“great spot” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marina All Suites

You added Marina All Suites to your Saves list
Marina All Suites
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Delfim Moreira, 696 | Leblon, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22441-000 , Brazil (Lagoa)   |
Ranked #39 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
London, ON
“great spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

We are a family of 4 (kids aged 7 and 6) who won a trip to Rio de Janeiro. The travel agent in charge of the contest made our arrangements for our hotel and shuttle.

Aug 12, 2008. - Arrive Rio de Janeiro, collected by Leni of Mar Tours and taken to Marina All Suites Hotel in the Leblon section of Rio. The Marina All-Suites is an upscale boutique hotel with a great staff, great breakfasts, a small, but nice rooftop pool, in a great location. The location is probably the best in Rio for convenience for shopping and going out to nice restaurants, access to the beach and for safety. Leblon is a very upscale part of the city, but in Brazil that means “nice” or devoid of huge amounts of graffiti.

Aug 13 – On this day I had booked a tour on line with Marcio Guedes. He is not associated with the Marina All-Suites, but I found him on-line and he had an all day tour of Rio in his car for less than $200 US. Since there was four of us and since I had read about bus to hotel to hotel to hotel pick-up routine by Greyline, I decided on Marcio. What a great decision that was. He took us up to Corcovado in the morning when there were fewer tourists. The view we got was great and with less tourists it was easy to walk around and take pictures (in the afternoon this place would be packed) After that he took us through Lapa, into the downtown, where he helped us to order food from a local restaurant and showed us the Cathedral and another amazing church. He then took us to a park and to the lagoon. It was an excellent tour and perfect for our two younger children. I highly recommend getting a personal tour of Rio because of the traffic and access to things that may be difficult to get to on a tour bus and personal views of a Rio citizen (eg. Selaron’s Steps in Lapa). This was a great day, one of the best on our trip because it was planned, we had great weather and we got to see a lot, hassle free. When we got back to the Marina All-Suites, we went to the roof top pool for a "swim" (the pool is quite small, but was a great size for my kids). After the swim, I had a my first caipirinha from the nice young lady at the bar, which is on the top floor, next to the pool and workout room. A great day.

Aug 14 – Got some good advice from the excellent concierge at the Marina All Suites and we decided today to go to the Jardim Botanico via taxi. (The cabs are good in Rio and not overly expensive. You can get one via the hotel or just walk around the corner from the Marina All-Suites, where there is an informal taxi gathering place). The botanical garden was really good and besides palms, orchids, etc. there were even monkeys and some nice birds (the place would be awesome in the Brazilian spring/summer, when things are really blooming). Our children had a good walk and even managed to walk from the Jardim Botanico all the way back to the Marina All-Suites. In the afternoon, we went to the beach, as it was 29 degrees. The Marina has a guy on the beach who provides towels and umbrella’s. There are also locals who will come by all the time to ask if you need anything, they will even go to Bob’s to get you a burger. Just watch out for the waves, if you are going in the water, they can get big.

Aug 15 -After another great hotel breakfast, we went from the Marina All Suites by cab to the Rio Sul Mall and then went to Sugar Loaf. Sugar Loaf is very worthwhile, in part because of the different views of Rio and the cable car ride (especially for kids). After that, we went back to the hotel via the Rio Sul Mall. Another good day in Rio.

Aug 16 - Left Rio. All in all we had a great time in this city and I credit much of that to staying at the Marina All-Suites and the location in Leblon. We really found the hotel very comfortable and its' location was perfect for restaurants, shopping, going to the beach and as a base for seeing the sites. Having read about all Copacabana and seeing that area, I am glad we stayed in a less touristy part of the city. I would only stay in Leblon or Ipanema if I was returning to Rio and despite the cost, stay at the Marina All-Suites.

• Liked — location and frienliness
  • Disliked — cost
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
san antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

Marina All Suites staff went above and beyond to make my stay comfortable. I booked a surfing lesson through a teacher not associated with the hotel. They instructed him to sign in a log that they keep and were very specific about the details of my lesson because they were translating for me. Needless to say, the teacher was a no-show after I had paid. The hotel gave me the money that I had paid the teacher, even though they were at absoloutely no fault. The staff also found me a boat to charter the day after Christmas with an hour's notice. The rooms were very clean and all the staff quickly learned our party's names and made everyone feel like a memeber of the family. The shower is like a rain shower and they leave truffles on your pillow at turn down service. I have stayed at some great hotels all over the world, but the staff makes this one the best.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Antrim
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 8 nights earlier this month.
This is a lovely chic apartment style hotel in the quieter Leblon area of Rio. It is not a very big hotel and consists of 38 suites laid out over 18 floors with a roof top pool and gymnasium, steam room and a business centre on 2 of the floors as well as a bar restaurant on level 2. What it lacks in size it makes up for in personal attention.

The suites are a good size and consist of a comfortable queen or king size bed with a bathroom with tub/shower combo and a living area with sofa TV and table and chairs. Our suite was clean and more than comfortable. What makes this hotel is the staff, nothing is too much trouble for them. From the bellboys to the cleaners they are all so mannerly and helpful (as are all Brazilians we found) They are all impeccably turned out in their brown uniforms and are always on hand without becoming to imposing. The hotel manager is Henato and his cool nature and professionalism is mirrored throughout the staff. Leblon is a quieter area of Rio and is next down from Ipanema beach. The hotel is an off shoot of the Marina hotel 2 buildings up. We were able to have lunch in the Marina hotel and still quote or room number of the all suites.

The all suites and hotel have an area on the beach which provides sun chairs and parasols and will look after your belongings when in the water. Some of the rooms have an ocean view while others have a side view of the ocean. We got a side view and too be honest it didnt really bother us as the beach is literally on your doorstep. The side view rooms have a good view of the Christ statue and the city. The hotel was full when we were there and it caters for business types to couples young and old. No families though! we guessed its a little too expensive for that. The bar/ restaurant is expensive but the food is really good and it doesnt close until 2am. Breakfast is also served in the bar restaurant and is good as well but perhaps a little variation with the menu would have been nice.

The foyer area is small and the downstairs bar was closed when we were there but these didnt bother us as we went out during the day and again at night. We used the steam room once but not the pool which is very small. With the beach across the street and the pool east facing the sun is only on it early in the day. Again we didnt make use of the pool or the gym. The hotel offered us one free massage which was great after a hard days sight seeing. We have no complaints about this hotel and our stay was very enjoyable in it but if you like the buzz of a big international hotel with a busy bar area and foyer where you can people watch this is not the place for you. It is quiet discreet and efficient and has that personal touch which sets it above the rest.
Leblon is a lovely area as is ipanema and parts of copa as well. There are not as many hawkers on the beach as say copa. Despite all the stories we felt under no threat in Rio as long as you be sensible like in all big cities. Make sure and visit the sights and go downtown as well. Rio has everything, beach, city and jungle and famous sights all in one.
Marina all suites is a great place for to base and expore Rio.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Breakfast menu needs some variation
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
san francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

I recently returned from a tour of the "3" jewels---Buenos Aires, Iguassu Falls and Rio de Janiero.

I am evaluating this hotel with the perspective that 4 and 5 star hotels are definitely different in Rio than in America. From what I have researched and seen I know that I stayed at a major winner!
It definitely made my trip even better to know I was so cared for.

Being a single woman going to Brazil, I proceeded cautiously.
I can't say enough about Brazil's welcoming people--especially at Marina All-Suites. The staff was STELLAR!

I figure that there are 38 suites and I could personally name over 10 staff members.The staff to guest ratio was very intimate. The personal attention was marvelous.

Each staff member did his/her job with such genuine enthusiasm and detail that I found myself sad to say goodbye and when we did, we parted with hugs and emails.

The place is located on the charming and safe Leblon beach just down from Ipanema. The building is fairly new and decorated with much detail and fashion.

All rooms are suites and have an ocean view. Some have front ocean views. The whole place is spotless and immaculate. Even though it has a hip feel you never feel any attitude. It is casual elegance.

All the sheets and towels and robes smelled sparkly fresh and the bath products were luxurious. The Suites were huge. All were at least 2 rooms. The windows opened out to the ocean and you can hear the waves from your room. There is a nice
business center and a lounge and even a private movie theater.(you can borrow movies for free at the local video store and watch a movie) If you have time!

There is a very swanky-looking restaurant on the 2nd floor but again, there is no attitude--just warm, warm staff who make you feel like you area in your second home.

At night the bar is really hopping. Sometimes the service was slow. Again I don't think it was purposeful I think it was just the pace. It is telling that for the 6 days I was there, the clock always read: 10:00!

The hotel managed to be lively while very quiet and peaceful with all the creature comforts thought about carefully,

The biggest surprise was the breakfast which was included in my nightly rate. I can't even describe how delicious it was. Typically breakfasts are buffets at hotels. This was all made-to-order yumminess. You are handed a menu with choices and you can keep ordering whatever you'd life--Fresh Mango, Watermelon, Papaya, Pineapple and Orange Juice, Homemade yogurt parfaits, Omelettes , pancakes, waffles, homemade jams and delicious breads made the start of the day fantabulous---oh, and even bottled water was included in the breakfast.

The staff was super. Service with a major smile, that's for sure and I didn't have that feeling like they just wanted tips. I felt like they genuinely wanted to take care of me. This was a nice feeling being a single person in Rio. Any questions I had were readily answered and insights about the city were revealed.

After I went hang-gliding the staff went to so much work to try to upload the pictures for me since I was too excited to wait until I got home.

The beach service was great.
You go down and give your room# and someone sets up an umbrella, chair and towels for you.

My major complaint would be that they charge an absolute fortune to use the internet.

If you go to breakfast you will see the warm smile of Claudet
When you enter the building Anastacio and Fabiano will be smiling. Sergio will help you with anything you need. Veronica and Rose will help you in housekeeping and Eduardo and Marlucia on the nightshift have all the advice you need for a good night out. Carolina will make sure all is smooth and finally
Bianca's enthusiasm will be infectious.

Marina All-Suites has a sister hotel next door. I am THRILLED I went with All Suites instead of her sister.

• Liked — The Warmth of the Staff and the Cleanliness of the Rooms
  • Disliked — The high prices for Extras--such as, the internet, dinner and laundry services
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

What a great place, in a great location! The hotel is very nice with large rooms. The room was getting a bit warn (e.g., scrapes on the door, carpet seems, etc.) but nothing major. The restaurant is excellent, with great room service. It worked great for us as we had our two kids (ages 4 and 1). Leblon is beautiful and very safe.

• Stayed March 2008
Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

In summary,
The large suite was comfortable enough, though the decor was not as stylish as you would imagine. Bathroom certainly needed upgrading. Quite poor.
Concierge staff helpful and friendly. Bar staff not. In fact, they would not allow my husband and I to sit at one of the lovely tables near the window '' In case a party of 6 come in.'' The bar was practically empty and I gathered that if non guests of the hotel came for a drink and they were a bigger party than us, then they could have the best seats. We were guests of the hotel and were not allowed those seats. Very poor show, we felt.
The location and views wonderful.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bar staff's attitude
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2008

I spent five nights over Christmas at the Marina All Suites... this was my fourth stay there but first time during a major holiday. I booked late and to begin with they were completely sold out (it is a small hotel) but later the reservations manager emailed me to say that there was a master suite available but that I'd need to be out by the 30th as there were great plans for the New Year's weekend and those nights had been sold out for months.

I'm very fond of this hotel for a lot of reasons -- right in front of Leblon beach, small, very friendly staff, windows that open wide, spacious rooms and minimal low-key decor. I also like the fact that as a woman travelling solo I am well-looked after, I very much appreciate the personal touch both in the hotel and in the excellent dining room where I had breakfast and dinner each day.

Due to the upcoming festivites there was some construction going on, it didn't affect me except once in a while when I had to wait and wait for the elevator. The hotel has 2 elevators but one was out of commission the entire time and as the hotel has 18 floors (3 suites per floor) the traffic could sometimes jam up. But this was a mild inconvenience as I was never really in a hurry to get anywhere.

An earlier reviewer has posted an excellent description of the master suite so I won't bother with that. What I liked most was getting up early and walking along the water's edge from one end of the Leblon beach to the other, then having breakfast and returning to the beach to sit out under an umbrella as close to the water as I could get and take in all the action around me. It's one of the greatest shows on earth and the fact that it's free and very safe makes it even better. I did a little bathing but there is a rip tide there so I never went out beyond the breakers. Also loved buying a fresh coconut from a vendor and sipping the juice through a straw.

I didn’t go any farther afield than Ipanema but would walk down there most afternoons and buy CDs and DVDs and stop somewhere for a light lunch. I was lucky with the weather; it had been raining for over a week but stopped the day I arrived and we had sunshine the entire time.

Marina All Suites is expensive, most Europeans wouldn't find it so but those of us spending dollars are very much aware that it is. But for me it's absolutely worth the splurge as the hotel and staff are so special. And Leblon is very best part of Rio... I can't imagine ever staying in a hotel in Copacabana, I'd sooner go somewhere else on holiday than to spend my time there.

I recommend notifying the hotel in advance if you’ll need transportation from the airport. They provided a car and driver to meet me, and surprisingly the cost was less than the independent driver I’ve used in the past. The same driver took me back to the airport at the end of my stay.

• Liked — fabulous views, great bed and bedding, lots of space and privacy
  • Disliked — air conditioners can be noisy
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Marina All Suites? Share your experiences!