“If you love the beach and have a low budget, stay in APA Hotel. Good choice.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Apa Hotel

You added Apa Hotel to your Saves list
Apa Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Republica Do Peru, No 305, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22021, Brazil   |
Ranked #76 of 217 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Miami Beach, Florida
“If you love the beach and have a low budget, stay in APA Hotel. Good choice.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

I loved my stay there and will definitely go back with my husband next time we travel to Rio. I thought it was a good choice because what was important for me was to be near the beach, and the location of this hotel couldn't be better. The staff is not arrogant or stuck up at all. You have to go by the culture so don't expect the typical American customer service, that's a wrong start. Both managers and employees are very nice. The rooms and bathrooms can be small, yes, but honestly I didn't care much for that as I spent most of the time out of the hotel. The only thing I really needed that they didn't have was a lamp.

I highly recommend this hotel for low-budget guests who love the beach and are not picky. Otherwise, look for a hotel with a higher rate and more comforts.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Brazil
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

I have been to Apa for a weekend, but my overall experience with the hotel didn't meet my (not high) expectations.
Staff could be nicer, but I don't really care about that.
The room looked clean at first, but after some time I noticed several pieces of old cookies over the minibar.
The bathroom was unconfortably small.
But the worst part was in the morning. I had gone to a party on Saturday night (as probably many other guests have done), but on Sunday, the maids started cleaning other apartments at 8h30 or 9am - with noisy vacuum cleaners, and hitting the walls of my room all the time!
Next time I go to Rio, I will look for somewhere else to stay...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

On a back-street in Copacabana sits the Apa Hotel. It's a cheap hotel. Probably you already know this. Probably that's why you're considering it. For me, it was a simple place to spend a single night, at the end of Carnival when almost every room in town had been booked up.

And though I don't normally stay in quite such simple places, I sometimes delight in them. The quiet little hotel, with a genuine smile of welcome and simple well-kept rooms, can be perfect.

Well, that isn't the Apa. I've had some bad hotel experiences, but this was the one that made me join Tripadvisor. Most of the bad bits... look, I really didn't mind them. I shrugged to myself and thought, I'll be gone tomorrow.

So the room was the size of a moderate bathroom. So the elevator was antiquated and a bit alarming. So the desk-staff were hilariously pompous. So there was incessant street noise on the lower floors, so much that it felt like I was outside. So the bathroom had arrived in a time-warp from the 1970s, the colour of rotting toadstools and lit by a flickering flourescent bulb. So the advertised free broadband didn't work. So the TV was ancient and the reception lousy. So the bed was lumpy and the service nonexistent. Ah well. I'd be out of there the next morning.

So then came the next morning. And I wake to the sound of drilling about six inches from my head. And I open the door and find a toolbox right outside it, blocking the corridor. And I find electrical wires dangling down from the ceiling, blocking the hallway. There's a lacklustre workman, prodding at things. The wires are about an inch from my head, when I open the door. They're not insulated, I note.

Now look. Cheap is one thing. Dangerous is something else. To do electrical wiring work, you have to test the work – so those wires must have been live at several points. And down they hung, all morning, across the whole width of the corridor. (Well, have a look at the photos.) I went down to reception.

Hello there, I said. Don't you think you should have told me about those wires? About that trip-hazard of all those tools blocking the corridor. About live wires an inch from my head? A note under the door, maybe? A telephone call? It would have taken less than a minute, after all.

And so, a man who was perhaps the worst hotel manager I've ever come across came upstairs, looked, shrugged, went downstairs again and did nothing. I stood at the desk, more than mildly unhappy. I pointed out to him that he had a duty of care to his guests. He said 'Yes, and...?' I told him that this kind of thing was simply not on – and he'd be breaking laws, certainly in the US and Europe. He said 'I don't believe that.' (No 'sir' no 'sorry', please note – not at any point in this exchange.) I asked him why he hadn't at least called my room. He turned and walked away, no reply.

(And though tempted – I didn't yell or scream or swear. I just told him that his actions were unacceptable, which they were.)

Look, there's cheap and simple – maybe you can find that. I hope so. There's cheap and nasty – I do hope you won't find that. And then there's the Apa – which is just plain dangerous and grim. For goodness sake, don't stay there. You can do better. Really you can.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
New Jersey, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

I am glad to see that Tripadvisor considers this a 2-star hotel. I think the hotel grades itself as 3-star, which is inflated. The location is a few blocks from the portion of Copacabana beach that contains the most expensive hotels.

For the price paid, I find this hotel to be good value. The place could use a bit of renovation, the shower is kind of small, and the wallpaper is getting a bit old, but it works. There is a small wall-mounted television, a small fridge "mini-bar" and the wireless internet works extremely well. The bell desk was fine holding my luggage after my checkout, and there was a free safe in the room.

Breakfast buffet was fine - meats and cheeses, breads, some yogurt, juice, and some fruits. It was buffet style so all-you-care-to-eat.

I found the bed to be comfortable, and I slept well even with a room facing the street in front. If you do not expect something fancy, then the Apa Hotel should serve you well.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Been to Apa Hotel? Share your experiences!