“Best Kept Secret” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Copa Hotel

You added Windsor Copa Hotel to your Saves list
Windsor Copa Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Nossa Senhora De Copacabana 335, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22020-002, Brazil (Copacabana)   |
Ranked #13 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Dallas
“Best Kept Secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I traveled solo to Rio De Janeiro and stayed at the Windsor Copa Hotel. They had at least one Front Desk worker who spoke English. The entire staff was very friendly and always greeting you whether you understood or not...so you smile and nod your head. The single room I had was a view of balconies among people who live there. This didn't bother me because the views are out of this realm and I didn't care about paying for an Ocean View. The room was very tidy, neat and clean and I thought the beds slept well. I like the fact that you could put your things in a safe. The internet is free and was a good enough speed. I didn't have any problems with that. This was my first time coming here...the only thing I did not like was when you first come out of customs and you are heading to the outside for a taxi. There are 4 windows of soliciting hustlers of Brazilian women who want you to use the BLUE or RED taxi service. (So this taxi stand area is inside) Stay away from these. They show you the 109 price to take you to Copacabana but it is rigged. They beat me out of $40 extra real when coming back I payed 60 real. The only thing about the yellow taxi driver who charged me 60 real heading back to the airport; was he was driving so damn slow as to make sure he was going to get his 60 real. He drove like we were towing dynamite and I almost told him put the damn pedal to the medal but he wouldn't have understood. I will definitely stay at Windsor Copa as they are only a couple of blocks from the beach and they will provide you with beach towels. When I checked out that morning...they were happy to hold my bags until I came back before heading to the airport.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
MonaSamir, Gerente de relações com clientes at Windsor Copa Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your preference while choosing Windsor Copa!!!

Thank you also for your compliments regarding our delicious breakfast, with a large variety of fresh fruits and juices. I am glad you have enjoyed our location, in the very heart of Copacabana, 1 block from the beach and from the restaurants and stores of the area, as much as you enjoyed the service provided by our staff.
Looking forward to welcoming you soon back at Windsor Copa!

Mona Samir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Great location - only a block from Copacabana beach. It was very clean. The service was good, friendly & helpful. The breakfast was great! The only bad thing is that it was slightly on the expensive side, but Rio isn't a cheap city so you won't do much better. Overall, I'd say it's a great choice!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MonaSamir, Gerente de relações com clientes at Windsor Copa Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing the Windsor Copa Hotel on your recent trip to our beautiful city and also for taking your time to help us through your comments. I'm sure that they will be of great value to other tripadvisor travelers!

We appreciate your comments and we hope to welcome you back in Rio de Janeiro soon!

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Just one block from the beach but without seafront prices. A medium-sized modern hotel with good quality accommodation. I didn't eat in the restaurant at night but the hot and cold buffet breakfast was excellent. All of the staff were friendly and attentive and nothing was too much trouble for them. I wish I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear guest,

we would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us and other Trip Advisor users.
I am glad that you have enjoyed our location, varied breakfast buffet and the service provided by our staff.

We look forward to have you as our guest again in the near future!

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is a 3-star hotel and it is probably the best 3-star that I ever stayed at!

Rooms are new, basic, clean and comfortable. View is negligible, to the other side of the Sra Copacabana street. Maybe some rooms have better view.

Breakfast is good.

Location is excellent. 2 min away from the Copacabana Palace hotel.

Seemed like most guests were Brazilian or South American, many from tour groups.

If you are looking for good value, this is excellent.

Forget their concierge service etc, this is a 3-star hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MonaSamir, Gerente at Windsor Copa Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

we would like to thank you for choosing and recommending the Windsor Copa Hotel. I am glad that you have enjoyed our location, just 1 block from the beach!
we look forward to have you as our guest again in the near future.

Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Located very near to the beach - just one block to the magnificent sands of Copacabana. There are plenty of shops and restaurants around - for good Italian food try La Trattoria, just round the corner to the left. People were queueing in the rain to get in here. Maxim's by the beach is also very good with generous portions. Or there's Apo & Apirim a couple of blocks away where the buffet food is charged by weight.

The metro is only about 5 minutes walk away and just one stop from Botafogo, for great views of Sugarloaf.

The hotel room was plain but comfortable. Quite a lot of traffic noise at the front.

Staff were helpful and the breakfast was very good and varied. There is no bar though.

As for safety, the metro and the city seemed fine (in the day time) as long as you take the normal precautions. I walked extensively in the centre and along the waterfront and took a number of metro trips without ever feeling even slightly threatened.
Copacabana even more so. I didn't walk around extensively after dark, but I certainly didn't feel it was unsafe to leave the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the front due to the busy road
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
MonaSamir, Gerente at Windsor Copa Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your preference while choosing Windsor Copa Hotel.

Thank you also for your compliments regarding our delicious breakfast, with a large variety of fresh seasonal fruits and juices. We are glad that you have enjoyed our location, in the very heart of Copacabana, just 1 block from the beach and from the great restaurants and stores of the area. Looking forward to welcoming you soon back at Windsor Copa!

Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

I have seen many 3* hotels in Rio, and this is by far the nicest cleanest and friendliest of all visited.

Breakfast is very good, staff is amazingly friendly, especially Hugo (a receptionist) speaks excellent English and has only the best advise for your questions and/or problems.

It's 2 minutes away from the beach, surrounded by small shops and food places and only minutes away from the best Churrascaria in Rio (Carretão). If you have eaten there, you don't wanna walk far, it's an all you can eat best meat restaurant :)

All in all, perfect hotel. Very clean, I had a 2x2 meter bed, I was just happy to be here!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MonaSamir, Gerente at Windsor Copa Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing and recommending the Windsor Copa Hotel.
We are really glad to know that our services were up to your expectations and we look forward to have you as our guest again in the near future.

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed with Windsor Copa Hotel for 3 nights and had a great stay there.

* The location is excellent with just one block away from Copacabana Beach
* The airport transfer shuttle stops right outside this hotel so that you can use Rio Shuttle bus to transfer between this hotel and the airport. If you travel solo, this will save you half of the taxi cost. (Note: if you travel from airport to the hotel, the shuttle bus might not stop right outside the hotel but on a street corner. You should write down the address on a piece of paper, which will help you find the hotel easily. From the location where the bus stops, it is a 5 minute walk at most to the hotel.)
* The hotel is 5-minute walk to a Metro station, where you can go to main attractions in Rio and connect to other buses where Metro does not reach.
* The room is clean and comfortable. However, the single bed is a bit small, which fortunately does not bother me. The bathroom is excellent and the water pressure is just so strong.
* The breakfast is really good and it is one of a few best I ever had.
* The staffs there are all professional, helpful and patient. Most speak good enough English.
* The hotel provides free beach tower to guests and free wifi.

The only drawback with this hotel is that it is a bit far away from nearby grocery store and bank. You are expected to walk around 12 minutes to the nearest Rio Sul grocery store and 15-18 minutes to a nearest Citibank or HSBC.

Overall, I have a great stay with this hotel and will go back again. However, the hotel is pricey and if you are a backpacker traveling on budget, this might not be a choice for you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing the Windsor Copa on your recent trip to Rio, and also for taking your time to help us through your comments. I'm sure that they will be of great value to other tripadvisor travelers!

Sincerely, Mona Samir

Been to Windsor Copa Hotel? Share your experiences!