad and the air conditioning unit sounded horrendous. The water could be heard being flushed throughout the night in the next rooms and the doors were slammed in the corridors making it very difficult to sleep.

Poor breakfast. Bad treatment by the staff in the bar. All in all one of the worst places I've ever stayed. Avoid staying here at all costs.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here if you value your money and like to be treated well.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
marcos b, Gerente geral at Windsor Barra, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Mr. Daniel

We are very sorry about what you related. We are going to verify what happened in your stay here because this kind of complain is very unusual in our Hotel.

Once again, we would like to thank you very much for your precious collaboration. We will be looking forward to your next visit to the Windsor Barra Hotel & Congressos, where our team is always at your disposal to guarantee the excellence of our services.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Perfect safe location on the fabulous Barra beach.,wonderful attentive and professional and friendly staff in a pristine modern building that looks and functions very well are the immediate pluses that come to mind .I had booked a long time ahead so enjoyed better rates than were being charged to people who booked more recently . They get what they can . I enjoyed my stay for four nights and I'd go back there . But the Internet is an expensive extra and it is so weak and sporadically available that you just can't rely on it . For a place that is clearly trying very hard to be the best it is surprising that this is so poor and frankly annoying that they have the gall to charge extra fort it . If I were a businessman in Barra I'd open an Internet cafe next door and clean up .

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
marcos b, Gerente geral at Windsor Barra, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the preference given to the Windsor Barra Hotel & Congress, and for bringing to our knowlegement important impressions refering to your stay here at our hotel.

We are really satisfied to know that our services had gone up your expectations. It is by the comments of our guests that we try to adequate the needs, trying to always offer an excellent stay with us.

Our staff was very honored by your compliments and send sincere thanks.

Reiterating our thanks for your valuable contribution and, since now, we are waiting for the next opportunity to receive you in Rio de Janeiro, where all our staff will be at your entire disposal to guarantee the excellence of our services.

Sincerely yours,

Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Like most of the things in Barra da Tijuca, including Barra da Tijuca ITSELF, this hotel is overrated in a silly way. There is absolutely nothing special with it, or the place, compared to what Rio or the cost North and South of it can offer.
The hotel is certainly of very high standard, but, as I said, average in anything that offers. So, the price is totally unjustified.
In addition to the mediocrity of the hotel (always in relation to price), they charge an absurd amount of money for the internet, which does not work in wireless mode in some rooms (including mine).
I believe I give an helpful advice id I recommend to avoid this hotel and Barra da Tijuca.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
marcos b, Gerente geral at Windsor Barra, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the preference given to the Windsor Barra Hotel & Congress, and for bringing to our important impressions regarding your visit to our Hotel.

It is through feedback from our guests that we try to adapt the guest needs in order to provide them an excellent stay with us.

We would like to inform you that we will forward your comments about the internet to managers responsible for us to study the possibility of implementing your suggestions.

We reiterate our thanks for their valuable collaboration and, as of now, we await a new opportunity to meet you in Rio de Janeiro.

Regards,

Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I was very disappointed in this hotel, especially considering the high price. The room decor was outdated and the bathroom in need of repair. The bed was not that comfortable and pillows flat and in poor supply. The buffet breakfast had a good selection but the waiters were hard to find to get a cup of coffee.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
marcos b, Gerente geral at Windsor Barra, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing the Windsor Barra Hotel & Congress and for bringing to our knowledge important impressions related to your visit to our hotel.

We will be looking forward to your next visit, where our team will always be at your disposal to guarantee the excellence of our services.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

It took my second visit to this hotel to write a review, after shocking incident in 2012. Knowing that I would return to Windsor Barra in May 2014, exactly two years after our first visit, I wanted to ensure that my review was accurate and not coloured by the incident I encountered in 2012.

First, the hotel proudly displays its four star Trip Advisor 2013 Excellence Award on the right hand side of the reception desk. The lobby is large and bright containing many floral arrangements containing orchids. There are many large leather couches for guests to relax in and the air conditioning system is perfect. There are several lobby shops that are vacant and are covered with white paper over the glass doors. The hotel restaurant is located in the lobby and the food is good. There are breakfast and luncheon buffets with many selections.

The hotel has quite a bit of marble in the lobby and the the guest rooms. Our room was a reasonable size. The guest room has wooden floors and pine furniture-- kept clean and shiny; no question the rooms are clean. The unfortunate use of gold bedspreads, circa 1970 result in a loss of points. The artwork does not seem to reflect the best of Brazil, a place bursting with talent and creativity. I can only think of talented young artist that would jump at the opportunity to showcase the best of Brazil, via their artwork. Of great irritation is the internet price structure-- $22.00 per day per DEVICE. I have seen a little of the world and this is the most aggressive internet pricing structure that I have ever encountered-for slower speed internet at that.

The hotel is located right across from the beach and there are several beach bars peppered across the top of the beach where one can partake in coconut water or a caiphrahina.

Overall I can say that the housekeeping and door staff are kind and take great pride in there work. However, there is a problem front of house with SOME of the staff. For example, the hotel main entrance faces the beach on Avenue Lucio Costa, there is a side entrance on a street called Rue Marhtino Mesquita. In 2012, after a day of hiking, two colleagues and I returned bedraggled looking to the hotel and the driver, for some unknown reason, dropped us off at the side entrance on Rue Marhtino Mesquita. We proceeded through the side door; first my male friend, then me, then his wife. As I proceed through, a burly security staffer, harshly grabbed my arm and started to pull me out of the hotel (remember I was following my male friend and I do look Brazilian). I screamed "what are you doing" and my friend's wife, who saw the whole incident simultaneously began to scream. When security realized that he was handling a paying guest he released my arm in horror. Shaken and visibly upset, I returned to my room to my husband and we proceeded to the front desk for an explanation and apology. After I pointed out the security staffer in question, my husband was told it was a "just a misunderstanding". We surmise their assumption was that I was local following my male friend into the hotel, violating the strict "no guest" policy...........

Fast forward to May 2014, we decided to put the incident behind us and start fresh. At check-in the reception staff had a mix-up with our reservation. Rather than discreetly resolving the issue, the staff member proceeds to progress into passive-aggressive mode with my husband. The issue was later resolved after my husband put said staffer's attitude back on course. We concluded that the behavior with some front of house staff, must be down to a culture clash. To us, grabbing a person without consent is strictly verboten, but it must be permissible in a place where huge security staff is posted at every hotel entrance. Anyhow, a nice hotel, great location just be aware of some of the front of house attitude.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the beach
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
marcos b, Gerente geral at Windsor Barra, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Mrs. Gina,

We would like to thank you for choosing the Windsor Barra Hotel & Congressos and for bringing to our knowledge important impressions related to your visit to our Hotel.

We are very sorry about what you related. We are going to verify what happened in your stay, because this kind of complaints is very unusual in our Hotel.

Once again, we would like to thank you very much for taking your time in providing your constructive comments about our structure and services.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Quick summary: I was here on business, and this is a repeat stay. I was impressed by the renovation of the hotel compared with my last visit -- guest rooms and public rooms have been freshened up, Service was good and professional. Location is right on the beach.

My room (1120) has a nice beach view to the south. The king-sized bed was very comfortable, This is a mini-suite with an anti-room with sofas/chairs/table for 2-4 persons in a meeting or meal. Separate upholstered chair in the bedroom for comfort. Good bed linens. Reasonably spacious room with good work desk area. Typical business class amenities.

Wifi charge is ridiculous, and since I was visiting a subsidiary of my company, did not use it.

The furnishings are fairly basic, but the housekeeping first-rate.

Lots of marble in the bathroom; L'Occitane bath toiletries. Thank goodness there was a tub with a shower.

Good breakfast buffet in the restaurant, priced about $20, but worth it. We also had beers on the rooftop lounge on the 17th floor, which has nice 360-degree views. A nice end to a work day.

The hotel has a restaurant, but we went out to some of the nearby restaurants a short walk away that were very good, or a quick cab ride to others. I felt reasonably safe walking around this area with my business colleagues.

My only comment is that prices seemed to have jumped a lot in Rio this trip compared to my last visit a few years ago -- the Oymypics and World Cup effect?

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing Windsor Barra Hotel and for bringing to our knowledge relevant impressions regarding our Hotel.

We got pleased that you were satisfied with our Hotel and the service. It is through our guests comments that we find the motivation for doing our best. And, I agree with you that the view from the 17th floor is outstanding!

Thank you very much to take your time to write these precious comments about your stay with us.

Looking forward to your visit again!!!

Kind Regards,

Gerente Geral

Been to Windsor Barra? Share your experiences!