“Great Hotel, shame about the noisy generator” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Hotel Barra Rio de Janeiro

You added Radisson Hotel Barra Rio de Janeiro to your Saves list
Radisson Hotel Barra Rio de Janeiro
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Lucio Costa, 3150 | Barra da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22630-010, Brazil (Barra da Tijuca)   |
Ranked #50 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Chester, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, shame about the noisy generator”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed in the hotel 6 nights on business. Check in was fine staff were polite and helpful. The room was great with a lovely view of the beach could hear the ocean. Did not use the pool very much but no issues, gym was clean with a good range of equipment. The beach was just across the road from the hotel and staff were there to give out towels, seat and brolly. Beach was a lot quieter than the likes of Copacabana not private but you do not get pestered too much.
Breakfast was included in our rate and was plentiful and tasty.

Overall a good stay apart from the almost constant noise from a generator on top of the hotel. At first we thought it was building works and after the third night it did start to get annoying if you wanted to sit out on the balcony. I can only hope it was a temporary thing because it spoils what should be a really nice hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view of the beach
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
PMello_ShBarra, On behalf of General Manager at Radisson Hotel Barra Rio de Janeiro, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Barra during your business travel to Rio de Janeiro. It’s good to know that you had pleasant moments at our hotel. We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience that the generator’s noise may have caused you during your stay. The problem was already fixed. It was a temporary issue. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel.

The Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We were so excited to end our time in Brazil at this hotel which claims to be one of the premier beach resorts in Rio. First, you must know that this hotel is off the beaten path in the city of Rio de Janeiro. There isn't much surrounding the hotel except for m=some restaurants and other hotels and apartment complexes. While our room was very nicely furnished and comfortable, with a great balcony and sitting area, the bathroom could use some serious updating.

Beach access is very easy and I arrive at around 10:00 A.M. and was given a chair, umbrella and towel right away. A very enjoyable day at the beach as long as you ignore the constant vendors but it's not a private beach so they are expected.

The pool is very big and very nice with 2 hot tubs although one was out of order while I was there. The Sheraton employs two lifeguards but I'm not really sure what their purpose was. Kids were constantly running (which had me panicking as I'm a lifeguard myself) in slippery areas. They were jumping in and out of the hot tub despite the sign that says "No one under the age of 16 permitted" so relaxing in the hot tub with a book without getting splashed was out of the question. The lifeguards just standby and watch so maybe they're just their for insurance purposes.

I was thrilled at the discovery of the health club which includes a whirlpool, sauna, steam room and showers but unfortunately, there's so much mildew in the steam room that the stench permeates throughout the rest of the facility. Showers have the same issue so I didn't really feel clean.

I had one incident at the pool where I ordered food and tried to charge it to the room. The waiter claimed my room didn't exist. It was very strange and almost like he was trying to accuse me of stealing but luckily I had my credit card on me and just paid for it on the spot.

The restaurant is buffet style and had a decent selection. The menu in the room is misleading as it claims the restaurant is ala cart. Wait staff is attentive to the point of hovering/annoying.

I wanted to love this hotel. It had so many great things about it but I gave it such a poor rating because the traits that are most important to me, cleanliness, peace and tranquility, were not met.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
PMello_ShBarra, On behalf of General Manager at Radisson Hotel Barra Rio de Janeiro, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sending us such a detailed review from our hotel. It’s really sad that our cleanliness service didn’t meet your expectations. We’ll be sharing with the Managers of the mentioned areas so that we can improve our service, especially in the Health Club area. Thank you for letting us know your opinion about our hotel. We hope to see you back soon.

The Management.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel doesn't live up to its name in the states, the rooms were dirty and moldy, the service was bad, my room had the bar broken, the ar conditioning not functioning well.

Breakfast was horrible, endless lines not very good options. The croasant was tasting old.

Do not recommend at all

• Stayed February 2012
PMello_ShBarra, On behalf of General Manager at Radisson Hotel Barra Rio de Janeiro, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Barra Hotel for your recent visit to Rio de Janeiro. We are deeply sorry for the fact that our services didn’t meet your expectation. We’ll take your comments into consideration in order to improve the service in the mentioned areas. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Sao Paulo, Brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Rio is one of the most beautiful cities we have the pleasure to visit. The Sheraton Barra is a nice place to go specially with you have a car. The beach is across the street and the room is very good. The Hotel staff is very nice and we love the pool area and the breakfast. We love Rio...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Went there 3 years in a row with my family to the Christmas. The Staff is very kind and helpful (maybe because we are "habitué" in that place). BUT this time I was so horrified about the bad maintenance in the whole place that I came to tripadvisor and for my surprise a lot of people were complaining (for years! ) the very same things that I noticed !

First we got a room in the 5th floor and it was unbreathable because the mould smell was even in the bed (the air conditioner was broken and there was nobody to fix it) . They transferred us to the 9th floor and then "surprise" ! This time the other problem was a TV that even doesn't turn on (really broken!). There wasn´t even the "welcome watter bottle" in our room , like any other room (my parents were there and they had it).

This was not a problem only with me. Not an "unlucky guy" or "bad lucky time" or "this day our air conditioner (or other system) were in maintenance " , THIS KIND OF TROUBLES ARE HAPPENING FOR YEARS AND NOBODY CARES ABOUT !!!

As a proff of what I´m talking about, I´m uploading a photo of a PAINTING ( in the room ) with mould !!! ( not formed at that very only day, for sure)

Even the Christmas dinner this year was noisy , crowded , and the food "so so".

THIS HAPPENS JUS BECAUSE PEOPLE IS STILL PAYING TO GO THERE AND A LOT (I MEAN A REALLY *LOT*) OF PEOPLE DOESN´T COME TO TRIPADVISOR AND WRITE A REVIEW !

To resume: * * If you like your self , your family , your money and your time , JUST DONT GO THERE ! Its better to stay at home sleeping ! * *

Ps: Please Sheraton-Barra managers save your self energy and dont even give me a "control c + control v " answer , even this is repulsive !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Nice, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We went into this hotel escaping from the miserable Royalty Barra so anything after that came as a relief. The reception area is lively and the staff very helpful. On the Club level you have access to free coffee, beverages and snacks throughout the day. The rooms themselves all had sea views although they are in need of some renovation. My only real complaint was the size of the bathrooms which did not leave space for two people simultaneously. In other words, tiny even on the club level. The beach towels and chairs are given to you on the beach which was very practical unlike at the Royalty Barra where you had to carry them with you from the hotel, cross the road to the beach and then return them. The gym was reasonably big with a greater variety of instruments than most hotels in Rio. Breakfast was varied and again, in contrast to Royalty Barra, was fresh every day. All in all it was a pleasant stay although the rooms in need of some renovations.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea view but choose a high floor to reduce the noise from the street.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel is located in Barra, an upscale neighborhood in Rio (similar to Copacabana), but not built for tourism. It is located close to an important business district. The hotel is well maintained, and the staff is very friendly. The executive lounge has a great view of the ocean, and is staffed by professionals.

The room itself was good. Furniture and carpeting is starting to show a little age, but it is also very clean.

Around the hotel there are only a couple of restaurants and a beach broadwalk to go running (several miles long). But all the rest of the tourist attractions are half an hour away.

Room Tip: Of course, a high room with an ocean view would be a big plus.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Radisson Hotel Barra Rio de Janeiro? Share your experiences!