“Great location for the Copacobana” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel

You added Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel to your Saves list
Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Atlantica 2964 - Copacabana | Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22070-000 , Brazil (Copacabana)   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #16 of 217 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Great location for the Copacobana”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Very welcoming staff, clean and spacious rooms, good quality food. The location is fantastic. I highly recommend using the hotels affiliated tourist company to explore Rio. It's a great way to see Christ the Redeemer and Sugarloaf Mountain- safely and jumping the queues. You can pay at reception, fantastic value for money!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel has a good standard but they do a party on the rooftop here every night since I'm here so you cannot use the roof top in the evening without paying! Even for hotel guests it's not free. Security guys standing in front of the door and when you want to take a friend inside the hotel they say no!
For that price I feel really angry about that. Especially when some strangers can come here to party and you as a hotel Guest cannot take friend here..

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Read a lot of reviews good and bad. We stayed here for 14 nights so if anyone experienced this hotel to the fullest it was us! Exceptional service. From the moment we walked in. Early check in and late check out without any extra fees. Anytime we needed anything they were very helpful and spoke relatively good English. The pool bar upstairs was a bit pricey but than again the million dollar view there is no better place to have a morning esspresso! Perfect location right in the middle of Copacabana. There's is probably cheaper hotels but there is a reason why. P.S. we went to Sofitel Hotel just down the strip and they don't have half the service nor the view while you're relaxing by the pool! Hope you book!

Room Tip: any floor is good. partial sea view is also worth while
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
pestana, General Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Mr. Jovica M,
Thank you for choosing Pestana Rio Atlantica and for the time dedicated to write this detailed review.
On behalf of our entire team I can assure you that there isn't more satisfying thing such as receiving complements as yours. Our main goal is provide Memorable Moments to our guests, and we know we accomplished our mission when we read your comments.
Thank you for your nice words, and we really hope to have you soon back to our beautiful city and to our hotel, so you can enjoy more relaxing days at our pool, looking at Copacabana Beach with an expresso in hands.
We stay available for whatever you need.
Fes, Morocco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed there for two nights. The hotel is very well located in Copacabana with nice and modern furnitures. I had a big room facing the beach with great amenities. The bathroom was big and I liked the products of the bathroom. The breakfast was perfect with fresh fruits, breads, nice omelettes, juices and the best thing was the view. We had all our breakfasts in the restaurant located on the top floor with view of Copacabana. A good way to start your day. I ordered a room-service dinner and the meal was delicious. Great cocktails also by the bar overlooking the pool. My only problem was the service! The girls at the desk were so cold. I found Brazilians very nice and welcoming except the girls at the desk. They do not provide change. They did not smile at all had an attitude. Nevertheless, Laura in charge of guests relations was very accommodating. Great wifi!

Room Tip: Room on higher floor facing Copacabana beach!
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The hotel infrastructure was nice, in line with what you'll see in other good hotels in Rio. The included mini bar is also a treat for the children. Nonetheless, we had a number of issues during a simple 3-day weekend. From more serious things like finding more than 10 pieces of broken glass around the pool (clearly from the parties they had around the pool every night) and having to wait hours (after countless requests) for a crib for our son, to minor things like not being able to get food service at the pool area before noon and not having enough towels in the room for the number of guests we reserved for. We had a list of over 10 problems we had in a 3-day stay. All in all, you definitely don't get the five star experience for the five star price you're paying.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
pestana, Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Mr. Marcelo B,
Thank you for choosing Pestana Rio for your quick stay in our beautiful city.
After reading your comments, I deeply apologize for the situations you faced once our guest.
We understand the seriousness about the pool situation and we assure that redoubled the treatment of pool after the parties.
We also would like to inform that we are under team retraining in order to improve our service.
It will be an honor to have you back to Pestana and have the opportunity to show our service improvement. Please contact our guest relations, Laura Juliá, at guest.rio@pestana.com, in case you return to our hotel, so we can take care of every detail of your stay.
We stay on your disposal for any further assistance you may need.
Operations Manager.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

After reading the reviews prior to going my expectations weren't terribly high, which is a good thing. The hotel decor in most areas is lovely and modern, but quite superficial and you can tell that it could do with some love for it to be a 5* hotel standard....

Ahead of my stay I asked the hotel if they arrange transfers, they said they had a deal with a taxi firm and they could book this for us at a cost of 300 real. This was THREE times more expensive than catching an official yellow cab at the airport, which cost is 100 real. Not sure what that was about....

First issue for me was the lack of a consistent concierge. We had to book things via reception as often the concierge wasn't there. So there was much confusion with bookings in general.

Also, as a hotel, you kind of expect people working there to have a good standard of English. This wasn't really the case and we did struggle to communicate. I'm happy to get out my phrase book but I would expect a 5* hotel to have staff that at least understand English being a hotel on the Copacabana, a highly touristy area!

The hotel turns into quite a trendy club as they have a rooftop bar and pool. So on Fridays and Saturdays you get questioned entering the hotel and each time we'd have to explain we were residents,not skipping the queue for the club! Same happened when we went up to the bar...

The rooftop pool and bar is lovely, gorgeous views. They could really do with staffing it up a bit more. You'd expect a bit more service when lying around the pool. Other hotels of 5* standard would have staff going round the beds asking if you wanted a drink etc. The poolside food is nice, and the cocktails are yummy.

My main disappointment with this hotel, which really really upset me, was their 'spa'. I booked myself in for what a thought would be an indulgent treat, a 70minute Amazonian body scrub with an 'invigorating' massage. At the equivalent of £50 it wasn't a cheap treatment but I thought I'd treat myself!

What following was an extremely amateurish process, no exfoliation, just a chalky body mask, which I then had to go and wash off (walking through the gym in a robe and this mask all over me, nice!) with a bar of soap. After this 'Amazonian exfoliation', I then suffered from the worst massage ever. My ten year old niece could do better, the masseuse obviously had no strength (or desire) to give a proper massage and clearly did not know how to do it properly. All the time, her phone was buzzing as she had left it on a vibrate setting, which was thoroughly annoying. And throughout the process, again, as she could not speak English, she chose not to talk to me at all, so all my instructions were via prodding and hand signals. I reluctantly paid 200 real for this, I couldn't even complain because she didn't speak English, and there was nobody else there!

On checking out I was asked about my stay and I was honest in saying everything was fine apart from the spa experience...reception were apologetic and made a note of it, they said the spa was an external company. No offer of a full or partial reimbursement. So money down the drain there....

In general, it's a good hotel, good location, good food and drinks...But come on guys, this is certainly no 5* hotel, maybe one day it was, but to my standards it has a long way to go!

I wouldn't advise people not to go, as it's fine and the location is really central. Plus it's very clean and the rooftop is really a plus. But just don't expect too much.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
pestana, Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Andrea L,
Thank you for choosing Pestana Rio Atlantica and for the time took to write your detailed feedback to us.
Your feedback is extremely valuable to us, once we are starting a restructuring on our services and people with a new administration.
We are studying the areas where improvements are most needed and be sure that, after your feedback, the SPA service will be revaluated.
During this process of changes, we will reinforce the trainings with all our team in order to improve the service offered.
We hope to receive you back to Pestana Rio and to have the opportunity to offer you the service you expected to find.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I had a suite specifically for the tub they have in the room. One night the water shut off for a few hours and than took three hours to get hot water. Took staff three hours to get up to my room to even check on the problem. Another night two electrical outlets went out and after calling down to send someone up 45 minute later I had to go to the lobby to see why no one was sent up yet. On multiple occasions we called the front desk to get more towels and most of the week we would have to go downstairs to get them ourselves. The water in the hot tub is brown and not very hot at all. The pool was nice and well kept. Overall I was very dissatisfied with the staff and customer service. If my job did not pay for me to stay in this hotel I would never be back.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Tonymartinmma,
Thank you for your feedback about your stay in our hotel.
All mentioned points are being analyzed to theirs immediate solution. We are currently restructuring our team and the focus of this new management phase of the Hotel Pestana Rio Atlantica will be more training to improve product quality standards we deliver to our customers.
Thank you one more time for sharing your feedback with us. We hope to receive back to Pestana Rio and have the opportunity to offer you a improved service.
Operations Manager

Been to Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel? Share your experiences!