“Can't beat the beach location for the price!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Arpoador Inn

You added Arpoador Inn to your Saves list
Arpoador Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Francisco Otaviano, 177, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22080040, Brazil (Ipanema)   |
Ranked #61 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Senlis, France
“Can't beat the beach location for the price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

My family of four just spent three days at this hotel located right on the Ipanema Beach. Even though the decor was spartan, the rooms were roomy enough. We had connecting doors so it felt more like an apartment than a hotel. I requested an ocean view so both rooms had bay windows looking right out on the ocean. It is a plus that the breakfast buffet is included and in clement weather, you can enjoy it right outside on the beach. I found the staff accommodating and friendly, and the hotel within walking distance of good restaurants and shops. I would definitely return. The desk will tell you when you check out that there is a cash service charge for the staff- this is optional. They had written an amount down. My family was not against the idea of a tip for the staff but we gave less than the requested amount. The man behind the counter seemed happy with what we did leave (50 R$ as opposed to 136R$ requested).

Room Tip: I highly recommend ocean view rooms as I got a peek at the others and our side was definitely nicer...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Munich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is a horrible place to stay. The rooms are noisy, stinky, and without any charm. It has barely the same standards than a youth hostel in Europe...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

I've stayed at the Arpoador 4 times overdose the past few years. It's the only Rio hotel right on the beach, and it's great to watch the surfers and strollers. Plentiful breakfast included.

Room Tip: Be sure to book an Ocean view room
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
sacramento, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

If you just need a room in a good location, this average hotel will do -if you can get it at a bargain price. The room was simple, no frills, and beds were not so comfortable with one well-worn pillow. Since we spent very little time in our room which had a partial view of the beach, the room sufficed. The staff was helpful and hotel was ideally located on the beach. They served a breakfast buffet which was adequate. Whenever there was a fee, the hotel wanted cash not credit card so we ended up going to the ATM, a few blocks away. Upon checkout (our room was already prepaid), another hotel fee was added which was about $25 dollars ($40 Real) which we were told would be shared by hotel staff as a tip. This hotel is more of a run of the mill place which is satisfactory for your basic needs but is not the ideal "vacation" stay. On the plus side, the beach was right out of the hotel's back door which was located in the middle of Brazil's two famous beaches: Copacabana and Ipanema.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Bilthoven, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

The hotel is probably in the best spot of all the beaches in Rio (leblon, Ipanema, Copacabana, Leme), because it is the only hotel weher you do not have to cross the road. It is situated at the end of Ipanema beach and close to Copacabana beach, near the surfers hotspot.
The location is the major asset of the hotel. If you have a room with seaview, that asset is wworth it. The other rooms are pretty bad. Of our two rooms, one had seaviews and the other did not. We did not like the quality and the interior of any of the rooms, but the view made up for it in one of the two. The rooms are clean, but have no real "atmosphere".

Breakfast was very good downstairs in both the restaurant and outside.

This hotel would be great if the quality of the rooms would be better.

Room Tip: try to get a seaview room, the others are not very nice
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
New York City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My girlfriend and I were booked into the Arpoador Inn in Rio de Janeiro. Great location but a truly terribly run hotel. Not worthy of even two stars! The hotel is run-down, full of old furniture, in bad need of a complete renovation. I say this with the agreement of the front desk managers who felt sorry that what should be a 3-4 star experience is barely that of a hostel room with a view. The owner knows this and continues to trade on his location. He should be fined or put out of business but the magnificent location between Copa Cabana and Ipanema guarantees him the business he doesn't deserve. The US dollar does not buy as much as we'd like so look elsewhere. We left after two night and moved to the Hotel Santa Teresa which is amazing though it was robbed four nights after we left!

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you get a very, very cheap rate! Only rooms that are bearable have a sea...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

1)I made the booking for this hotel through Otel.com and prepaid for the six nights and got the confirmation from the Otel.com.
But when I arrived at the hotel on Marchc 13, 2011, I was told that there was no reservation for me. Fortunately for me at that timing, there was still a room available for me and I got the room by making again payment for the room.
I tried to contact Otel.com but Otel.com customer services is only available by tel located in the states (to call from Rio it costs much and on Sunday it does not work actually well) or web ( also always it took one day to get even meaningless reply).
I pushed the hotel also to investigate the matter, but in vain.
The reception staff just contact its reservation section located anywhere else and that was all.
I kept sending my request to put the matter in order to Otel.com.
2)Finally 2 days later my reservation was confirmed by the hotel, but to my surprise, I was told that I should move to downgraded room for the last night. I report this to Otel.com and finally on the last day I was told that I could stay in the same room as before.
3)As to the payment I made direct to the hotel, the hotel said at first that I should contact the Otel.com, but then it told me that it would return me the money. It means, I paid at the reception by credit card, but the payment would be made from the reservation section later to my card. I was told that I could get the evidence of the cancellation transaction but actually I got nothing. I requested many times but I was told just "No problem".
But so far no refund was made.
4)As to the customer care for the Otel.om regarding this refund, also awfully unsatisfacory.
Otel.com (actually Metglobe.com???) does not have any control over local agent or this hotel. So please avoid booking through Otel.com or Metglobe.
5)I keep requesting the refund of course now. I will continue it until I get it.
6)Hotel location is fantastic. I knew the location because I have been to Rio already many times. Ipanema is very nice place to walk around and also Leblon is easy accessible.
6)Ocean deluxe view (room 403) was nice.
At first I got 401 (Safe did not work and windows could not be closed well), then I saw 403(storing smell of smoking) and got 403. the Shape of each room was different but I think 403 was the widest and best (away from public corridor).
7)Some staff were friendly.
8)Breakfast was so so good and it was nice to have it open air just in front of the beach.
9)When I made checkout I was requested to pay 10 % service charges.
I think it was included in my prepaid amount and I said it.
Then the receptionist told me" You need not to pay 10 %. Please pay us what you want, but please in cash!."
I am really interested whether the hotel asks everybody this service charge.

The hotel it self was not bad if you got the ocean view deluxe room (last digit of the room number is 3) , but please do not make booking through Otel.com. You maybe loose a lot of money.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to Arpoador Inn? Share your experiences!