“Dreadful experience !” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Aeroporto Othon Travel

You added Aeroporto Othon Travel to your Saves list
Aeroporto Othon Travel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Beira Mar, 280 | Centro, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 20021060, Brazil   |
Ranked #171 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Sao Paulo, Brazil
“Dreadful experience !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Unfortunately the hotel was booked and paid by my client. Terrible is not enough to describe it.

It is old, it is literally falling apart. It is dirty, dreadful, the bed smells, the bathroom is so disgusting I was afraid of touching anything. There is dust and mold everywhere. I had to wear sandals to take a shower, because the floor was so moldy and dirty I was afraid to get a disease.

I ordered room service (there is no restaurant in the hotel or nearby - the room service choices are quite limited and unbelievably expensive). I ordered a cheeseburger and they said they did not have it. They offered me a "misto quente" (bread with ham and cheese) which costs R$ 28 !!!!

Then I decided to order a simple spaghetti with plain white sauce. They told me it would take one hour te get ready !!! I almost offered to go down and cook myself a decent meal, but I decided to wait... I received the most untastefull dish, with an industrialized sauce on top of a over-cooked pasta. Not enough, when finishing the dish I found an insect on it !

The service is terrible, the elevator makes you pray for your life. Checking-out was another problem. My client was supposed to take care of the bill, and the recepction would not have me to leave. I was supposed to leave earlier for a meeting. I asked the reception to call my client. They said they did it and nobody was answering the phone. So I left anyway. Later on, my client said nobody had called him. He was at his room working and the telephone did not ring once !

There is no free internet, you have to pay like R$ 25 to use it (I didn`t).

As already written, the AC is noisy and you can`t sleep. By the middle of the night, there was a huge noise of machines. There are no curtains and you are awaken at 5 AM by the sun.

Room Tip: To get a good room, please try to find another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Guarulhos, São Paulo, Brazil
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Disgusting doesn't even start to discribe it! It was awful, nasty, dingy. Worst night of my life! Look at the pics I posted.

It's stopped in time around the 1950's and had no maintenance since. The rooms smell funny, the bathroom is old and moldy, the noise of the AC and the minibar won't let you sleep AND THERE'S NO CURTAIN TO KEEP THE SUN AWAY!!!

On the night I was there - Sept 22nd, 2012 - there was no electricity and I had to climb 5 floors on my own, in the middle of the night. There was no AC and the room was smelly and stuffy. At 5am, when the sun came out the run was all lit up with light.
Still, the price is on the stratosphere.
The staff is too embarassed about the situation but can do nothing to help guests.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I stayed in this hotel during the carnival 2012. The staff there are fantastic can't fault them in ay way. From reception to house maids. At reception there wasn't anything they wouldn't help with. Giving directions, recommendations and even teaching us Portuguese.

Rooms need updating but clean. Air con noisy but def needed.

If you just want a clean place to crash with no frills this is it

Has no fitness room or pool. Wifi free in reception area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

I came here because a client recommended it. The room reeks of cigarette smoke, has old furniture and no desk to work. The door locks are falling off. The elevator is from the 19th century and does not work if the attendant is not there. I will have a chat with my client about recommending this dump, and will never stay here again. The only good thing is the view from the little balcony, which is impressive, and the reasonable prices in the minibar, but it does not have any sugar-free sodas.

Room Tip: Don't stay here in the first place. Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Indonesia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

This hotel really sucks. I should have believed the review saying that this hotel isn't at all recommended.

We booked from Agoda. I was wrong from the beginning when I saw the pictures in the website. Somehow the picture looked good, and I thought with the price of USD 105 per night it was worth staying. In fact this totally sucks. With many choices of hotels in Rio, I should have got better hotel with similar price.

This is really old hotel. When you enter the hotel you'll notice right away from the building, the floor, the furniture they're using. You even have to take step stair to go to the receptionist. Although only few stairs, it would never be easy for you who come with a big luggage, especially when the hotel staff are not always there to give you a hand. As for me I should carry the luggage all the way up to the receptionist desk.

Another surprise is the lift in the hotel. They have two lifts but only one can be operated. Even so, the only lift operated doesn't function well. It needs hotel staff to operate the lift. Never try to take a lift without lift attendant. I my self witnessed two guys was locked inside and were not able to get out the lift without the attendant helped them. It's horrible. I prefer to take step stair to go down and up to the room. Can you imagine if you stay at 8th floor, and you have to climb up to your room, it’s awful.

The room isn’t spacious. Once you enter the room, you will notice the smell from the old room and furniture right away. I spotted the dirt in the corner of the room as well as in the bathroom. The main lamp in the bathroom doesn’t work. Well there are still a lot to complain about this hotel, but I guess you better read other people’s review as well.

If Copacobana or Ipanema are your main destination, surely this hotel isn't the option. The location is a bit far from the main attractions.

The breakfast is good. The staffs are warm and helpful. I guess that are the only positive thing about the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Natal, RN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I go often to Rio de Janeiro for work reasons, in periods of one night to a week, and I'm used to be in the same known hotels. Last month instead I had to go to Rio for a week and there were no vacancies in these ones I known. The best option I had was in Aeroporto Othon Hotel, in the beggining of the Aterro do Flamengo that extends from the downtown to Flamengo beach. It's really in front of the Santos Dumont Airport and in the border of the downtown, just in the beggining of the Antonio Carlos Aven. Well, the location for work purposes is very good, just three blocks from a metro station. When I arrive at the hotel, I received a room in the first floor and didn't complained. The build is very old and I was informed that the last century metal-grid-door elevator needed always the presence of the operator, so it was more convenient to use the stairs. The room was nice even though not well conserved, with a small balcony where was possible to see the landscape, but the furniture, the dressing, towels, were clean but old in a state not suitable to an Othon hotel. The breakfast are served in a room at the level of the street and again the quality didn't honor the Othon group. The units of Copacabana are very comfortable and well located. Aeroporto Othon has a good location, not so paradisiac but I think it deserves be reformed to become a good hotel. Even with these small problems I could take advantage of the location with long walkings in the downtown (the city seems safer now than ever) including Catete e Glória, traditional and no touristic neighbors of borders. I hope they do a good restauration in this hotel but while it doesn't occurs I recommend it just in an emergency.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep a little more in the morning, 4th floor or more.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 6 nights, Internet was extra and horrendously expensive, for 1 day £10 or $16, that is 2 months of my internet budget in UK. I decided to leave after 1st day but forced to stay as they don't refund. Internet was getting cut off every 5 minutes and had to keep logging in, also can only be used from 1 system.
It's a run down property in dire need for repair, lift was operated by a person, but was always available so dint have an issue with that.
The beds were extremely bad, after 3 nights both of us had back pain.
Positives-
1-friendly and helpful staff
2-good view to cristo redentor n sugarloaf, I stayed at room 610
3-located near lapa (hardly 1km) which Has all night life, easy to get back
4-walking distance to metro, cinelandia station.
5-good breakfast, had variety

For the same price you can find accommodation in nearby ibis, they offer 1 hour free Internet in the lobby and it is much newer and cleaner.

• Stayed August 2011

Been to Aeroporto Othon Travel? Share your experiences!