“VERY expensive but what do you expect in Ipanema?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Everest Rio Hotel

You added Everest Rio Hotel to your Saves list
Everest Rio Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1117 Prudente de Morais St | Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22420-041, Brazil (Lagoa)   |
Ranked #116 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Daventry, United Kingdom
“VERY expensive but what do you expect in Ipanema?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here for my fiancees birthday. For 170 GBP a night I expected more both from the room and the service. Positives - the view for breakfast was amazing as was having a few drinks by the pool (rooftop). Again, the view from the bedroom was amazing too. That's where it ended, check in and check out was very long, bathroom was dated and not particularly clean. Location was okay. I just expect more when paying that sort of price. They didn't even have an iron so had to go out in a creased shirt for dinner.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Lenzerheide, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Following a disastrous experience at the Marina Palace Hotel in Leblon, we decided to try something else. For the same price, we did not get a room with a view (which is a pity). However, the hotel is in good shape overall, the service was attentive (which, by Rio standards, would make it deserve an "exceptional" note), the breakfast buffet is great, the WiFi is free and really works, and the rooms are rather spacious and comfortable.

We had one little incident, encountering, in the corridor to our room, a barata (cockroach), which was probably attracted by the kitchen smell that had crept in through the windows that had been left open. The beast was killed, and we did not see any of that any more.

Check-out was fast and efficient. In my opinion, this hotel makes a little more of an effort to compensate for the fact they are not on Vieira Souto or Delfim Moreira, but are one block away from the beach.

Room Tip: Aim for a high floor to improve your view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Pros:
Breakfast buffet was excellent and the wifi connection was blazing fast. Location was convenient as well. Only a block away from the beach and a short taxi ride to the big mall.

Cons:
Overpriced hotel just like the rest of Rio hotels. You pay 5-star rate for a 3-star hotel at best. There's not enough lights and every room was dark (bedroom, bathroom, hallways). The entire facility is old and rundown. The walls are paper thin.

Twilight Zone:
At the breakfast buffet people went in their pajamas and swim wear. Think speedos and skimpy bikinis. Not exactly the kind of sight you want to see while you're eating. Just straight up weird and disgusting!! How about a dress code Everest Hotel?

Room Tip: I highly advice that you take a look at my review on Copacabana and Ipanema Beach! Rio is ok but tr...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Great location , 2 minutes from Ipanema beach. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Breakfast on the 23 rd floor offers great views of the ipanema beach and surroundings. Small sushi restaurant slightly off from the spacious lobby. Everything is done to make your stay easy and comfortable. 4 minutes walk from the Garota de Ipanema restaurant where the Ipanema girl song was written..the song is much better than the food !.
Best to go to Santha Theresa area or down town old Rio for great atmosphere and dishes.
The hotel is a good place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Elgin, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Had booked a double but was given a twin with no reason nor would they change / refund difference! Menu good, excellent value. If you like red wines you must drink the Argentinian range, I know - we shouldn't be supporting them at this time but they are great. Iponema is a thriving part of Rio. Don't be scared to explore, it's a bustling community not 2 blocks from the beach. Shops sell branded goods but some good stuff to buy. Stayed at very end of trip and wish I could have spent more time Exploring area. There is a real shortage of hotel rooms in Rio which leads me to believe that this particular hotel trades on this, subsequently it is a little up its own a.....

• Stayed March 2013
Sligo, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have stayed here about 5 times now in 3 years and I have decided enough is enough and will not return. A resident is just another number here and even though they should recognise and welcome you once again, they just don't bother. On this trip, I stayed two weekends in a row with extensive travel throughout Brazil in between my stay here. Although slightly reluctant to book it for the following weekend due to some issues on my first stay (pricey, old room, leaky showers), I decided to go ahead because at least, I know the area etc. When I booked the second time via their web site, I specifically had asked for a room on a high floor at the back away from noise and when I arrived, they gave me a room at the front on the 13th floor. I am not sure why but being on the 13th floor actually sounded as loud as being on the first floor. One of the reasons was the windows were so flimsy. as a result, I was kept awake for both nights. When I asked them to help me immediately upon hearing the noise in the room, I was told they couldn't do anything about it as the rooms were already allocated for the night (it was 8pm and I am sure they all weren't arrived yet). Although promised they would try to get me a different room the following day for the next night, they did nothing about it and when I asked again at around 2 pm, I was fobbed off again and they said would check with the person that was on duty and call my room with the result. Of course, they didn't do anything and I just had to bear with it and was kept awake again. It was even worse as it was a Saturday night and there was some sort of street party at the bar across the street with people screaming and singing most of the night. I had also asked in my booking if they would allow me a few hours extra on my checkout day as I was on a night flight and they ignored this request and when I asked them, was told I would have to pay 1/2 the room rate if I stayed even one minute past 12 noon (this was nearly 100 euros extra). What is really strange is the room wasn't cleaned most days until 4-5pm so I am not sure what the issue was apart from trying to make extra cash. On one of my previous stays, they allowed me a two hour extra stay free of charge. There were other issues that had also occurred the previous weekend stay: in general, very old furnishings in the bathroom and room, with broken power plugs and in my latest stay room, there was a big hole in the wall where a plug used to be with a wire visible in it. They hadn't bothered to fix the gaping hole; leaking water from shower into the bathroom (it seems to be an issue with leaks in the marble as opposed to the doors) and leaking water from the ceiling in the bathroom seems to be a common problem. For the leak in the ceiling, I was told it was the air conditioning unit but I was very worried it might actually be dirty shower water from the room overhead as most rooms have buckets of water following showers on the floors. I overheard another resident complaining about the same thing quite loudly at the front desk. Some good points: great water pressure in shower, location, breakfast good although hot food should be varied more often as it is only scrambled eggs and chopped up hot dogs in onions every day, nice fast wifi that works for 3 devices during whole stay. Only thing for the phone devices, it seems to knock you off very often and you need to relog in with a long username and password on a small computer sheet that becomes unreadable after about two days in your pocket or wallet. But they will give you a new one without problems. Great large screen tvs with number of excellent movie channels.

Room Tip: good luck. they won't honor your request
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed here during the Carnaval period for 3 nights in which the rate is about 600 bucks a night. Got a renovated room, which is nice and spacious. Pretty well amenities. The only problem was cleanliness and maintenance. Since the moment I checked into the room, the parquet floor was filthy. Literally dusty with sand, hair, and you name it. I walked few minutes barefoot and I had to wash my feet from all the dirt - no joke. Asked the front desk to order re-vacuuming upon going about town. Returned to somewhat cleaner floor but there are spots beside the bed, between the twin beds, that were left just as it were before. I know it because the dust and hair is visible. The 'cleaned' part was not mopped hence still feel like a film of dust. The shower space is huge but the water does not drain properly, so does the sinks. Again, until the day we checked out the shower was not cleaned as it should. Debris such as hair on the drain stopper, was NEVER removed. Paying such a rate especially for high season, I'd expect even more attention to such details. Front desk was excellent and attentive, lack of english speaking bellboys. Breakfast is mediocre. The only thing I can praise is the excellent location, and the fact that we get chairs on the beach courtesy of the hotel. Would not stay in this hotel if it weren't for the lack of choices during high season and its location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Everest Rio Hotel? Share your experiences!