I've just returned from Rio after spending four nights at this hotel. It's location is great right on copacabana beach at the ipanema end. You literally exit the front door cross the road and your right on the beach. It's advertised as a 4 star but I'd probably class it as a good quality 3.5 star (uk std) staff at reception spoke decent English and were always friendly, polite and willing to help with any enquiries. There's a small restaurant on the premises that serves a free breakfast in the morning and evening meals tho I never ate here at night. Breakfast was ok. Nothing special but did the job first thing in the morning. Loads of pastries, cereals, cold meats , fruit juices and scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages. Buffet style so you can help yourself. There's also a small bar that opens after 16:00 but again never used it. The hotels right next door to the Sofitel and we spent a lot of time in the bars in there. Food and drink prices were surprisingly reasonable for a Sofitel and the bar has outside seating overlooking copacabana beach!
Rooms were clean and comfortable. I'd recommend avoiding the basic ones as they seemed really small. I stayed in a deluxe which was a decent size. There was a flat screen tv , mini bar again reasonably priced and good air conditioning. We were on the 8th floor and you do get a bit of street noise at night but don't let that put you off as you quickly get used to it. The only downside is that there are no irons in the room and you can't even get one at reception. All laundry including ironing has to be done by housekeeping which incurs a cost.
The hotel has a very small rooftop pool which is fine for cooling down but not swimming ( but then the beach is across the road) few loungers and tables and the gym is located up there too. The gym as in most hotels is pretty poor. Couple of treadmills, bike, and some weights. Also a sauna but never used it.
The location of this hotel is great. Loads of bars and restaurants in the area and only a 10 minute walk from Ipanema.
I know other folk voiced concerns re security in rio on tripadvisor but I never experienced any problems anywhere I went. The area around the hotel was really safe and I never felt concerned at anytime. Obviously be aware of who's around you and stick to the main areas as in any large cities. Plan your route before you set out so your not standing staring at a big map and I'd recommend using taxis instead of buses just purely because its easier and quicker to grab a taxi than waiting on the usually crowded buses. Taxis are really cheap too.
I'd definately recommend hotel Orla to anyone thinking of going to Rio. The location is great and for the price good value for money.
I'd also say if your thinking about Rio but concerned about some reviews re safety don't be. As I said earlier felt really safe and no problems. Just be alert and don't draw attention to yourself by wearing loads of jewelry etc. Rio's a great place to visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Orla Copacabana Hotel is just off famous Copacabana beach, a half-mile from Ipanema Beach and downtown Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Highlights at include hotel-wide complimentary WiFi Internet access, a rooftop swimming pool, poolside bar, and fitness center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Orla Copacabana Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Orla Copacabana
- Orla Copacabana Rio De Janeiro
- Orla Copacabana Hotel Rio De Janeiro, Brazil