“Loved Cococabana but not this hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel

You added Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel to your Saves list
Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Princesa Isabel, 263 | Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22011010, Brazil   |
Ranked #24 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
west london
“Loved Cococabana but not this hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We absolutly loved Cococabana but would urge you not to stay here. The rooms were too small, there was only one wardrobe with built in drawers for one. No other chest of drawers. Tlhis was a twin room and one of us had to live out of his suitcase! Beds were OK, pillows were lumpy and unsupportive. Walls were thin we could hear other toilets flushing and people moving about. The air conditioning was noisy so we turned it off - however the noise didn't stop! There was a dripping noise from the bathroom which we couldn't locate and must have been behind a wall or something. Towels were the thinnest I've been given in a hotel. If I'd had them at home I'd have thrown them away. Beds were tolerable. Breakfast was poor - the 'orange juice' was squash.. The pool on the roof was OK to have a dip in to keep cool but impossible to swim in. The staff are friendly and you can go to the sister hotel down the road which seems more professional. This has 38 floors and you should go up there for the views and photos (sunsets!). The hotel has loungers on the beach which they will set up for you with (better) towels. The beach on Sunday is packed with locals for a great atmosphere. You could go to the Cococabana Palace Hotel for a lunchtime buffet - £40.00 but worth it for a bit of luxury - they put the beer bottle in an ice bucket!! (food was good too). We felt very safe in the area, there is a police presence and it is well lit and busy with people late at night.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel or ask to see the room first (may not make any difference)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NeubeBrigagao, Gerente geral at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Guest,
First of all I Would like to thank for your comments.
I would like to put myself at your disposal in case you decide to come back to Rio to show you some different suite options we have in the hotel. I do not agree with your opinion on our breakfast as it can be called many names but poor. We offer a very large buffet with quality produtcs and a big part of our guests manifest their apreciation in its regard.
Anyway, this is an open space for opinions and I respect yours as an experienced traveler.
Please feel free to contact me at anytime for suggestions and also to help you in case you decide to come back to Rio.
Neube Brigagão

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
Dursley, Gloucestershire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is the worst hotel I think we have ever had the misfortune of staying in. The rooms are so small, dark, dinghy and basic they were just depressing. There was barely enough room to walk past the ends of the 2 x single beds to get to the bathroom. There was only room for 1 chair at the small desk, so one of you had to sit on the bed the whole time. It was very noisy, you could hear every little sound from the adjacent rooms, telephones ringing, showers being turned on, the flush of the toilet etc. etc.
The restaurant menu was limited and the food quality was poor, but worse, the customer focus of the staff was severely lacking. For example, I had been very ill with food poisoning. I was slowly trying to build myself back up but could not eat a very large portion of food in one go. We went to the restaurant that evening and explained the situation and asked if they would do a half portion for me. They refused. We ended up ordering anyway as I had to have something to eat and I really didn’t feel up to going out. I ordered steak medallions. The joke is that when it arrived, it was 2 pieces of steak plus potatoes and veg. How easy would it have been to just cook one piece of steak and half the amount of veg?? Really, really poor customer service. Of course I couldn't eat even half of it, it was such a waste. Oh, and the steak was over cooked!
The plus points of this hotel is the location, 2 mins to Copacabana beach. The rooftop pool terrace is nice and they provide free wifi.
We wouldn't recommend it though I'm afraid as the rooms were so awful and the head waiter was so inflexible.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NeubeBrigagao, General Manager at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for your comments. Unfortunately our rooms were not what you expected and for now there is very little I can do for you in that sense. We will be improving our facilities in 2013 and your comments will certainly be considered then. Regarding the restaurant issue all I can say is that our options are all for just one person and for that reason we don`t do half portion. We do have many options for your situation on the menu (soups, sandwiches etc.) and I`m sorry that none of them have satisfied your taste.
Once again I thank you for your comments and I hope to have you as our guest again in the future.
Passo Fundo, RS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The hotel has some good things and others really really bad.
The good things are: localization (just a few blocks from Copacabana beach), good and diversified breakfast, a very nice pool area in the rooftop and helpful reception crew.
The bad things are: the room was very small (and if you have a lot of baggage it'll be a huge problem to fit all in), a very noise chambermaids staff (at 6 am you can hear them talking to each other or knocking things over), and the most annoying part, the walls are really really thin and the plumbing is crap. You can hear basically everything from other rooms: people talking and coughing, TV noise and the most disgut part, you can hear all details when somebody goes to the bathroom in other apartments.

Room Tip: I don't know if you can find better suites in this hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your comments. I'm certain that they will be of great value to other trip advisor users as they were to us. We look forward to have you with us again in the future. Sincerely,
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed here in October for 5 nights. The staff were second to non! Nothing was too much trouble!! The hotel was lovely and clean with a good pool bar on the roof!
I was rather disappointed with the room as it was very basic compared to the hotel. However it was clean and comfortable so I cant complain too much.
Breakfast was nice and plenty of choice.
Location was good however I think if I went again I would choose the other Windsor on Copacobana beach.

Room Tip: Smoking rooms are on the first floor so if you smoke and you want a view - this isnt going to happen...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
NeubeBrigagao, General Manager at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. In 2013 we will be renovating our rooms and if you have any sugestions please feel free to contact me at the hotel. Your experience is the best guide we can possibly have as a reference for future improvements.
Millers Point
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Well located in Copacabana we enjoyed staying here for 3 nights restaurant was nice service superb rooms basic but clean and fresh close to everything in Copacabana enjoyed it can recommend it as a place for the tourist trot to stay

• Stayed October 2012
NeubeBrigagao, General Manager at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Guest,
It is really good to read your nice comments about our hotel. Our efforts are always to deliver a great service and I believe that we've acomplished that during your stay with us.
We hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Windsor Plaza is a nice hotel a couple of blocks from the Copacabana beach. The halls and rooms have hard flooring, which makes it a little noisy. Also, the plumbing is quite noisy. When an adjoining room flushes the commode early in the morning, it is loud enough to wake you. They also cleaned the room above us both mornings at 7:30 AM. This involved sweeping and moving furniture. It sounded like the cleaning was actually going on in our room.

Other than the noise, it was a good stay. It's a good hotel for the price. As you know, Rio is crazy expensive.

Room Tip: The roof top pool is nice and has a great view of the area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your opinion is truly important to us and to other Trip Advisor users.
We are glad to know that you've enjoyed your stay in Rio and we hope to welcome you again really soon.
Dakar, Dakar, Senegal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed for 5 days in the hotel, room is pricey and very small. I could not fit into the bed. I did take the superior luxe double room, thinking it would be worth it, but i ended up paying more money for nothing. Staff was really polite, reason for the 2 stars.
The breakfast buffet was good too.
The rooms are noisy, u can hear bathrooms running in the hotel which is a big no no for me

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for the time dedicated to this evaluation. Unfortunately our rooms were not up to your expectations and for now all I can do is to promise to take your words in consideration for future improvements.
Should you decide to give us a secong chance it will be a great pleasure to help.
Neube Brigagão

Been to Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel? Share your experiences!