“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Atlantica Hotel

You added Windsor Atlantica Hotel to your Saves list
Windsor Atlantica Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Atlantica 1020, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22010-000, Brazil (Copacabana)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #3 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Calpe, Spain
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Lovely hotel and friendly staff unfortunately the extras, broadband, laundry etc. are very expensive. The bar was a poorly lit, very stark but the staff were very friendly and helpful. Great views from the restaurant as well a great choice at all meal times.

Room Tip: Try and get one away from the lift shafts as this can be quite noisy.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas,TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

On a recent vacation to Rio my husband and I stayed at the Windsor Atlantica. When choosing a hotel I looked at all the Windsor properties and several others. After arriving and seeing the location of the other Windsor properties I was glad I chose the Atlantica. The property is right on the beach and has great views from all sides of this hotel. We were in room 3501 and could see the Christ statue as well as Copacabana beach and Atlantica Avenue. The hotel offered great amenities and the service was great. Breakfast that was provided was fantastic. They had numerous hot options along with an omelette and waffle station.

There are many great restuarants on the beach side of the hotel and behind the hotel you can find grocery stores nearby and local food options.

Copacabana is a very long beach. This hotel is loctaed right on the edge of Leme and Copacabana beach. We noticed more things were happening more in the center of the beach and this end was very quiet.

Room Tip: If possible get a higher floor to take advantage of all the great views.
Freiburg i. Br.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The fun thing is the view during breakfast.
Breakfast itself is alright, too.
As is the entire hotel.
Friendly service, a rather large room, clean too. Only the AC fan cannot be adjusted.
The hotel overlooks the Copacabana beach and even the view from rooms on the side is quite impressive.
The restaurant is somewhat on the expensive side, but very close on the beach road there are several good restaurants.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Brooklyn NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I am a travel agent in US. This was the first trip to Rio for me and my wife, but i been to many places and hotels. I narrowed down and was carefully deciding between Copacabana Palace and Windsor Atlantica. I ended up choosing this hotel for three reasons based on the feedback from the people on tripadvisor.com Here is the scoop on this hotel.

I wanted a more modern decor, a good breakfast, and i liked the various package options offered by the hotel. Though you can look for pricing through various sites, i got the best deal just by visiting the windsor's home site. They had 2 promotions that weren't available anywhere else and best one ended up the romantic package. You get 90 min worth of spa service free.

Spa was good, though the two services we have chosen did not add to 90 min and infact non of them do, but it was still great to get R$290 worth of service per person at no charge. The treatments were great. The only slight issue we had is that my wife wanted to purchase a facial treatment and the lady said that they ran out of the exfoliation creams they use. For such a hotel, they should not be running out of anything.

The breakfast is trully amazing. Fresh squeezed juices (4 options - mango, watermelon, pineapple, and orange juice). there is many, many different fruits. Eggs and omelets made to order, and plenty of other things. All i can say that if you like to eat, you will eave happy.

And the Arrollo Italian restaurant is even better. We went there for one dinner after we visited other establishments near by per recommendations (Sophie's and Arab). I can tell you right now, if I would have known, we would have dined here every night. Plenty of options and simply good. Ok, one slight issue here. I love Cream de Papaya and though its not on the menu they are offering it, but its not that good. They need more ice cream in it.

Checkin service by the way was good, slightly slow. Checkout did take longer, but it was very busy at that time.

The room is nice, clean with a great view. The bed is very good. The ceiling is a bit low for my taste. The only other issue is that they have marble in the showers. They need a rubber mat or something because its easy to slip.

Overall, we definitely loved our stay here and would be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RicardoKawa, General Manager at Windsor Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review!
We are all very proud to know that you loved your stay with us and we sincerely hope to welcome you back in our Windsor Atlantica!
I am sorry that we were out of exfoliation creams at the time of your visit. They are really very good!
Please send me your directions to rkawa@windsorhoteis.com.br and I will be pleased to send one to your wife.
Wishing you all the best in 2013,

Ricardo Kawa
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I am not one to complain about hotels, but my experience here ruined much of my time in Rio. The room did not have working A/C, the service was pathetic (asked for towels, an ironing board, both of which took over an hour to arrive on separate occasions), and the rooms were not even nice. I am not sure how this ranks so high on TripAdvisor as a 4/5 star hotel, but it is far from that. The only decent thing about the hotel was the breakfast. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is I would look elsewhere if you are heading to Rio.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RicardoKawa, General Manager at Windsor Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing us in Rio and I greatly appreciate your feedback.
We are very proud of our ranking on Tripadvisor, which bases our position on guest service, value and experience, and less on opulence.
In your case, it seems we failed to meet your expectations and we do apologize for that.
I really appreciate to receive more information about your stay. Please feel free to contact me at rkawa@windsorhoteis.com.br
Wishing you all the best in 2013,

Ricardo Kawa
Campinas, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Windsor chain of hotels has easily become my favorite in Rio de Janeiro. Their workers are usually very courteous and they offer confortable rooms at reasonable prices.
However the cost part doesn't hold so true with the Windsor Atlântica. Although it's price level is one of the lowest among the 5 stars at Copacabana beach, the services inside are very expensive, almost to the point of being abusive. One example is the absurd price of wi-fi connection, with the fare at R$35/day. Although not being necessarily unusual the charging on internet connection, this is by far the most expensive I've encountered, specially in 5 stars hotels I've stayed. There's no justification to it's steep price.
Drinks and foods inside are also quite expensive, with a small bottle of water (250ml) being priced at R$6. Again, it's not unusual for hotels to charge more for the drinks/food offered inside it's premisses, however due to it's location, right in the middle of a lively neighborhood, I find it laughable and somehow irritating such scandalous prices.
Our room was considered luxury, but didn't offer a bath and bathroom was rather small. Also the set of amenities were a bit scant for a 5 star hotel, however it was useful and the quality of it was also on par to the hotel proposal.
The hotel has 2 swimming pools (one of the things that made my decision to choose it), but they close very early. None of my 4 nights there I could enjoy them due to how early they close. I may understand of the rooftop one being closed a bit earlier, but the 4th floor one is very irritating.

On the upside, the hotel has a great location. Believe me: you don't want to stay in the middle of Copacabana beach. Being located at the corner of 2 of the most important avenues in the neighborhood helps a lot in getting to and out of the hotel. Also, the Leme beach is by far much better to enjoy than the Copacabana, not only because it's less crowded but also has some nicer and sometimes cheaper restaurants beachfront.
The hotel was once the very nice "Le Méridien", and still holds up quite well against the hotels of it's era (like the Othon Palace and Pestana) and the newer ones (like Marriot), specially due to it's renovation of the rooms, making it on par with the rest of the Windsor chain.

Breakfast is excellent, with good service, quality and awesome variety however it should offer 1 or 2 more fruit varieties in my opinion. Bed is very confortable, good linen and nice choice of channels. The rooftop swimming pool offers a great view of the city and is very confortable to stay. Bartenders however are not necessarily too friendly.
Gym had good equipments but didn't have drinkable water, really not cool.

In overall I recommend the hotel, however I expected more of a 5 star from Windsor chain.

Room Tip: The middlemost rooms doesn't offer a bath and they have the same price point of others on it'...
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have used this hotel in my capacity as a promoter of events and neither I, nor my VIP clients who stay, there have ever been disappointed. I have always found them to be of the highest standard in customer service and fairness in my dealings with them. Dubliner Promotions was proud to have them as a listed contributor last year for an event which raised money for a Brazilian Charity. The infinity pool which looks over Copacabana bay is incredible - unfortunately I have usually been in business attire and unable to jump in (although with the excellent pool side bar service I have been tempted !). While not in the best area of Copacabana, it is also beside the best area - Leme. As long as you turn left when you hit the beach for restaurants or bars you won't be disappointed. Very safe and Marius in particular is probably the best all you can eat seafood on Mother Earth. Turn right or ask the concierge, grab a taxi and you are in the heart of Ipanema or Leblon within minutes. Having seen the quality of service my clients receive and the amenities on offer in the hotel - maybe they'll give me a room sometime if I am lucky ! There is no better value for money on the Avenida Atlantica Strip (Copacabana) or Viera Souto (Ipanema) if in doubt - source it out. Bang for the buck you just can't go wrong here compared to the top two (i'm guessing they must remain nameless)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Windsor Atlantica Hotel? Share your experiences!