“Old noisy hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Augusto"s Paysandu Hotel

You added Augusto"s Paysandu Hotel to your Saves list
Augusto"s Paysandu Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Paissandu, 23, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22210070, Brazil (Botafogo)   |
Ranked #139 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
United States
“Old noisy hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The building is really old, and it needs maintenance and redecoration. Sheets and towels are clean, though. Breakfast is very simple. At around 7 in the morning we started listening to people moving furniture upstairs; we called reception to complain but it went on the whole morning. Next morning, same thing. Something very very serious was that my nephew put the "do not disturb" sign and still they entered the room. Not nice at all. Elevator is too small and you have to wait a lot to get in it, since it´s always crowded (with 4 people). Would stay there again if I couldn´t find anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Helsinki
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed with my husband at Augusto’s Paysandu Hotel for 6 nights in July 2012. I wouldn’t go there again.

The area is a bit boring, not much to do or see. Couple of restaurants and cafes, supermarket and a park. We left in the morning and returned in the evening. The area did feel very safe, though.

Breakfast was nice with couple of different fresh fruits, several juices, bread, ham, cheese, jam, cereal, milk, coffee and tea.

The room was badly outdated and quite ugly. Sheets and blankets were dirty and had something blood like in them (see the picture). The bathroom was really ascetic. The weird thing about it was the fact that it had a small window - to another bathroom! (See the picture.) It’s so high you can’t peek, but you do hear the voices. I guess that’s great for one kind of fetishists but I wasn’t exactly pleased to hear our neighbors going to the toilet. Let alone to be heard.

On the web page the hotel tells every room has wireless internet. What it doesn’t say is that the internet is super slow and crappy and costs 15 reals per day. Actually it felt like they were trying to charge extra in any possible way. For example, there was a safety deposit box in the room but there was no lock on it: the lock cost 3 reals per day. I know it isn’t much but that’s just stupid. Add it to the price of the room like everywhere else.

The staff was polite and many of them spoke English. They apologized and seemed to be really ashamed of the stupid hotel policies like having to pay for the lock.

For my next visit to lovely Rio I’ll pick another hotel and another area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Paysandu is possibly the worst hotel I've ever been to.

I had a reservation for 2 nights. The first room we were given was unattractive, but at least had a good deal of natural light. However, it smelled like it had just been vacated by...how do I put this?...an old prostitute. Unbelievable, unbearable stench of cigarettes and nasty, cheap perfume. There was no way anyone could have tolerated it. We returned to the front desk, explained the problem and were issued a new room, albeit very reluctantly, by the front desk clerk, who clearly thought we were being unreasonable.

The second room was the size of a closet. It barely contained the hard, discolored old bed. There was one small window in the room, next to the bed. It looked out onto a damp, filthy air shaft. No, I don't travel to stay in my room and am pretty tolerant of budget accommodations, but this was downright depressing.

We stayed our obligatory 2 nights, then got out of there. There are many other nicer options in the neighborhood for roughly the same price or just a little bit more. We wound up at the Rondonia, which was paradise in comparison. I strongly advise avoiding the Paysandu Hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I travel a lot and on budget, but this place is a dump. I would not give it any star at all... ok, if you pushed maybe one...
I booked this place to stay for two night in January. I was meeting up with my daughter who was already in Rio for the new year. It was my second trip and wanted to try a different area than Copacabana. The hotel is very basic and run down. Our room for the first night smelled moldy and the bathroom was full of mold (very dangerous to health).... we could not close the old window and my daughter had to use our umbrella to force close the window. Basic beds, hard, basic sheets. We had to change our room for the second night and the manager was not very helpful we complained about the room. In a better hotel they normally say sorry and they offer some kind of discount, not this guy. I felt sorry for the staff. The neighborhood is ok, but kind of dead. The nearby beach is beautiful to look at, but not safe for bathing and the water smelled. Luckily I had a nice Studio booked through an online website called "rioapartments.com" for a week and we only stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. I don't think you should stay there.,

Room Tip: Don't stay here, but if you have to check your room first and make sure they bathroom is not mol...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Meersburg (Bodensee), Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I had a short 2 night stay in that hotel. The location was very nice. I had the feeling I was the only tourist around. Nice restaurants with good food in the neigborhood. I have not checked out the local beaches, so for thet I think Copacabana is the better but more expensive place.
The hotel was ok, helpful staff, nice breakfast. Well the rooms where ok. Little sad looking, no pictures, everything in a dirty white, but for a Hotel this class everything was ok. WLAN was available, it should cost something but I wasn't charged anything. Everything was clean.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
bury, lancs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Be very careful when booking this hotel on-line - their booking page stated 'if you have not received an e-mail within 24 hours your booking is not confirmed' - we didn't so tried to book again (website does not contain an email address) and eventually went into the hotel in person to confirm our booking. The
receptionist told us no booking had been received so made a new reservation - when we arrived we had been booked in three times and had to compromise with the manager and ended up paying for an extra night.
We are also a bit unsure which hotel the pictures on their website refers to, as it surely isn't this one! There were a lot of extra charges as well such as the room safe and internet. The only positive is its good position near a metro station so you can get away quickly!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

Hotel is located in a safe neighbourhood. Front desk staffs are friendly & can provide a lot of useful info, however the room is not worth for the price I paid; bathroom cleanliness is a big concern, I can see dust all over the ceiling.

Went to the attached restaurant, A bit on the pricey side but the food is excellent

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Augusto"s Paysandu Hotel? Share your experiences!