As this was the last hotel on our South American trip, we decided to splash out on a room with a view. After reading the great reviews and looking at the fabulous views from the rooms we opted for the Porto Bay and we were not disappointed.
We had booked direct with the hotel as the the prepaid rates were as good as I could find anywhere on the web. I had been expecting my credit card to be charged immediately on booking, however after I spoke to them, they confirmed the charge would be made 1 week before arrival. As luck would have it, the credit card was stolen in Argentina and had to be cancelled. I informed the hotel of this and they very kindly said they would wait for payment until I checked in. We felt this was excellent customer service, especially given the upset of the theft.
We had arranged collection from the airport, and our driver was there waiting for us and we had a very comfortable ride through the Rio suburbs, that took about an hour.
On arrival we received a complimentary glass of champagne whilst we checked in and were taken to our room on the 15th floor. Unfortunately we had a picture window rather than the requested balcony, but after a quick phone call to reception, the porter returned with keys to a different room. The room was superb, big and spacious, with everything you would expect in top quality hotel and a balcony overlooking Copacabana Beach. A daily news sheet was delivered to your door, with news headlines from your own country – nice touch. There is a pool on the roof top, with complimentary towels & sun beds.
Breakfast was served on the 5th floor overlooking the beach. Service was superb as was the choice – you would be hard pressed to not find something to eat here.
The staff were exceptionally helpful, with regards to public transport and tours, but due to the location, it is easy to get to all the key sights on your own. A 10 minute walk to the subway gets you downtown in 20 minutes and the buses run from 2 streets behind the hotel and you can be at Sugar Loaf Mountain in 15 minutes. There are plenty of restaurant within a few minutes walk of the hotel.
The only negative is the cost of WiFi, but the signal was strong in the room and all the public areas. Finally on check out our 'extras' bill was correct and the pre booked taxi back to the airport arrived at the time we requested.
There are cheaper hotels in Rio, but if you are looking for excellent quality with great location and service, then we can recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Right on Copacabana beach in the spectacular city of Rio de Janeiro, Porto Bay Rio Internacional offers you the best of two worlds – the sensational city and a breathtaking view over the beach right on the doorstep... Step into Rio Internacional and feel at home - make the most of your stay! Look out over Copacabana beach and revitalise yourself with the sea breeze. The ideal location for an unforgettable holiday or to counter the stress of a day's work in Rio ... 117 apartments/rooms decorated in the best taste... a range of flavours at La Finestra and a roof-top pool with stunning views over Copacabana beach and Corcovado... The hotel Porto Bay Rio Internacional offers free Wi-Fi throughout the whole hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hotel.de, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rio Internacional Hotel
- Hotel Porto Bay Rio Internacional
- Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel Rio De Janeiro, Brazil