“As per expected: Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza

You added Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza to your Saves list
Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Farme de Amoedo, 34, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22420-020, Brazil (Formerly Ipanema Plaza Hotel)   |
Ranked #124 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Villars-sur-Ollon, Switzerland
“As per expected: Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I guess it all depends on you: How does the "Golden Tulip" brand resonate with you? For me, after visiting several of them, I knew what to expect: Nothing special, a rather Dutch casual attitude to customer service.
The Ipanema Plaza is no exception to the rule. As +, it has:
- A great location (Ipanema and 100 meters from the beach)
- A Very good restaurant
- A very decent value for money offer
The - are:
- Decent and needing a refreshment rooms
- Painfully slow check-in and out (the only clerc was also answering outgoing and ingoing calls in the morning at 9am)
- An remarkably unpersonal and causal attitude to customers delight (something the Dutch hotel schools have obviously not yet heard about;)
I would advise if you look for a value for money stay in an ideal sport of Rio and if you are not too demanding regarding the hotel.
I will get back there with measured level of expectations.
I hope this helps

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Iplaza, Gerente at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, we'd like to thank you for expressing your opinion with the other guests.

Good to know that, in general, you liked your stay with us. The hotel will be undergoing renovations in its rooms and in the quality of our services. We are working hard on it.

Hope to have the opportunity to impress you in the next visit to Rio.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Greek first
West Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

This trip was a short business trip. The staff were absolutely excellent. Firstly the front desk staff apologised that my room would not be ready although I was two hours in front of the normal check in time of 15.00hrs. I asked if another room was available following arrival overnight from London on the plane via Sao Paulo and being extremely tired. To my pleasant surprise I was given an upgraded room, exceeding my customer expectations. However if this was an upgraded room, I wasn't overly impressed. The room was functional at best, bed very comfortable but shower on one occasion was running brown water! Although this did clear quickly, but it did worry me.

The bar was small but friendly and the breakfast/restaurant was basic but food ok.

Finally I checked out on time but enquired if I could use a shower later before flying home. This was readily available at the pool area, however I requested after the pool was closed so they kindly allowed me to use a room to shower in. This was greatly appreciated. I cannot praise the front desk team enough.

Overall verdict a good team of caring staff but the hotel could do with a make over in the rooms based on my experience. However some rooms on the website look very nice.

Overall, yes I would probably go back.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinion about the Ipanema Plaza Hotel.

We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are awere that the hotel needs reforms and it will so in the medium term.

Hope to have you for the next time in Rio.

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

After reading many of the reviews, I wasn't sure I was staying in the same hotel. We - two adults and a 13-year-old - arrived and got a great reception at the desk. The clerk took one look at our nearly 6-foot-tall son and upgraded our room to a queen bed and extra bed (from two doubles). The concierge/baggage handlers were all friendly. The room was very clean the three days we stayed. The breakfast buffet wasn't what I would call luxurious, but there was a lot of choice. The location is indeed the draw: half-block from the beach and several cafes and restaurants/bars very close by, in addition to a main shopping street. Biggest drawback was slow internet/wireless network, but that is a Brazil problem in general, not limited to this hotel. To sum up, I would recommend for couples and families wanting to be close to the beach, not for business if you need to work online. Enough of the staff knew English that we could communicate well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Iplaza, Gerente at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinion about the Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza Hotel.

We are pleased to note that you have enjoyed your stay and looking forward to receive you here again soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Great location but the hotel feels tired and neglected. Front desk staff rude and indifferent. Rooms are large but very ordinary. Pool is great disappointment. Small and lacks seating areas. The area is also not cleaned properly.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear guest,

First of all, thank you for sharing your opinion.

We believe that our hotel should be the extension of your home and problems such the ones you mentioned are not supposed to occur. The bad service is not part of our routine and we are in constant training with our team. We would also like to inform you that our hotel will undergo to significant reforms.

We would appreciate to have the chance to change your opinion in the near future

Aberdeen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The location of this hotel is good being close to Ipanema beach with various bars and restaurants in the vicinity. Having visited Rio many times I have not yet found what I would call a good hotel. Standards are generally low compared to other locations around the world and central Rio hotels seem to trade on their location and don't try very hard to justify their cost and this is another one. Room small, tired, fairly clean but quite basic. Feels like a run down apartment building. Breakfast limited and uninspired. Did not try dinner here but plenty of good places nearby. Service was un-enthusiastic. I will continue to try to find a good hotel in Rio and am unlikely to return to this one.

Room Tip: Some rooms have views others do not. Recommend trying to get one with a view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Iplaza, Gerente at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinions with other guests of this website.

The hotel is located in a very valued city area and our rates are consistent with the other hotels in Ipanema. We have various categories of rooms, many of them much larger and better view.

We will go through structural reforms and services to better serve our guests. We hope to do better in next time.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

A great view from the rooftop pool. Nice enough staff, but they seem very overwhelmed. But frankly, I felt it was a little dirty. When I got in (which was a saturday night in Rio) there was a mystery stain on the mirror in the elevator. The next day it was gone, but... When the elevator doors opened to my floor the door to the right was broken, dirty and hanging ajar. Very creepy. And I got no wifi service (which is not password protected) in my room. I switched the next day.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Iplaza, Gerente at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your opinion about the Hotel. Ipanema Plaza is really in the heart of Rio de Janeiro, near Ipanema’s beach and the bests bars in the City.

However, we noticed that you had some inconveniences and we apologize for that bad impression you may had.

Management
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

As you can read from other reviews, the general hotel standards and star ratings from most of the world do not apply to Rio De Janeiro. In most places this hotel would be 2 to 3 star rating. There are some positive aspects, but I would probably not stay here again.

PROS:
-Location. This is a fantastic location in Ipanema Beach. The water is visible from some of the rooms and it's a 2 minute walk from the lobby. The area felt very safe even at night. There are plenty of restaurants and juice bars within walking distance.
-View. The view from the rooftop pool was very nice with the beach on one side and Corcovado and the mountains on the other side.
-Breakfast was decent.

CONS:
-Price. Very expensive for what you get.
-Rooms. The quality of the rooms was not up to my expectations. They need some major remodeling. The bathroom door had some dry rot and some mildew. There are no carpets on the floor, so walking barefoot in the room is not ideal. The floors were not very clean.
-Bed. Very hard. No cushion.
-Wifi. Very poor reception in the room. Had to put the laptop close to the door to get signal. I'm sure this varies by room location.

General Observations: I would definitely stay in Ipanema Beach again. Rio was a great city. I think the reputation of being unsafe is not merited. We felt very safe walking around Ipanema and Copacabana, even the inside streets. As with travel anywhere in the world, same precautions apply.

The food was fantastic. Definitely try some of the local flavor. Also try the juice shops on most street corners.

I would not rent a car, as cabs are plentiful, safe and inexpensive. It cost between $5-10 for most trips.

I would visit Shopping Leblon if you can. It is a high end shopping mall that is great for interacting with people away from the tourist areas. I would highly recommend Rascal Restaurant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Iplaza, Gerente at Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear guest,

The Ipanema Plaza Hotel is in a great location in the city, close to the beaches and several restaurants. The daily rates are compatible with the location and other hotels in Ipanema.

Our wi-fi service is free all guests and goes through a process of reformulation.

In order to improve our services, your opinion was very important to us.

Best regards,

Been to Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza? Share your experiences!