“Beautiful Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ruins Park (Parque das Ruinas)

Ruins Park (Parque das Ruinas)
Rua Murtinho Nobre, 169 | Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Santa Teresa)
Improve this listing

Rio de Janeiro
99 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

In a great neighboorhood, Santa Teresa. But this is definitely not for those who seek strip malls. This is more for those who like the Montmartre sightseeing tour.

Rio de Janeiro
35 attraction reviews
“A beautiful view of the "other side" of Rio de Janeiro.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

An unusual, creative architect's creation, achieving an excellent balance of old & new building elements, on a beautiful location in Santa Teresa, with a magnificent view of downtown Rio and Guanabara Bay

Southsea, UK
3 attraction reviews
“Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

I spent a weekend in Santa Teresa and passed a cloudy Sunday walking to the local attractions listed in the Rio Time Out guide. It was well worth the walk there - the ruin itself has been interestingly developed with an internal steel framework. The museum next door however (the Chacara Ceu) was a real gem and the $1 entrance fee was about the best value I have ever had from so little cash. Make the effort and spend a peaceful hour.

A TripAdvisor Member
“A great night out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2006

Ok, it is a couple of years ago. I was working in Rio and a friend suggested going to the Parque das Ruinas. He explained it was the ruins of a stately home and they had jazz evenings there on Thursday evenings. I am not a jazz fan, but I was assured it was an interesting place to visit and we could buy drinks there. So we went.

When we arrived, there was a lot of Cariocas (Rio residents) going, too. We climbed the path up to the ruins - cunningly lit. The band was cooking away. We got drinks and settled in. The views across Guanabara Bay were amazing, the night air was not as clammy as the day-time, the choppe (beer) was cold and the band were warming up. We had a sandwich, admired the pretty girls (compulsory in Brazil), had another beer, and the band were starting to work. We walked around the place, imagining what the house would have been like when it was a home, chatted with the policeman on duty, had another beer, noticed some girls we had not seen before, had another beer, and the band were really going for it. It was a really good evening's entertainment in an unbelievable venue.

I enjoyed it so much, I went again when my wife came over for a stay. This time, the weather was not so nice. It rained - but the awning kept the entertainment area dry - and the lightning over the mountains in the distance were a great light show.

The bands I saw were local boys but, man, they were good. I did not know I could enjoy an evening's jazz so much. Both times.

The remains of the house are something out of a suspense movie and geckos crawl above your head catching moths attracted by the lights. The police presence ensured safety.

You can get there on the Santa Teresa tram, though you might need a map to get from the stop to the Parque das Ruinas. Find a taxi to get home afterwards.