“Cockroach in the room.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Rio Lancaster

You added Hotel Rio Lancaster to your Saves list
Hotel Rio Lancaster
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Atlantica 1470, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22021000, Brazil (Formerly Lancaster Othon Travel) (Copacabana)   |
Ranked #129 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
London, United Kingdom
“Cockroach in the room.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2014

Pros:
Location was right in front of the FIFA world cup store and in prime view of the action, concerts and world cup festivities.

A cute wine and coffee cafe is around the corner; it's delicious.

The room is spacious enough with a separate dining and bedroom area.

Cons:
The hotel is outdated, a cockroach was in the room, and I would definitely not stay again.

While the breakfast was decent, the cleanliness of this hotel is questionable and I didn't trust the food.

Poor view if you do not have a beach front hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a beach front room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2014

First, If you are contemplating staying at this hotel you must get a beach front facing room with a balcony otherwise and seriously do not bother. I stayed in this hotel during world cup with a couple of friends for about 7 nights too long. I saw both the beach front rooms and the ones at the back as I stayed 4 and 3 nights respectively, mainly due to availability during this period. I must say that the rooms are old, smelly and in great need of repair. The bathrooms are also really bad with old fittings and even walls falling apart. The breakfasts were simple and of very poor quality. Not nice at all. The staff were all friendly enough and tried their best to assist you. Then there is the red light district right in front of the hotel and all around. If you are into this, then this is your place. Hookers available at the front of your hotel every night and at all prices... Me for one had had enough after 1 night and could not wait to get out of this the worst part of Copacabana in all its dirty and diseased glory .... and did I forget the crank calls in the middle of the night from dodgy sounding characters... when I told the hotel staff about them they said they could not do anything about it... what a joke! If you can afford it, try and stay at the other end of Copacabana beach and as close as you can to Arpoador or Ipanema.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Joao Pessoa, PB
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2014

My very spacious apartment (comprising of sitting-room, bedroom and sizeable bathroom) had a wonderful view right out over Copacabana beach and the Atlantic Ocean with a small balcony on which to enjoy it. The furniture has seen better days and the televison belongs in a museum. The twin single beds also seemed a bit narrow after the customary double beds. Wifi is charged apart at R$10 a day. However, the room had a comfortable feel about it and was pleasantly spacious and light. Breakfast in the hotel is reasonable but if you wish to have lunch or dinner I suggest you look elsewhere. The menu is very ordinary and plates take time to be prepared. The beer selection consisted of one brand. But you still have a good view!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front looking out over the beach.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

The people were helpfull and the view over the Copacabana was breathtaking. You only have wifi in the lobbt and in your room the connection was very poor. Breakfast was very good. The room was simple but for a reasonable price for such location

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

Considering how much I paid for my 4 night stay here I was astounded at the state of the rooms when we arrived, it looked like a bedsit that was decorated in the 70s and had since been left to just fester. However when I opened the curtains to inspect the balcony I saw exactly what I was paying for; the view of Copacabana beach was absolutely incredible. I didn't spend much time in the room thankfully, other than to sleep and I had 4 fairly decent nights sleep so I can't really complain too much, although only twice out of these the bed was made and the towels changed which I found odd. Breakfast was fairly good, there was a bar/restaurant 2 doors down that done waffles and eggs Benedict and other yummy breakfasts so on our last day we had breakfast there instead but like I say there was nothing wrong with the breakfast in the hotel. The wifi was free and worked in the lobby only but that doesn't bother me I only used it to let my mum know I was okay of an evening so she could sleep at night.. Rio itself was an amazing experience, I loved every minute of exploring the city. We were there the week before the world cup and the atmosphere was amazing, there was some rioting about the world cup whilst we were there but it didn't effect us at all. The views from Sugar Loaf Mountain were fantastic, we got to the top just as the sun was starting to set and the view was just incredible. It goes without saying that you should visit Cristo Redentor whilst you are there and I recommend the rickety old train that takes you up there over a taxi or mini bus. We walked from Ipanema beach along to Copacabana and that was beautiful. To be honest I didn't spend to much time in the hotel, there's so much to do in Rio, the hotel was a fantastic location and the staff are very polite and helpful but I think the hotel is over priced for what it is. Iwould 100% reccomend going to Rio though, like any big city you have to be careful not to wander into the wrong part and I wouldn't walk around brandishing anything that is particularly valuable but don't let the things you hear on the news put you off of visiting this incredible city

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

I agree with the consensus of the previous reviewers. We stayed here during he World Cup, and the location truly could not have been better. The staff was very friendly and went above and beyond to get us on a city tour the day we arrived. The views from the hotel are very poor unless you are fortunate enough to get an ocean-front room. We, unfortunately, were not. Our view was of a back alley. The rooms are terribly dated and worn. The beds were passable, but the fixtures, furniture and bathroom are in desperate need of replacement or update. The breakfast was average at best, and the Wi-Fi nonexistent everywhere but the lobby. The price was expectedly jacked up during he World Cup, but I would never pay what we paid under normal circumstances. Still, the location was great and the hotel served the intended purpose.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
gerencialancaster, Gerente geral at Hotel Rio Lancaster, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear guest,

We regret that your stay was not satisfactory, and inform you that we are adapting our services so it doesn’t happen again.
On behalf of the hotel, we kindly ask our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

You can't fault the location, nor price of the hotel.
I was lucky enough to get an upgrade to a room at the front, with a great view of the Copacabana which made it more than worthwhile.
The room itself was a little run down, but clean.
The staff were really helpful, with tips and advice during my stay.
The breakfast was decent by Brazilian hotel standards although a little cramped in the dining room.
Would I stay there again? Not so sure.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Regards,

Been to Hotel Rio Lancaster? Share your experiences!