“Luxurious hotel, kind service, famous beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana

You added Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana to your Saves list
Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Atlantica, 4240 | Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22070-002, Brazil (Copacabana)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #17 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Sao Paulo, Brazil
“Luxurious hotel, kind service, famous beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the hotel for the weekend with our 1 year old daughter. As it was booked through his firm, I did not peruse all room options available. We were placed in the Club floor, where service is perfect!!! From check-in to our butler and the maid who cleaned our room, everyone was extremely kind and helpful with anything we needed. The Club lounge was everything we expected. Breakfast with an amazing view, food of the highest quality and options to please all tastes (healthy and non-healthy alike). The room was a little small for a crib, but we had a veranda and the most amazing view of the beach. The decor was nice and practical, which made the room size irrelevant (plenty of storage space for all our belongings). The bed was a little on the soft side, but the shower was so worth it. Because we had asked for a crib, there was a kind gift basket in our room with baby toiletries when we arrived. A really nice touch! The hotel is excellently located in Copacana Beach near Arpoador, so Ipanema is just a 10 minute walk away and Leblon just a little farther away. Don't miss: the Madeleines served at the lobby in your way in or out! One suggestion: indicate that check-in for Club Level Rooms are on the 8th floor, so people won't waste time in line at the general check-in when they arrive (importante note: front desk attendant was extremely nice when she said that our check-in was some place else and even accompanied us to where we were supped to go). While we waited, our daughter was presented with a little Le Petit Prince doll, which she became crazy about and carried around with her everywhere. Another suggestion: a few more healthier options in the Kids Menu would be great!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to Arpoador/Copacabana beach. Rooms in higher floors are quitter and have...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sofitel-Rio, Gerente geral at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
“Bonjour. Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro. We are really glad with your feedback. At our executive floor we strive to offer a place that unites the “at-home” feeling with the feeling of living a magnificent moment, a unique experience, just like you and your lovely family.We are proud that we have made it. It helps us to get even better. Looking forward to welcome you in a near future, Best Regards, Frederic Ribault, Hotel Manager.”

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Turkish first
Albuquerque, New Mexico, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

As a frequent traveller to Rio this is my favorite among what I consider the four "best" Rio hotels. Most important is that all rooms have a balcony. Not common in Rio. Obviously one should stay in Club Millesime level; if you book way in advance as I did, you might get a really good rate-- late bookings can be expensive. The service and amenities at Club level are excellent in every way. Hotel staff outside of Club level equally outgoing and pleasant.
The location is superb; right between Copacabana and Ipanema/Arpoador. I love the views of Copacabana, but only swim at Ipanema, so the hotel gives me the best of both!
Book early and love it....

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

“ Bonjour, Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro. I am very glad to read about your “Magnifique” stay with us and that you noticed and appreciated all these details along your experience. We were truly pleased to welcome you and look forward to your next stay at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana. Best regards, Frédéric Ribault, Hotel Manager”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous location however the service and quality of facilities were more like two star.
Location is great on the beach, however the room I had overlooked other buildings and you had no idea you were near the sea. The quality of housekeeping was APALLING. The room was not serviced in the evening, one day there were no towels, another day no bathmat, no wastebins in the room or bathroom. I am not even sure if the floors of the room were cleaned. Checkin and out was extremely inefficient and their processes need a majormajorrevamp. I would add though that the concierge eas quite helpful. All in all i would not

Sofitel-Rio, Gerente geral at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Bonjour.Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Copacabana Rio de Janeiro. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations, regarding the situations you encountered, so please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Best Regards,

Frederic Ribault, Hotel Manager
Romford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

The hotel is in a great location for the beach as well as a large number of shops and restaurants to suit all tastes and styles just a short walk away. The room we stayed in overlooked the Cocacabana beach but was in need of a little TLC. Everything we needed was there and it all functioned fine, but some of the furnature and fittings were showing signs of needing replacing. The food was all very good and we enjoyed our three night stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel-Rio, Gerente geral at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Bonjour. Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro. I am very glad to read about your Magnifique stay with us. It is our goal to satisfy all of our guests needs and always a pleasure to read that it has been reached. Please rest assured that I will forward your compliments to my team. We were truly pleased to welcome you and look forward to your next stay at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana. Best Regards, Frédéric Ribault, Hotel Manager
Zürich, Schweiz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

First time I was with my Mother on a trip through South America.

We booked a Club Room with access to the Lounge.

The Room was okay, not very big or special. Just okay.

The Club Lounge (Club Millesime) is nice they have great little snacks and free beverages (alcohol too)

Breakfast is one of the best in the World. Go and have on the main terasse where u see Copacabana Beach and Sugarloaf.

Good:
Great Breakfast
Nice Location
English is spoken
Reactions on the survery they sent me after
My Mum got a Birthdaycake (very delicious) and champagne

Negative:
Nothing Special as a Platinum Member

I wanted to have a club sandwich at the Club, so the Woman told me to call the Room Service from the Club Phone. (Why she didnt order for me)
I did order it without tomatoes and the confirmed.
After 45 min I got a clubsandwich with tomatoes so I complained and said I want a new one.
(I dont pay 37$ and take out the tomatoes myself)

30 min later I get another sandwich but without frenchfries. So I complained again.
They gave me french fries on another plate. they were cold. I complained and they just said they are hot.

The complaint at the Lounge was not very good. No compensation was offered. Later when I mentioned this in the Hotel Survery of Sofitel, they got back to me by email which will lead to my second review.

Room Tip: Higher floors with club access has better views
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lenexa, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Our flight arrived late morning, with our arrival to Sofitel by 1pm. We had arranged the Club Millesime experience, which started with a private check-in on the 8th floor. Everyone was over-the-top wonderful; we were treated very well. Our room was not available due to arriving early, but they held our luggage and sent us upstairs to the private lounge with an great view of the ocean, the city, Sugar Loaf and the favelas on the side of the hill/mountain. They offered any kind of drink (all included in the Club) and incredible (really excellent and unique) appetizers available most of the day. We had breakfast on the lounge which was top-notch. We did decide to have breakfast later in the Atlantica restaurant downstairs as it had a more broad-based buffet selection and was also very good.

Some other notes: Our taxi ride from the airport to Sofitel was arranged at the taxi port line at the airport. The cost was R$50 plus R$3.50 per bag, about a 30-minute trip. Visiting Sugar Loaf is best by taxi. To go to Corcovado take the #583 bus by walking just a couple blocks off the beach. It is easy, takes a little bit longer than taxi but a great way to see the city and people.

Sofitel is at the end of Copacabana Beach and has direct access to the beach after walking across a street, as with all hotels in Copacabana and Ipanema. A walk from Sofitel to Ipanema Beach requires a few block walk on city streets to reach it, as the military fort and natural rock formations limit direct assess from one beach to the other.

Room Tip: Room 301 was excellent, providing a great view of the ocean and Sugar Loaf. A higher floor would be...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel-Rio, Gerente geral at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
“Bonjour. Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro. We were truly pleased to welcome you at “Club Millesime,” and happy to receive such a positive feedback. Looking forward to your next stay at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana. Best regards, Frédéric Ribault, Hotel Manager “

Been to Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana? Share your experiences!