“Old hotel, good location, rates a little expensive” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Augusto"s Paysandu Hotel

You added Augusto"s Paysandu Hotel to your Saves list
Augusto"s Paysandu Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Paissandu, 23, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22210070, Brazil (Botafogo)   |
Ranked #139 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
São Paulo
“Old hotel, good location, rates a little expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed there for a weekend with my wife. Location is good but the room wasn't very good. I thought price wasn't adequate for what the hotel offers. However, the worst thing on it was that we got a room on the first floor and there was a lot of noise very early in the morning (not sure if it was people on the street or employees preparing breakfast at the kitchen)

Room Tip: Do not stay in the first floor (very noisy)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights in Feb during the carnival and it was a good stay. Rooms are very pricey during the carnival time so we booked in advance and it was still expensive. Room is medium sized, could be a bit cleaner (I felt the sheets and towels looked a bit dirty). Front staff were very helpful and the free breakfast included is very nice (fresh fruit juices and continental breakfast). Close to 2 train stations so it was easy to get around. Some of the carnival parades went past our hotel so we were able to enjoy the ambience. Good AC so the rooms were cool during the intense hot weather.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Got back today from Paysandu Hotel and had a great time! Several close restaurants, free breakfast includes rolls, fruits, juices, coffee, sliced meat and cheese. Ridiculously nice staff, they have a big guy at the door and they always have someone working that speaks English.

The area is safe and close to every thing. You will not regret a trip out to this hotel!!

Room Tip: Maybe ask for one not facing the street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Oulu, Oulu, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is a very old hotel and the conditions are not really good. Room is very small, old and very noisy. AC is really noisy. The bed was awful and it generate noise. Staff was really good and helpful. Breakfast is ok. When compare to other places, this hotel is really expensive for what it offered but Rio is an expensive city so maybe it is a fair price. Please mind that you have to pay for the internet.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in higher floors.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Campinas, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed at the Paysandu for one night in a professional trip. The only thing I really liked was the art déco sign with the hotel name outside.
The building is old, my room had a very small window, the walls are dirty, although the rather ordinary bedsheets and towels were clean. There were tiny ants walking in the sink and around. The air conditioner was old and VERY noisy.
When I arrived back from dinner with friends my room smelled food (although it was in the 4th floor it was above the hotel kitchen).
Breakfast is minimally correct.
WiFi costs R$15 for 24h and was not working anyway. Cable TV was not working as well. I called the reception and was told it was a problem in the area. Today at check out there was a charge for NY call, but they promptly agreed to cancel it. A lady from Colombia checking out next to me had several calls that did not complete charged as well, I helped her talking with the staff that did not speak Spanish (I am Brazilian).
Location is very nice to avoid the very touristic areas. I loved jogging early in the morning at the adjacent aterro do Flamengo where there is a great view of Pão de Açúcar. It is also worth walking rua Paysandu up to the Guanabara Palace (the state government palace) just to check the huge centennial palm trees in both sides of the street.
Even with the R$210 special rate I had I found the hotel very expensive for what it offers.

• Stayed April 2013
Buzios, Rio de Janeiro
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The location's good, the breakfast was good, and my overrall impression of the place was... OK.

What is a shame, really, is that this place could be much better than it really is. The staff does no more than what's extremely necessary, and there is this atmosphere of prostration all over the place. The staff is just... dismayed. The hotel is a ghost of what it should be, looking at the impressive hallway and lobby, the high ceilings and original floorplan, it's quite sad to see that it is reduced to the bare minimum quality standard for such place.

Positive aspects: The location is great, far from the maddening crowd but still amazingly located near Aterro do Flamengo, one of Rio's prettiest parks and with easy access (bus, metro, taxi) to everywhere. The breakfast was quite good, the room was good enough, nothing fancy but I wasn't looking for that.

Negative side: I asked for a room for one person, and they offered me a double apartment at R$225. I asked if they had anything cheaper than that, and they said they hadn't, and later on I found that they did have rooms at $165. When asked for info on how to get there, they informed me the bare minimum and when I arrived I had to ask people all the way to get there. The receptionist was bored to death, the valet ignored my suitcase completely and accompanied me to the lift but no further than that, and wifi is charged separetely. Nothing bad enough to want to never come back, but if I have any other option available next time I stay in Rio I will sure try.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for Carnival 2013 because we wanted somewhere cheap, in a good location, with breakfast and thought we’d be in / out + drunk so the condition wouldn’t matter. However even with this being the case, the condition of the hotel was even further below our already low expectations, this was disappointing and we were glad to leave at the end of the week. We stayed at a total of 5 hotels in Brazil and this was the only hotel to charge us for use of the internet, although it wasn’t costly we found this unnecessary and surprising. The hotel is in desperate need of renovation and has a cockroach infestation. It’s really dirty, dust/mites build up are extensive and our room smelt of fried food upon entry. We were on floor no. 5, so the room was quite calm and peaceful. Hotel staff are friendly/helpful enough but couldn’t always remember if we were guests at the hotel or just people visiting (?)! Food at the hotel is poor, though we didn’t have much luck with food in Rio as a whole so I’m not sure if this was poor by Rio standards or just ours. Breakfast was the usual continental, samey after day two and anything extra, like an egg cost 6 reals….which again we found surprising !!!
My main gripe with the hotel was the dirt and grease/dust. The air conditioning unit is not A/C it’s an old fashioned fan in the wall, and it’s generating lots of noise and dust throughout the night, at low ground level (very unhealthy). Things were safe in the hotel, nothing went missing and if we reminded the cleaning lady she’d make sure the room was clean before we returned in the evening, otherwise, was usually hit and miss. Cleaning the room consist of making the bed and changing the towels (only).

TV/cable in room but the whole place is literally vintage and hasn’t been properly cleaned in an age. Bed/pillows all uncomfortable too soft.

This is across the road from Flamengo beach and park, it's a good locaiton for carnival which is city wide....you're not far from the Metro station too, which is all very handy. There were bloccos which took place minutes from the hotel so if you don't mind roughing it...it's ok. Also there were a lot of Carnival group activities planned by passing tour group operators staying in the hotel. (Truck Man or Van man I can't remember). The hotel had a good spirit for the carnival, quite flexible and carefree, as per Brazil in general. Nothing stuffy.

Room Tip: 1. There is just one main lift for guests. We found another lift outside our room that took us down...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Augusto"s Paysandu Hotel? Share your experiences!