“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Copacabana Praia Hotel

You added Copacabana Praia Hotel to your Saves list
Copacabana Praia Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Francisco Otaviano 30 | Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22080040, Brazil (Copacabana)   |
Ranked #147 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Excellent location, clean and comfortable room, friendly and helpful staff - great breakfast ! Recommend that you get a room as high up as possible to get a view. Location is brilliant for proximity to beaches, restaurants and shopping, and staff vey attentive at organising taxis etc;

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel is in a great spot, right between Copacabana and Ipanema. The rooms are spacious and clean. Get a room as high up as possible. We were on the 9th floor and had a balcony with a bit of an ocean view. The staff is moderately helpful but the breakfast is good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Great location between Ipanema and Copacabana. Easy to walk to either beach area.

Staff was very helpful.

room was nice enough. Clean... quiet... all the basics

Internet often only worked in Reception but it did work well there.

I'd stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Just returned from a stay here-

The pros- great location, staff is very nice and helpful with directions, taxis, etc, price isn't bad, wifi works well throughout the hotel, AC works well, and room/bathroom were overall very clean.

The Cons- I read prior reviews about trying to get an upper floor, i tried several times but had no luck changing rooms, and was stuck on the 4th floor. The room isn't that bad, it's just old and shabby. The bathroom was ok, but it sounds like some of the upper floors have more renovated bathrooms. The restaurant was pretty bad, and unappetizing.
But I'm home, now and have itchy red bites on my arms and legs, and can only think it's bed bugs, since my friends who were with me (and stayed in a different hotel) have no bites. And believe me, the beds in my room have to have been at least 30 years old.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Burdickville, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

I arrived late (1:00am) and even though I had asked for an upper room, I ended up on the 4th floor facing the busy street.

In the morning I visited the front desk and asked if they could move me up. They had me check back at noon (check out time). When I did, they showed me 1103 and asked if it was acceptable. Yes! I went from a tired, noisy room to a bright nicer room with an awesome view of the sea.

I can't express the difference enough. If you book here, try to get an upper room!

• Stayed November 2012
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I stayed here for six nights in August 2012 and loved it! I was given a room on the 11th floor and had great views of both Ipanema and Copacabana beaches. The men who run the reception counter were so friendly and helpful - they really made me feel welcome and went out of their way to help me with even the smallest things like recommending restaurants etc. The doorman even arranged for his brother (who was a licensed guide) to do a private tour at a very reasonable rate.

The restaurant staff were very friendly and remembered me after the first night. Their food was of good quality and reasonably priced. The included breakfast was more than sufficient and kept me satisfied.

The only thing of slight concern was the weekend cleaning staff seemed to like looking through my stuff - not that it really bothered me as I didn't keep anything valuable in the room but just be mindful of it. This did not happen during the week, in fact she was lovely and always obliging with a smile.

The location was absolutely perfect, I did not find it noisy, the air conditioner really wasn't needed but wasn't that noisy anyway. They are the older style air con units but I didn't see any modern (i.e. quiet) ones any where.

Good value for money, clean and good sized (I've stayed in way smaller in Italy/France) and I think each room has a balcony. It was a shame that I stayed here in the first week as my hotel for the second week was so disappointing and I spent the whole time wishing I could go back to Copacabana Praia! I felt safe and welcomed. If I was to return to Rio I would definitely stay here again.

By the way Praia means beach in Portuguese!

Room Tip: A higher room is better to get away from the street noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I would rate this hotel as average. We moved here from an nearby hotel which was better value for money but sadly couldn't accomodate a longer stay.

The location is great, the view from the roof is beautiful. I guess even though it was more expensive than the atlantis it is still reasonably priced for the area and by rio standards.

The rooms were modern and clean and the air con worked well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Copacabana Praia Hotel? Share your experiences!