“great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Marina Palace

You added Hotel Marina Palace to your Saves list
Hotel Marina Palace
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Delfim Moreira, 630, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22441-000, Brazil (Lagoa)   |
Ranked #53 of 217 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Ahmedabad, India
“great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

very good location, right on the leblon beach and great access to shopping leblon and night life. Gym and spa were bonus elements! the waiters and attendants dont speak any english and that may be a dampener at times

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review. We are glad to know that you had a great stay with us.
Hopefully, we will welcome you again at our property.
Cordially,
Valentina Rosenfeld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I recently stayed at Marina Palace in Rio de Janeiro from March 4 through March 8. As a frequent traveller to Brazil, I was able to overlook the poor quality of the hotel (e.g. toilet continuously leaked and flooded bathroom, drawers fell out of dresser on day one, floors looked like they had not been cleaned in decades).

But hotel reception accepted a package on my behalf and mysteriously it never turned up despite a description of person it was left with.

I am very disappointed that a valuable package was stolen by hotel personnel and in the intervening weeks they wont even return my call or make an effort to rectify this.

Stay away!! Plenty of other hotels in Rio may be similarly equipped but at least you will not have to deal with employee theft.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Sir,

We would like to apoligize for the misunderstanding about the package that was left the day you checked out. We hope you have received it correctly.

Hopefully we will be the chance to welcome you again.
Cordially,
Valentina Rosenfeld
Cascais, Portugal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Beeing a frequent traveler and working for several years in Tourism, I've stayed in many Hotels and saw many things around the world, but none compares to this...
I was in Rio working on an event until the 12th, day that I've check-out from my "work" Hotel - JW Marriott in Copacabana and although I don't like the neighborhood, I must admit that it was excellent comparing to Brazilian standards.
So, I've checked out and as I had some days left for relaxing in RJ, I've booked a double room for me and my husband at the Marina Palace Hotel, since I like Leblon/ Ipanema a lot and also the best beach is across the road.
I've paid a night rate of around 250€ night with breakfast included. It is not cheap, but they've claimed 5 star service (which as from my work experience I can tell you that it is around 3+ European standards), and in Brazil you don't want to play with luck :-)
To keep it short and simple: my credit card was cloned upon check in and money was withdrawn in São Paulo (I've only used this card only for that and nothing else in RJ) - this card was the whole time in the safe); upon flushing the toilet, bathroom and room were flooded with toilet water (nice!) and despite telling housekeeping to clean it properly - like washing and soaking the whole floor - maybe for hygiene reasons???? - the maid just swept the floor... after I told her in good Portuguese to clean it...I went downstairs and complained at the Reception and no one did nothing - they just don't care!
I work for 20 years in Tourism and I've never saw such a lack of respect and service as in this dreary Hotel. Just stay away if you don't want to be robbed and cheated like I was!
When in Brazil, always stay in Intl. Hotel chains - at least there you know the standards...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Guest Relations at Hotel Marina Palace, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago

First of all, I would like to apologize for the late reply.

Thank you for taking the time of sharing your previous experience at Marina Palace.
I sincerely apologize for every inconvenience you have mentioned in your review. I assure you that we take your comments with all the seriousness and already acting on several points brought up in your feedback. I am always available for you, should you be interested in providing us any further information, which is of great help in order to meet different expectations and eliminate imperfections in our services.
We all look forward to welcome you back and provide you another Marina Palace experience.

Diego Queiroz - Guest Relations
Dakar, Senegal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Was there for a congress. We have privatise the hotel for all the guest...and guess what: "they don't care", you're like a wallet or a credit card in front of the desk?! Amazing.
Clean generally speaking, very great location indeed in front of the sea side Leblon. Ipanema and Copacabana is at walking distance and you have a lot of "expensive" restaurant around. Same withthe mall center. You're in the secure high class area and not really living the Rio life! No samba around...
At 2h of the airport with the traffic jam! So think of it when you're thinking Rio...distance can become a nightmare.
For leisure and sea, it's in your budget, you can go...
The swiming pool is just for fun :-) no space in that aerea, and it's on the roof with the gym that's get 3 main equipment. Anyway you better go for a walk on the sea in front of the hotel or play volley, soccer there.
One good thing for me: a lot of fruit for the breakfast :-)

Room Tip: Ask for none smoking room and without carpet, it's seems that they are the one renovated!

First of all, I would like to apologize for the late reply.

Many thanks for taking the opportunity to share your review of your stay at Marina Palace Hotel. I am hugely concerned and disappointed that you did not have the overall experience of our hotel that we are proud to provide the many guests who choose to stay with us, our team is exceptionally warm and informative and because of that we are going to watch ourselves closely in order to avoid imperfections.
We are now under renovation and I really hope that you will consider trying again as I am very confident that we can provide you with the same experience and level of comfort that a majority of our guests are very willing to attest to.

Diego Queiroz - Guest Relations
Lenzerheide, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

When traveling to Rio, and having prepared a bit for the Carioca way of life, one's expectations may be a bit less than elsewhere. Having stayed at the Cesar Park Ipanema before, we decided to stay in Leblon this time, at the Marina Palace. The price (just under $400/night, without breakfast, which costs you another $45 per person) wouldn't indicate anything cheap, and we got a small suite with ocean view. Great location, great view! That's about the positive things that can be said about this.

Reception staff was friendly, albeit a bit slow. We took our suitcases upstairs ourselves...

The room itself is reasonably spacious. The "suite" consists of a small sitting area and table, facing the side street, and the bedroom. The bedroom furniture is recent, except the built-in cupboards which have the filthy and sticky feel of something that is 40-years-plus, without ever having been redone (and one wonders whether they get cleaned). The windows are of aluminum, a bit worn out, but provide appropriate (not really good) sound insulation; they do not open.
The bathroom is....well, not very inviting. Never re-done since the hotel was built, it leaves an outdated impression. The shower is outright filthy (you know, these blackish traces about 2" high from the bottom that indicate some rot and funghi....).

The hotel has what they call a swimming pool, which is a square pond on the roof (take like two floors of stairs after you reached the top floor by elevator). The view is great from up there, and you can take a bath in that pond, but unless you want to swim in a permanent circle, this is not a "swimming" pool.

The breakfast is nothing to write home about, pretty basic stuff, overpriced. Scrambled egg made from powder, and an average buffet. If you think you can get an espresso (having paid $45 for the breakfast), you can, but you will be charged another $5 for that.

We had a real issue with the housekeeping service. When leaving the room around mid-day, we told housekeeping that we would appreciate the room being cleaned right away (they were just working in the room next door). When we returned around 16h30, looking to take a little rest, nothing was done. We called housekeeping who said they would take care of this right away. We had to call over and again until finally, around 18h, someone came to do the room...at least, the bed was made; the bathroom certainly had not been cleaned properly.

As regards Internet - you have the option to use the free slow WiFi in the reception area, or, if you want a decent connection, pay dearly.

Overall, a disappointing experience. In Rio, the attitude you often encounter, unfortunately, is "We don't care. We don't have to. If you don't like it and don't come back, someone else will come and stay with us." There are enough tourists coming to Rio to nourish this attitude.

Our conclusion: we will be avoiding this hotel in the future. The Cesar Park Ipanema was a better experience, and we believe there are quite a few other places where the overall experience is not so disappointing.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Perhaps because Rio is so beautiful, hotel owners don't seem to bother to take care of their establishments, as visitors will probably come anyway. So, hotels in Rio, in general, are pretty lame and expensive.

With that in mind, you can consider Marina Palace an average-to-nice place to stay in Rio. It is located in the heart of Leblon, probably the most adorable neighbourhood in Rio, write over the beach. The building is about 35 years old and the hotel rooms have an old but still well conserved decoration.

Bathroom is super clean and with a fantastic shower that benefits from a 26-story water fall (I was in the 9th floor).

The AC has no thermostat and you cannot open the windows. As this was a mild night, I was able to sleep with it off and was confortable, but it could have been complicated.

They have a restaurant with a great beach view on the second floor, a nice bar outside and super cool pool on the top floor with a jaw-dropping view of the beaches and ocean.

Internet connection was lame and expensive (20 dolars per day). This is definitely something very easy to fix -- and travellers that need to spend time in the room working, would benefit from it.

Did not have too much contact with staff, but they were really nice.

Overall, this is fair place to stay, with OK prices (compared to other options in Rio). Don't expect too much of the hotel and enjoy your stay in the heart of Rio.

Room Tip: Don't need to pay for front view. The sided rooms are excellent as well. Choose something above...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind words following your recent stay with us at Marina Palace Hotel. I was so happy that you all enjoyed the service and facilities we provided you with. It was our pleasure to assist you and we do hope that you will be able to come back and stay with us again in the near future

Best Regards

Diego Queiroz
Guest Relations - Hotel Marina Palace
Santiago, Chile
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The location is probably the better aspect. Beyond that, I believe that management is trying to get away with as little as possible: our room was really, really old. And so was the bathroom, and so were the beds. Air condition has only 2 options: off, or full blast ice cold. A request to have someone have a look at it was friendly listened to but no maintenance man ever showed up. On my last day the room maid was annoyed that I would leave the room only at noon time. When I asked at the reception if check out could be extended with a few hours, the young man behaved very obnoxious. Overall, the sort of hospitality I like to forget about.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Diego Queiroz

Been to Hotel Marina Palace? Share your experiences!