“OK for Rio, not so by world standards for this price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rio Othon Palace Hotel

You added Rio Othon Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Rio Othon Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Atlantica 3264, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22070-000, Brazil (Copacabana)   |
Ranked #46 of 217 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
“OK for Rio, not so by world standards for this price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

Its entrance appearance is of a good standard 3* hotel. Most of the rest doesn’t live up to this initial impression. It seems hotels in Rio rely on the fact that this is Rio and you accept what is offered. This goes for the front desk staff and the rest of the hotel. People not very informative or helpful on arrival, just functional. For example there is a tour desk in the foyer but this represents people who have booked with that company only. You use the hotel concierge. But nothing of this type is offered as explanation, it’s up to you to find out. As with the beach towel service which is located in the basement. This hotel is not cheap as we opted for an Ocean Front junior suite which has a corner room with enclosed balcony. The views are needless to say stunning, this is Copacabana. But the furniture in the room and general decor was not up to the standard you would expect for a junior suite, in fact just a basic wooden table and two uncomfortable wooden charirst. Standard bathroom and it did come with a full choice of toiletries Breakfast is similarly not of a high standard just very average in an extremely busy large room. All self service buffet without the normal western offerings of sausage, bacon, beans or eggs, not recommended but ok for fruit juice, cereal and some toast to start the day. Or cakes if you’re Brazilian...a good choice of those. There is a small plunge pool on top of the hotel but nothing more than something for a 2 minute cool off Probably, for the price, one of the better offerings for a corner room along Copacabana but don’t come expecting luxury. And finally all the alarms about safety in Copacabana we found to be nonsense. We walked Avenue Atlantica every evening and it was always busy with plenty of other people around and with beachside bars about every 200 metres along the promenade busy with customers until midnight we never felt isolated or unsafe. In fact the bars can be thoroughly recommended for a cheap beer and caiprahina.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

I stayed here on an invitation of The Brazilian Government during Carnival. So I am being completely objective.
First the good:
Great views room if above 12 floor great, because it has been renovated. Food was just ok.
Now the bad:
As an American, the air conditioning in most of Brazil is horrible. It is very difficult to sleep when you are sweating all nigh. I suggest you put the air on high when you arrive and never lower it. Hotel is not a 5 or 4 star by any means...maybe a 3 star hotel at best.The main problem is cost versus what you get. My hotel was paid for, and I only stayed 4 days and my incidentals were $350.00 American!!!!!. I did not call long distance at all. It was all local calls and Internet (yes they charge 25 reals daily for Internet) but it never worked well. Now to the worse of the worse. They have a strict policy that does not allow non-guest to go up to any room (so if you are single looking for a romantic experience, stay away from this place) . Anyway, by friend and I were invited to a special event and he was not staying here, and had his backpack. I told him to leave it in my room and he can get it when we returned later that evening. As he and I went upstairs to leave the bag, the security guys yelled you are not a guest you can not go upstairs. It almost implied that we were going upstairs as a couple. It was very un-professional. Last the staff is very snobbish. Sorry, I like the staff of the hotel where I stay to cater to me. They acted like they were doing me a favor.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
RioOthonPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Rio Othon Palace Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2010
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your comment posted at Trip Advisor and also the praises for our room and food.
We regret the fact that you had problems with the air conditioning.
We stay at your disposal to verify your account to check if all the incidentals were correct.
As you mentioned your stay was during Carnival period, when the Hotel, which has 570 rooms, is fully booked with more than 1.000 guests in the building. For this reason we take steps to ensure the safety of our guests and one of these actions is not allow any kind of visit of non-guest in the room, thereby avoiding problems that occurred in previous years.
We hope to welcome you in our Hotel on your next stay in Rio de Janeiro!

florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

Arrived at othon palace may 10th, first night I remember waking up scratching, same second night but for some reason did not wake up to investigate. on Wednesday, I did check and found huge black bugs all over the bed and noticed bites on me all over, I cought a couple of them and took them down to the manager on duty who quickly relocated me to a bigger room but damage is done. my coleagues also tell me their rooms were not in good shape. I would not recommend this hotel. will post a follow up when (if) I receive a responce to my letter of complaint.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Dear Mr.Vincent Valdeperas,
Thank you for your comment posted at Trip Advisor.
We apologize for the fact that you found in your room huge black bugs all over the bed and noticed bites on you all over.
We took steps with our team of Housekeeping and also with an outsourced company to solve this matter.
We take this opportunity to register that we made a contact with you through e-mail and phone calls and both sides reached an agreement that was accepted by your side.
We hope to welcome you in our Hotel on your next stay in Rio de Janeiro!

Rio De Janeiro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

I've just spent one weekend, with my husband, at Rio Othon Palace to commemorate my birthday. It was a very pleasant stay. Our room on the 25th floor (deluxe category) was very comfortable and clean, with an outstanding view of Copacabana Beach, and all the amenities that we needed, including a safe which my laptop fitted into. Breakfast was on the 30th floor and had a great buffet. The employees were very kind. As a suggestion, in-room WiFi Internet connection should be for free. As a complaint, the hotel’s manager needs to improve the check-in and check-out time procedures. Then, it would be perfect.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

I liked this hotel despite its need for redecoration. Staff were helpful and friendly, Rooftop bar is a must before going to bed. Read up on Rio before going as the place is dangerous but extremely exciting. Shop around for excursion deals, and use the hotel cars, as these are a little bit more expensive than street taxis but a lot safer and reliable.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

We had stayed it this hotel on February 2010(Carnaval Period).
Excellend location but its not worth the money that you pay. The room (the bathroom even more) was dirty for days and they didnt clean it once. Poor breakfast. You pay extra to use the gym.
This is not 4 stars hotel!..It's not worth the money!!

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

During my quest for a room in Rio de Janeiro I have agreed to pay a high price for a hotel, in order to ensure a proper service to receive. Unfortunately, our stay was in this supposedly 5 * hotel a disaster!!!
We have already travelled much and in all kinds of hotels category, but what we have experienced here defies all reality!!!

Hereby our saga;

1 We have paid 461.00 € (+/- 1150,00 Brazilian R$) per night, this is above the average price we have been paid in Brazil. In the other hotels (Cataratas Hotel Foz do Iguacu, Villa d’Este Buzios), we always had value for money and an excellent service received, unfortunately, we did not have any service in this Rio Othon hotel despite 461.00 € per night (Carnaval is maybe a busy period, but for such low quality of services, we call this “steeling”).

2 At the time of reservation we ordered a deluxe-room, this means in accordance with the description of the hotel and on the website and of Bookings. com, a renovated room with frontal ocean view. On arrival at the Hotel we did not received the contractually ordered room , we have therefore taken immediately contact with the duty manager, she alleged that I had not ordered such room !!! (despite indication on Name of my reservation, and payment of 461.00 € per night).The duty manager at even went so far as accusing me that the documents which I had had been distorted!!! I was really angry. Ultimately, we had only the following day a deluxe room received after again insist on another duty manager and after loss of 2 days of our visit!!! Despite the deluxe chamber are really not worth their price the windows of the hotel (single glazing) let really all noise by and they are also dangerous, housekeeping is poor of service , it is really quite incredible that this hotel bears in its name “Palace”!!!

3 During the reservation on the website was shown that the payment was to be done in the hotel after the stay. However the total sum (4584,80 Brazilian R$) of our visit, was removed more than 2 months in advance on our credit card, while the services have not been delivered!!!
Consequently I could do absolutely nothing as a consumer for the failure of the contract!!!

4 By a deluxe room heard, according to the agreements, also a separate breakfastroom.
We have all this have to sort out by ourselves, and had to take breakfast with the other guests on the 3 floor, who have paid less(the breakfast was completely irresponsible as there was absolutely no protection between the food and the hundreds guests, the breakfast itself reserved for the so-called deluxe rooms was even not of quality !!!)

5. Notwithstanding that the hotel over 600 rooms, and probably many foreign guests, there was no adaptator to reload the mobile telephone and mobile computer,the only alternative that we are offered was to buy an adaptor and pay cash at the receptionist, strange way of doing so,in all other hotels we stayed in Brazil this was foreseen in the room and even internet was free of charge !!!

6 To my homecoming had I find that the data of my American Express card has been abused as there was a payment online happened in Madrid while I sat in Rio de Janeiro, I only used my Amex card in that day in Rio Othon Palace !!! At this moment it is not sure where the data of the CC have been stolen, but after this bad experience nothing will surprise me...

I am not the type that will submit a complaint for peanuts, but in this case, I was really chocked how we have been welcomed (not at all...) the day of arrival. I can do not allow other customers of both booking. com and Rio Othon hotel having te same and such bad experiences. However I would like to thank Melissa & Alberto from concierge, the next day they where trying to solve the several problems we had, despite the lack of technical and managerial support, to find a solution.

After complaining we did not received any support or any feedback, neighter from the hotel management neigther from bookings.com so we suppose they do not even care about the service they are providing, so if you have money to spend please do it with companys who respects their customers (guests) !!! (I had better read the reactions of the customers on Tripadvisor than I had certainly not chosen this hotel for a stay who had to be a remembered one during Carnival )

I really do hope they will improve the services given in this hotel, certainly if you keep in mind that Rio de Janeiro is a beautifull city who will have the pleasure to organise the 2016 Olympic games !!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Rio Othon Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!