“Great location, but a poor hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel

Save Saved
You added Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel to your Saves list
Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Atlantica 1500, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22021, Brazil (Copacabana)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 210 hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Elberta, Alabama
“Great location, but a poor hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Staff was very nice. We stayed in an ocean side suite with small balcony. This hotel is starting to show it's age. One window in the room wouldn't close all the way because of a busted hinge and allowed lots of street noise into the room, asked for a different room and was told they could put me on the back of the hotel (not happening). The veiw was very nice and loved having the balcony for people watching, we were in room 701.

Probably the worst thing about the room was the bed. It was as hard as a rock, I've never felt anything like this in what is suppose to be a quality hotel. Both my wife and I sleep on our sides and woke up every morning with our hips hurting and in my case from broken ribs from an old war injury (ok, I fell off a bike), they were painful for days afterwards. As I told you, they could put me in the back of the building for a change of rooms.

The second worst thing about the room was the showers, not ours the neighbors. Their bathroom was right along side the entrance into the room. When they turned on their showers it sounded like someone was discharging a fire extinguisher inside of our room. This is not an exaggeration, there is no way anybody will sleep in room 701 when room 703 (I'm guesing about the number) runs a shower.

The food was awful, I mean so awful, that though we paid for the breakfast, after the first time, we only used it for getting coffee. We were there for 4 days and sat down in the restaurant for day 1. We also did the dinner buffet, on day 1, couldn't figure out why at 8:00pm there were only 4 people in the place and then we ate the food, or started to eat the food, then we understood.

The only reason we stayed here is the Copacabana was under construction and this was the highest rated hotel left. Location is wonderful, the beach fantastic. People watching great. The balcony even with traffic noise was very nice for eveing drinks, so I gave it two stars, but if you can't eat or sleep well??????

Room Tip: I don't know if all the oceanside suites are like 701, but I would imagine so. So if you're...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel, we would like to thank you for the information regarding our services during your stay. We sincerely apologize for not having met your expectations.

All criticisms are taken constructively, as they are a valuable path to helps us get our services better.

We hope to welcome you again in the future and have the opportunity to make this next stay a more pleasant one.

Yours faithfully,

1,291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This hotel whilst ideal located for beach had some strange ways that make this one I can't recommend. Breakfast finishing at 10am, and I mean sharpe, you were locked out or hassled out and when you are on holiday and arrive a 2am in the morning this does not work...

Our room given we ordered a better room was a little tired but the view was great.

Also whilst tea was supplied no milk or sachets so next to useless.

We also chose this hotel as it had WiFi, that was a joke, less than 0.23 megs so basically useless and given they charge again this was not acceptable and was a primary factor in choosing the hotel. This therefore completely cocked-up my plans and need to get some important work done so if you need any form of Internet access this is not the hotel for you regardless of the advertising. I spend several hundred pounds on data roaming charges so all in all a really expensive bad value hotel...

Lastly whilst the breakfast buffet was impressive food at other times was sub-standard, we both left our food cooked on the top floor by the pool.

If back in Rio would I book this hotel or make an effort to find another, sadly I boom another on the basis I did not feel it was worth the price and it was an awkward experience which is the opposite of what I should be...

Room Tip: I think if we ordered and paid a lot of money for a better room and were mildly unhappy you have no...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing our as your accommodation choice during your recent stay Rio and for taking the time to complete your review.

Your remarks have been carefully noted and we can assure you that the necessary steps have been taken to consider improvement in those aspects in the future. We are happy to inform you that the internet ins no longer charged at the hotel, because of feedback as yours.

Yours faithfully,
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This hotel is a dream come true from the moment you walk in to the moment you leave, great room, size and service, great breakfast the view is amazing. also the view from the room and the pool is amazing.
staff can guess all your needs and plan your day to the best. if you have the opportunity to stay here do no look any more.

Room Tip: Take the HStern trip.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
PortobayRI, Gerente de relações públicas at Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
We are really happy that your overall impression about the hotel was excellent, so we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again soon.
Thank you once more, for your choosing Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel.
Edinburgh, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a comfortable and clean, modern hotel, right across the road from Copacabana beach.

Our room was at the back of the hotel, on the 7th floor, but the balcony was at the side and we had great views over the adjacent buildings right along Copacabana (so ask for a room on one of the top floors to make sure of a good view). The room was very large, spacious and clean.

Hotel facilities include the rooftop pool and spa; free loungers, towels and sunshades on the beach; wifi; restaurant; and bar. The bar is expensive, but has a happy hour each evening.

Staff were friendly and helpful, and most spoke good English.

The breakfast buffet is excellent, with a wide range of cold foods plus some hot (scrambled eggs, bacon, frankfurter sausages), and fresh omelettes can be ordered.

The location is great, not only for the beach, but also for restaurants, bars and shops. There are some grocery shops in the next street parallel to the beach where you can buy bottled water (or beer, if that's your preference!) at a good price.

If we return to Rio, we'd certainly consider going back to the Porto Bay - it has all we need.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors all have good views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Luciana M, Guest Relations at Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
I would like to thank you for choosing Porto Bay as your accomodation choice during your recent stay in Rio and for taking the time to complete your review.We are pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel. If you require any special assistance during your next stay, please do not hesite to contact us.
The Management
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Friends and I stayed here as part of a tour of South America. Where to start? I had not expected to enjoy Rio--to find that it is such a gorgeous vibrant wealthy city was a revelation! Unlike Peru, English-speakers are rare but everyone was so friendly and helpful--even police when, on our own, a friend and I got lost--lots of hand gestures got us through. After a very long day of 3 flights from La Paz, we were welcomed at this good hotel with efficient check-in and a welcome drink. And I must add that after almost two weeks of being at high altitude we were all glad to be back at sea-level! All of our rooms--clean, comfortable--had balconies overlooking Copacabana. The breakfast buffet was the best we had--our month long tour included 13 hotels in 5 countries. The variety and quality of the fruit was outstanding--and we all appreciated the signage as we didn't recognize many of the fruit. All the staff we encountered were friendly and efficient. Others in the tour enjoyed the roof top pool and bar menu. Easy access from the front of the hotel to the beach--the hotel provided on-beach service for towels, lounges, umbrellas. After being ill while in the Andes, I particularly enjoyed relaxing on this beach--after reading multiple guides, I had worried that the beach would be populated by only "beautiful people" but while they were there, there were also just average people so I did not feel out of place all covered up under my umbrella! The stream of vendors for cold drinks, bikinis, jewelry was fun. We also enjoyed exploring the area on the other side of the hotel--we did not find it seedy at all--convenient grocery stores and pharmacies, great bread shops, and all of us women in the tour had a great afternoon at a nearby salon having manicures and pedicures. The only comment I could make about the hotel was the signage--poor lighting around the floor elevator areas meant that we missed the sign about one elevator being for staff only--we got quite lost and were reprimanded when we finally found our way out to the lobby!

Room Tip: While all rooms appear to have views to Copacabana Beach, the higher up rooms have better views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
In the name of all our staff I would like to express our gratitude for your comments at Trip Advisor.They are really rewarding because exactly describes the objectives and passion we all share at Porto Bay Group. We all hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon!
The Management
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

So it's Copacabana not Ipanema, it's not the trendiest, nor the the most luxurious but it is a very efficient, very comfortable hotel. We were upgraded to a suite on arrival so the room was bigger than expected with a view over the beach. Breakfast was great, staff friendly and there's a gym and nice pool on the roof for a dawn/dusk dip because you really need to get down to that beach! The hotel has it's own 'beach club' with it's own free loungers and umbrellas directly opposite the hotel. Able to access wifi for free through business centre and in public areas. The best compliment I could pay is that if I'm ever lucky enough to be back in Rio I'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our services, it is pleasing to receive such comments as yours and to know we are caring for our guest properly. We are happy to know you enjoy our breakfast buffet and our facilities, such as the beach service and free internet. We all look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Rio.

Sincerely Grateful,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I just came back from a long weekend here, and we were pleased with our choice and the value at the hotel. We enjoyed the rooftop pool, the restaraunt and the bar. We foudn the staff was experienced and friendly.

Room Tip: The corner rooms which are ocean view are a good value. They do not have a balcony, but the views ar...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel as your accommodation choice and for your positive comments about our friendly staff, restaurant and pool area.
We all hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon!

Warm Regards from Porto Bay!
Front Office Manager

Been to Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel? Share your experiences!