“Convenient for Copacabana” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Palace Hotel

You added Windsor Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Windsor Palace Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Domingos Ferreira, 06 | Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22050010, Brazil (Copacabana)   |
Ranked #32 of 217 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Convenient for Copacabana”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Nice hotel - located just one block from Copacabana beach and numerous restaurants, bars, banks and shops are within easy walking distance. Room was clean and comfortable with security safe and a balcony with table and chairs. The room overlooked the main entrance and could be quite noisy at night due to the close proximity of several bars used by noisy locals.

Staff were friendly and very helpful; the rooftop pool is very small but an excellent view of the city and the Corcovado (although distant). The buffet breakfast is excellent. This is one of six Windsor Hotels in the area. Would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the front of the hotel as there is some noise from local bars.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at the Windsor Palace on two separate occasions, recently. I have, previously, stayed at the Windsor Excelsior a bit further down the Copacabana but it was fully booked so I opted for the Windsor Palace at a lower price. I am informed that the Palace is the first of the Windsor Hotel chain in Rio. This probably shows in the reception desk area which could do with a bit of brightening up. As other travellers have said it is tucked away about a block from the beach. A quiet area but with lots going on around it. Sunday Market is interesting and there are a number of bars and Restaurants right next door (all good!). For location the hotel is just great. Close to the beach and only a short walk from the shopping areas.
During my two stays I experienced ‘The Old & The New’. My first room had recently been renovated and was on the 17th floor. Very bright, airy, good balcony with restricted view of beach. During my second stay I was in a room with old decorations (but clean) and with a similar restricted view of the Copacabana Beach. Both rooms had single AC units which could be quite noisy, at times. Wi Fi available and free!!
I only sampled the breakfast but this was very good with fresh produce, excellent scrambled eggs and bacon and many different fresh fruits and pastries. The roof bar is ok. Staff very friendly and tolerant of my ‘Limited’ Portuguese! Pool is rather small but they have tried so can’t complain seeing as the view from the area is fantastic. All of the staff I met and spoke to were very accommodating and helpful.
Desk staff can be a bit off as when I told them what I had from the mini bar, when checking out, they still sent someone to the room to check. If I had any complaints it would be that the bath towels are thinner than a monks shirt. After having stayed at a number of hotels in the area I would say that the Windsor Palace is, probably, best value and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above floor 15 and at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Overall impression, the hotel is in need of maintenance and upgrades. The room was tiny with three single beds squeezed in a narrow room (triple occupancy), with no space to put our luggage. Beds and linens were old and thin, not the fluffy comforters that I prefer. Restroom was a nice size, just in need of upgrades.

The bellman were great, very friendly and helpful. Other staff were ok, but not as customer service oriented like other hotels that I'm typically used to. When we asked for great restaurants in the area, they said everything was good??? Housekeeping was substandard, the room never felt very clean.

The best part of this hotel was the breakfast buffet, it wasn't large but it was good enough and provided some North American options (my husband loved their breakfast). Location was convenient, but Copacabana seemed a bit run down and sketchy. For our next visit, we are likely to stay in Ipanema, even with the ridiculous rates. In all honesty, I will not come back to this hotel.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Pasadena, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed here for a few days to get a “taste“ of Rio. The doorman greeted me with a big smile and was so nice. The day and morning front desk staff were also so helpful with shopping suggestions. The roof top bars view was amazing! The only hiccup I had was a nite clerk who informed me and my friend she wasn't allowed up to my room. I was put back by this and I spoke the next morning to the hotel Manager whom explained to me that she needed to fill out a guest slip and she would have been permitted up. Wish the nite desk clerk would have just told us that. Other than that the breakfast was Amazingly good. All the hotels I stayed in had great food fresh fruit pastries cold meat slices and cereal. This one though was exceptional :). I would go back here again as it was very reasonably priced and one block off the beach so the noise level wasn't bad. The area is what my friend called the “retirement“ area and the Sunday market down the street showed lots of older folks who do live here. There's not much nite life you need to travel to mid Rio for that to Lapa. The rooms were old and haven't been updated for many years but were well kept and clean. Over all though, I found the windsor to be a pretty nice place.

• Stayed October 2012
Billings, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Location was good - one block from Copacabana beach. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful - many spoke english. Breakfast buffet was very good, tons of fresh fruit, also some American staples such as bacon & eggs. Rooftop pool area was small but nice - great view. Probably would have been better to be on a higher floor, the street noise was a bit loud till after midnite. But we were able to check into a room on a lower floor early, which after the long flight was wonderful, so we took it.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor if you can - probably quieter
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dorking, Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Rio during the last leg of 3 part trip to South America. This Hotel was in an excellent location one block from the beach and within easy walking distance of loads of cafes, bars and restaurants.

The reception staff were extremely helpful and spoke good English. The doormen were very attentive and could not do enough for you.

Our room was very large with a huge bed and a glimpse of the sea in the distance (we were on the 10th floor). The bathroom was lovely with a big walk in wet room and unlimited hot water and complimentary toiletries.

The pool area was very small with a bar but we happily spent out last afternoon up there and it had a small sauna, and gym. It was a nice touch that the hotel provided towels to go down to the beach with.

The breakfasts were buffet style and absolutely gorgeous. We put on quite a bit of weight during our time in Rio!!

There was complimentary wi-fi in reception which was excellent and very useful when it came to printing out boarding passes for our return home.

We would definitely recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to book again.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor (ie we were on floor 10) as the road is very noisy and the bin men s...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

If I could have rated this hotel with three-and-a-half stars I would have done because it is a good hotel, but it's not "very good". It has an excellent location and the reception staff are wonderfully helpful and accommodating. Our first room on the 13th floor, although affording us a view of Copacabana beach, was noisy and gloomy, with an ancient-looking aid conditioning unit sticking out of the wall. A quick word with Marcus on reception brought us another room in the same position but on the top (18th) floor. This room, whilst still simply furnished, had clearly been renovated more recently, and was far brighter and less noisy. The reception staff were also brilliant about offering advice as to local transport options (advising us, quite rightly, that it was easy and cheaper to take local buses to various locations rather than taxis), and making telephone calls on our behalf to enquire about and arrange excursions. The hotel was also very accommodating after check-out in storing our luggage for the day and providing shower facilities for us in advance of our flight home. All very positive.
Now for the negative, I'm afraid. The food at this hotel is extremely poor and vastly, vastly overpriced! Having arrived late in the afternoon on our wedding anniversary, and being completely unfamiliar with the city, we decided (despite the prices) to eat in the hotel's restaurant - mistake! My lasagna, which had clearly been heated in a microwave, was a sodden, collapsed mess in the middle of the plate, with hard, congealed sauce around the rim of the plate. My husband's chicken was said on the menu to come with a sauce - he chose one described as green pepper and tomato - but when it came there was no sauce. When we pointed this out to the staff, we were engaged in an argument, first with the waiters and then with the chef. They initially tried to convince us that a hollowed-out tomato with cheese on top was the "sauce", and when that failed they removed the plate before returning it with a bowl of a chopped up onion, tomato, peppers and herbs - in other words a salsa. No amount of arguing could convince them that this was not a "sauce" - and lest anyone thinks that the problem was merely one of translation, the other "sauce" offered on the menu was bernaise. For these culinary delights we were charged at least double the cost of a decent meal in other local restaurants. I also have to say that, save for the orange juice, the other fruit juices on offer at breakfast were quite undrinkable and tasted as though they had been watered down!
A pity that the food lets down what is otherwise a very decent hotel!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Windsor Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!