“Excellent clean boutique hotel with an amazing view” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Brisa Barra Hotel

You added Brisa Barra Hotel to your Saves list
Brisa Barra Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Lucio Costa, 5700, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22620-172, Brazil (Barra da Tijuca)   |
Ranked #65 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Alamo, California
“Excellent clean boutique hotel with an amazing view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights for a business conference he was attending, so we didn't know what to expect. We had a view of the ocean that was fantastic, as the beach was right across the street. We really liked the cleanliness, as well as the pleasant efficiency of the staff (Mauricio spoke English and was kind and very helpful).

I was on my own in the daytime, so the tour that was arranged by the concierge staff was really perfect--small and personable (Try to get Victor as your guide--he is awesome).
The breakfast buffet was very good with some local dishes available. Also the small bar in the lobby made the best caipirinha! I had one my first night there, and never had another that rivaled it.

The only downside was the hotel's location from downtown Rio. I took taxis to the city proper and to the botanical garden, and it took a fair amount of time to get there due to traffic and distance. If you take a yellow cab you need to pay in cash, though it is less expensive than calling for a red cab which takes credit/debit cards.

I should mention something about the noise at night since other writers mentioned this. Neither my husband nor I were bothered by it. It was sort of loud, I suppose, but it was a white noise from the ocean across the street with the sound of cars passing by, not a lot of honking or voices, etc. So to me this was just ambient sound. Maybe we are immune since we spend a fair amount of time in Manhattan, where it really is noisy.

Room Tip: You must get a room facing the ocean!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Florianopolis, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I loved staying in this hotel. Nice and fast staff, new and really clean room. I was lucky enough to get the highestfloor facing the beautiful Barra beach.
Very good bbreakfast.... Go for a walk.... You'll probably be faster than cars. There's always traffic jams.

• Stayed October 2013
Hammond, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I took this trip with two foreign friends. For the most part, our trip was more business than tourism, except that we stayed in Rio de Janeiro from Saturday night until Monday morning. Considering that Sunday was Mother's day, the hotel was surprisingly empty... or perhaps not so surprising, given the rate (US$300/night for a triple-room). Yes, it is expensive, but the view/location might just be well worth the price we paid. Furthermore, proximity to the Yellow Line makes it relatively easy to commute to the International Airport or out of Rio. The staff was professional, friendly, polite and helpful. The few interactions we had, they were very accommodating. Valet parking is also included, although one of the drivers did not know how to start a key-less car. Beds were narrow, but I had no problem sleeping through the night, even with the AC working (not too noisy). Breakfast was included in the price and was plentiful, with a variety of fruits, juices, and breads. There were a few (and rather small) annoyances: internet was paid (US$10-US$13 depending on R$ exchange rates), the loss of the magnetic/electronic room key would incur in surcharges, and don't ask for an espresso: at US$2.50 a shot, you would think that coffee was imported from Europe... but in reality it did not taste that great. All in all, it was worthwhile as my friends got to wake up to an astonishing view of Barra Beach.

Room Tip: 1. Wireless internet worked better near the corridor, away from the balcony. 2. The staff explains...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in April 2013. This is a modern luxury hotel. The internet cost was approx. 10.00/day. The buffet breakfast was very good. A nice assortment of fresh fruit, eggs that were prepared in many different ways, crepes etc. We paid more for an ocean view. It was beautiful. The rooms were very clean. The staff at the front desk spoke English & were very helpful. I like firm beds so I found them comfortable. Never used the pool as the ocean was across the street. The only negative I found was that the patio window is only single pane. The traffic on the streets is heavy during daylight hours & you could easily hear it with the patio door closed. Having the ocean view was nice as at night we could hear the waves crashing. If noise is an issue bring ear plugs. Our flight left in the evening & they accommodated us by storing our luggage & provided us with an area to change in prior leaving. They arranged reasonable Taxi service for us back to the airport. Rio is very expensive. You may not be getting the same for this price as in other countries but in comparison with other hotels in Rio was equivalent or better. I was concerned about booking this hotel when I read some of the reviews but very relieved when we arrived & it met our expectations.

Room Tip: Rooms that had ocean view may be noisy as patio door is single pane. The noise of the waves is soot...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brasil/Suiça
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The hotel is quite new and modern, on the beach, with boa vista. The staff is very helpfu and friendly. The breakfast was just reasonable. For a modern, rather expensive business hotel, however, the WiFi should be free. If you misplace the plastic room key and you cannot return it, you have to pay 21R$, and if you return the plastic card later the hotel does not bother to refund such a small amount.

Room Tip: The rooms with a view to the beach are nice and spacious
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Between August and December of last year (2012), I made many trips to Rio for business (10+). On average, I would travel with 3-4 colleagues and we all started staying at Brisa Barra due to its proximity to our work location. The rooms were decent and very clean but the beds are hard as concrete slabs. Actually, concrete slabs might be more comfortable. The windows are not insulated at all so all of the road noise and waves crashing on the shore were bothersome at first but I got used to it over time. The waves were kind of nice and the hotel is far enough down the beach that traffic wasn't a huge issue at night. A/C units in the rooms worked more of the time but there were issues on several occasions. Water draining from sinks and showers is a common problem. I was often standing in water up to my ankles while in the shower.

With the exception of two wonderful ladies (Viviane & Paula) at the front desk, the hotel management was awful!! I wouldn't even employ them at McDonalds!! They were rude and condescending to all of our employees at one point or another and didn't care if we stayed or left. You would think they would do everything in their power to keep a large corporation such as ours using their hotel bringing them, at times, nearly $30K per month based on a $200 USD per night rate. Nope...they couldn't have cared less when we pulled all of our employees out and informed them that Brisa was no longer an option for us in Barra da Tijuca. You have to pay completely upfront for your room which leaves absolutely no flexibility if travel dates change as they often do for business travelers. Trying to get a refund to a credit card if we had to leave early was impossible. I got in the habit of only letting them charge me for a week or two at a time in case I had to leave early. They wanted to give hotel credits vs. refunds. What if we didn't return...then what? The front desk people are actually trained to tell everyone "No" regardless of the request. I know this first-hand because I became friends with one of them. They are reprimanded for trying to provide a level of service you'd expect in any other hotel for simple things. It's deplorable that they are supposedly marketing the hotel as a business hotel. They are SO NOT business traveler friendly!!

The location is crappy too. While there over the course of those months, there were several violent crimes in the area. Granted it's "Rio" and that risk is everywhere but at least if you stay further up the beach toward central Barra, it's more populated at night so walking around and things is more comfortable. Safety in numbers. Options to eat within walking distance of Brisa Barra are few and far between...two restaurants to be exact other than the so-so food in the hotel. Further up the beach where there are more hotels, there are endless choices for meals all walkable. As for the beach, the one plus is that it's far enough down at the edge of Barra da Tijuca that it wasn't crowded very often. The hotel does also have a nice pool and a shallow dip-pool for kids.

Do yourself a favor, look elsewhere in the area before considering this hotel. There ARE other options. Barra does tend to be pricier than some of the more touristy destinations and space availability is often very limited. Ipanema, Copacabana or Leblon are much better options if you don't need to be in Barra specifically. There is also a lot more nearby to see and do in those areas.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, request an ocean view room. They have nice balconies and the higher up you a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Hotel is recent but is lacking service and price paid is far too expensive for what you get. I had a very bad experience at this hotel with poor service at the reception, employees complaining about their manager, no taxis in the area (45min wait). Bed wasnt confortable and the beach location is where the waves are biggest in Barra so dangerous for children but great for surfers, poor restaurants options in the area so overall this hotel is tricky because it is newest comparing to Rio's average but location and bad service made it a very bad experience. There are better options for same or cheapest price in Barra.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Brisa Barra Hotel? Share your experiences!