“Very cool hostel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Harmonia

You added Hostel Harmonia to your Saves list
Hostel Harmonia
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Rua Barao da Torre 175, casa 18 | Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Lagoa)   |
Cartagena, Colombia
“Very cool hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Harmonia is one of the sweetest hostels we have stayed at. We stayed in dorms for several nights then checked into a double room with shared bathroom. Prices in Rio are generally expensive- especially in Ipanema one of the most upmarket neighborhoods in all of Rio. So yes, Harmonia's prices reflect that, but we shopped around for many hostels and saw the condition of the rooms (for the same price) and Harmonia is definately one of the best.

I noticed some reviews commenting on how the rooms are cramped: most hostels are cramped, but at least Harmonia doesn't sport triple bunk beds! Yes, my boyfriend stayed at the top bunk at another hostel in Ipanema and I'm sure the bunk wouldn't pass health and safety!!

Harmonia is kept very clean and the staff are lovely and very helpful. They have a 10 pm quiet rule, which ensures everyone gets a quiet night sleep. I think it's fair enough too-you are in Rio!! Go out and enjoy the city!!

Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Remember this: you are going to a hostel! It is not a hotel. It's been a long time since I stayed at a hostel. When I booked it at Harmonia, I had a lot of hesitation. Was very worried frankly! Did not know what to expect. But here is the deal: I walked in at 7PM, was tired, was raining and the moment I walked in, Chris greeted me as if I was his best friend. Very pleasantly surprised, I dropped my luggage off in my room and went downstairs. The way the hostel is set up, since it is very small, everybody sits down at the entrance and you meet everybody. I guess what makes the hostel experience a nice experience is the people you meet and I was super lucky. So it is up to your luck!!
The bathrooms are very clean! Very pleased with that. The breakfast is awesome: lots of fresh fruit: banana, apple, mango, pineapple, cheese, bread, ham, etc.
The hostel is located in one of the safest places in Rio. There is plenty to do, very close to the beach: 2-3 blocks.
IBTW, it is very to get to the hostel from GRU airport. Just get out of the door and take a Real Bus for R$9 that takes you all the way to Ipanema. As soon as you pass Copacabana and get to Ipanema, get off the bus and walk up 3 blocks. You're at the hostel.
If you are coming to Rio on Thu or Fri, you may want to consider a hostel in Lapa (Books Hostel) because the night life is unbelievable (only the weekends though). Otherwise, Harmonia is perfectly good. Do not hesitate to book.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

It’s difficult to find a nice place to stay in Rio when you are tight on budget. And I think Hotel Harmonia can be good for students in their 20s, but clearly not for families.

We reserved the private apartment on the top of the hostel for 4 days and we were very disappointed. First of all, you have to go across two shared bedrooms and climb a pretty narrow spiral stair to reach the apt on the top floor. The apt has private WC (old and dirty) and shower (in a terrace), but we didn’t have water in the room for 2 days and we had to use the shared facilities downstairs. I know it’s not a big deal (i’ve been in hostels around the world), but this time we made our reservation here because we were on a family trip and we needed a private bathroom. The staff was nice and always trying to be helpful, but they were not very effective (it took them 2 days to fix the toilet!). I should also mention that Rio is one of those places where you can’t throw toilet paper in the WC, which is fine if the toilet bin is emptied every once in a while. In 4 days in Hostel Harmonia the toilet paper simply piled up and piled up, and no one went up to our bedroom to even empty the toilet bin.

Despite all these problems, the hostel is located few blocks away from Ipanema beach and the neighborhood is nice and full of restaurants, supermarkets, etc. I think you can enjoy this place if you avoid the apt on the top floor. The shared facilities are much cleaner than the toilet and shower in the private apartment.

Room Tip: Avoid the private apartment on the top floor of the hostel
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Excellent hostel, though very small
- The staff is very helpful and nice
- the location at Ipanema is very convenient and safe
- the rooms are very small, one of the smallest I ever seen
- the bathrooms are very good - new, clean, hot water
- the common are is nice - living room with TV, kitchen, computer (for extra charge, free wifi)
- the breakfast is good - eggs you can prepare youreself, cheese, ham, juice, fruits.
- a little bit expensive for that size of room

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Derry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

I stayed here for a few nights when my favourite hostel in Ipanema was being renovated. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hostel was clean, but a bit crammed to be honest. I didn't even bother with breakfast here as it was a bit of a bun flight in the morning to get anything.

The rooms were also a tight squeeze with very little storage space. I was lucky not to experience the moving issues others have experienced. They seem to move people around rooms if they are staying more than a few days to facilitate groups who ask to stay together. This doesn't seem like a good way to treat guests who have already checked in.

They have a good TV room here, but very poor wireless internet.

It's a good hostel in an excellent location and I would stay her again. But only if my favourite place was booked out or closed.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

I loved Harmonia and Rio so much I cut my trip short to go back and stay again! Great location (beach 2 minutes away, shops and bars around the corner, transport links a block away), friendly and helpful staff, hearty breakfasts and it seems to attract a really cool and lively crowd - a bit more 'grown up' than other hostels I've stayed in, but still lots of fun. I felt perfectly safe walking around the area at night. Made some great friends at this hostel, both travellers and people who worked there. When I return to Rio I'll definitely be staying! Highly recommend :)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

absolute fab service and great fun! definately go there again, nice swedisch owner

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostel Harmonia? Share your experiences!