“I wouldn't stay here if in Rio” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel

You added Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel to your Saves list
Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Princesa Isabel, 263 | Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22011010, Brazil   |
Ranked #26 of 217 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“I wouldn't stay here if in Rio”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We arrived at 3am in Rio, so needed a place to stay for a few hours. This was $200 a night, cheap for Rio, but it was a very small pokey room, with an awful view. The bathroom to be fair was very nice, didn't eat breakfast just got out of there. Staff at front desk were nice enough, but it felt soulless and like a glorified hostel. I'd be very disappointed if I was staying there for longer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
NeubeBrigagao, General Manager at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your review. During 2013 we will be renovating our rooms so if you have any suggestions we will be glad to hear them. It's sad that you didn't tried our breakfast as it is highly regarded by our guests. I would definittly recommend that in another stay.
Please feel free to contact me at anytime in case you decide to try our services again. It will be a pleasure to help you.
Neube Brigagão

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
Danville Knox County, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for business in Rio. The hotel is located one block from Copacabana Beach, which reduces the price considerably. The staff is extremely friendly and accommodating (I needed to change rooms due to internet connectivity problems and was also able to get a late check-out till 3:00 PM.). The room furnishings are starting to show their age and could use upgrading.

Overall a good stay. I would stay here again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
NeubeBrigagao, General Manager at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and also for sharing your experience with us. If you have any suggestions for improvements they will be happily accepted as we are looking forward to renovate our rooms on the next year. Please feel free to contact me at anytime.
US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This review is from a business traveler's point-of-view.

The Good:
The hotel is in a good location, close to Copacabana Beach and within walking distance to Ipanema, as well as local shops laundramat, grocery stores, restaurants, etc. It is also close to the office and only need a 5-7 minutes taxi ride with traffic. The stay was pleasant enough for long stay- friendly staff, clean rooms, helpful staff. One of the staff in the hotel restaurant started to know my regular order for dinner and drinks- both breakfast and dinner offer a wide variety of local foods. The ocean breeze at night is great and the a/c can switched off.

The Bad:
The internet connection is slow, around 54Mbps of shared bandwidth, and the worse part is the internet access registering every 12 hours. Also only device can access the wifi at anytime per registered guest which is counter-intiuitive given the proliferation of smart-phone, and as a business traveler, this warranted a deduction of 1 star/circle from the rating.
The walls are thin, more so than a Motel6, and all the plumbing noises can be heard from adjacent rooms.

Not sure if this is warranted, but since this hotel is located in a busy street, the traffic noise can be bothersome.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. Regarding the internet issue I can guarantee that your next experience will be better as we are improving that service until December.
Anyway, you should not experience any trouble registering your devices. Please feel free to contact me in case in happens again in the future.
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I liked this hotel for my short stay in Rio. The room at the 10th floor was very clean, there was no noise coming in from outside.
Nice view from the roof where there was a bar and the pool (which we did not try thus can not review).
I did not like the hotel's restaurant which is small and very crowded and thus I did not enjoy breakfast there. Also the food was not that great at breakfast.
What I appreciated most is that they offer free transport to the airport!!!
I recommend it!

Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel. I'm glad that you appreciated your stay with us and also that you shared it with the world.
I hope to welcome you to Rio again in the near future.
Sincerely
west london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We absolutly loved Cococabana but would urge you not to stay here. The rooms were too small, there was only one wardrobe with built in drawers for one. No other chest of drawers. Tlhis was a twin room and one of us had to live out of his suitcase! Beds were OK, pillows were lumpy and unsupportive. Walls were thin we could hear other toilets flushing and people moving about. The air conditioning was noisy so we turned it off - however the noise didn't stop! There was a dripping noise from the bathroom which we couldn't locate and must have been behind a wall or something. Towels were the thinnest I've been given in a hotel. If I'd had them at home I'd have thrown them away. Beds were tolerable. Breakfast was poor - the 'orange juice' was squash.. The pool on the roof was OK to have a dip in to keep cool but impossible to swim in. The staff are friendly and you can go to the sister hotel down the road which seems more professional. This has 38 floors and you should go up there for the views and photos (sunsets!). The hotel has loungers on the beach which they will set up for you with (better) towels. The beach on Sunday is packed with locals for a great atmosphere. You could go to the Cococabana Palace Hotel for a lunchtime buffet - £40.00 but worth it for a bit of luxury - they put the beer bottle in an ice bucket!! (food was good too). We felt very safe in the area, there is a police presence and it is well lit and busy with people late at night.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel or ask to see the room first (may not make any difference)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NeubeBrigagao, Gerente geral at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Guest,
First of all I Would like to thank for your comments.
I would like to put myself at your disposal in case you decide to come back to Rio to show you some different suite options we have in the hotel. I do not agree with your opinion on our breakfast as it can be called many names but poor. We offer a very large buffet with quality produtcs and a big part of our guests manifest their apreciation in its regard.
Anyway, this is an open space for opinions and I respect yours as an experienced traveler.
Please feel free to contact me at anytime for suggestions and also to help you in case you decide to come back to Rio.
Dursley, Gloucestershire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is the worst hotel I think we have ever had the misfortune of staying in. The rooms are so small, dark, dinghy and basic they were just depressing. There was barely enough room to walk past the ends of the 2 x single beds to get to the bathroom. There was only room for 1 chair at the small desk, so one of you had to sit on the bed the whole time. It was very noisy, you could hear every little sound from the adjacent rooms, telephones ringing, showers being turned on, the flush of the toilet etc. etc.
The restaurant menu was limited and the food quality was poor, but worse, the customer focus of the staff was severely lacking. For example, I had been very ill with food poisoning. I was slowly trying to build myself back up but could not eat a very large portion of food in one go. We went to the restaurant that evening and explained the situation and asked if they would do a half portion for me. They refused. We ended up ordering anyway as I had to have something to eat and I really didn’t feel up to going out. I ordered steak medallions. The joke is that when it arrived, it was 2 pieces of steak plus potatoes and veg. How easy would it have been to just cook one piece of steak and half the amount of veg?? Really, really poor customer service. Of course I couldn't eat even half of it, it was such a waste. Oh, and the steak was over cooked!
The plus points of this hotel is the location, 2 mins to Copacabana beach. The rooftop pool terrace is nice and they provide free wifi.
We wouldn't recommend it though I'm afraid as the rooms were so awful and the head waiter was so inflexible.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NeubeBrigagao, General Manager at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for your comments. Unfortunately our rooms were not what you expected and for now there is very little I can do for you in that sense. We will be improving our facilities in 2013 and your comments will certainly be considered then. Regarding the restaurant issue all I can say is that our options are all for just one person and for that reason we don`t do half portion. We do have many options for your situation on the menu (soups, sandwiches etc.) and I`m sorry that none of them have satisfied your taste.
Once again I thank you for your comments and I hope to have you as our guest again in the future.
Passo Fundo, RS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The hotel has some good things and others really really bad.
The good things are: localization (just a few blocks from Copacabana beach), good and diversified breakfast, a very nice pool area in the rooftop and helpful reception crew.
The bad things are: the room was very small (and if you have a lot of baggage it'll be a huge problem to fit all in), a very noise chambermaids staff (at 6 am you can hear them talking to each other or knocking things over), and the most annoying part, the walls are really really thin and the plumbing is crap. You can hear basically everything from other rooms: people talking and coughing, TV noise and the most disgut part, you can hear all details when somebody goes to the bathroom in other apartments.

Room Tip: I don't know if you can find better suites in this hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your comments. I'm certain that they will be of great value to other trip advisor users as they were to us. We look forward to have you with us again in the future. Sincerely,
Neube Brigagão

Been to Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel? Share your experiences!