This review is based on our visit in March 2011. A truly iconic hotel that exudes elegance and great service. Must be one of the most famous in the world. Our room at the front of the hotel and overlooking Avenida Atlantica and Copacabana beach was perfect. Spacious, tastefully decorated and a very comfortable well appointed bathroom, it was a delight.
Breakfast is served in the Pergula Restaurant which also has tables adjacent to the pool. A la carte or buffet, take your choice. We went for the buffet, which had an excellent variety of fruits, cold meats breads etc.
The pool is probably the most famous in Rio too and certainly before the massive refurb of the hotel and slight reduction in the size of the pool undertaken by Orient Express when they acquired it, was the largest in Rio. Service and food at the Cipriani restaurant was perfect too. Pre dinner drinks at the piano bar were a perfect end to the day and a great start to the evening.
Hotel accommodation is split into two, the main hotel building and the annex, accessed via the pool area and comprising of a series of suites, about sixteen I think. All the ones at the front have their own balconies overlooking the pool and towards the beach.
If there's a downside to the hotel, it's the location. Copacabana is not the best surburb of Rio, even if it is the most famous. But run down and a little seedy in places, this should not deter you from staying at this great hotel. One that has enjoyed famous guests from around the world over the past decades. From Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby to Prince Charles and Lady Di. If you don't believe me, visit the Copa's gallery on the second floor and look at the photos of all their famous past guests!! Even John Wayne hitched his horse up at the Copa!!
Would I stay here again? You bet!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An elegant hotel located alongside the beach, convenient to business & entertainment districts. Copacabana Palace has a great variety of accommodation with a majority of suites, which have recently been re-designed and given a new lease of life with new fabrics and furniture. The hotel has a marvellous Semi-Olympic Size Pool, one Tennis Court, a modern Fitness Centre, a three-floor Spa and a new Lounge Bar 'Bar do Copa' open from Wed to Sat with a selection of DJs playing each night. The Hotel Cipriani Restaurant is the hotel's gastronomic flagship, a sophisticated Italian restaurant serving classics and innovative dishes from the restaurant’s namesake in Venice. The Pergula Restaurant serves Brazilian Buffet breakfast, lunch buffet and dinner a la carte by the pool. Copacabana Palace offers you a great and unique experience in the heart of Rio de Janeiro. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orient Express, Booking.com, Orbitz, Splendia, Hotels.com, Tingo, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Belmond Copacabana Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Copacabana Palace By Orient-Express Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- Copacabana Palace Rio De Janeiro
- Copacabana Palace Hotel
- Belmond Copacabana Palace Rio De Janeiro, Brazil