“Lovely staff, incredible location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana to your Saves list
Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Atlantica, 4240 | Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22070-002, Brazil (Copacabana)   |
Ranked #16 of 211 hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Paris
“Lovely staff, incredible location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We are just wrapping up a seven-night stay on the club floor of the Sofitel. Having read some of the concerns of earlier guests, we contacted management early and were reassured that the concerns had been answered. And they were right... it has been a truly wonderful stay.

I'd like in particular to commend the club staff who were consistently gracious and helpful. Fabricio found us great music every night all over town. Nicole and the rest of the reception staff were always eager to chat and made us feel at home. Marina, the club staff coordinator was extremely friendly and always available.

The food service people in the club were also excellent. Roberta treated us wonderfully every evening during cocktail hour. Val, the head server at breakfast, always remembered our preferences and greeted us perfectly every morning (not being morning people, we really appreciated the breakfast hours lasting until 11 am!). They were great about letting everyone know when the buffet was closing and making sure no one felt rushed.

The butlers are charming and very eager to help. Moises and Marcello were friendly presences throughout our stay.

Finally, a quick note of thanks to Mr. Netto Moreira who gave us personal attention and checked in on us periodically during the stay. His colleague Brigitte was ubiquitous in the evenings -- it seems she never stopped working -- and was charming and fun to talk with.

The hotel itself seems in excellent condition. The public spaces are well furnished and in good repair. The health club is large and well equipped. The massage therapist was good.

We also had very good luck with the hotel's car service which is a cooperative of drivers who each own and drive their own cars. The fares were not exorbitant. No problem with getting cabs instead when we just wanted to jaunt downtown.

Absolutely KEY FACT... this is one of the only hotels with balconies overlooking the beach. Most sea-view rooms face over the swimming pool and so do have views of other balconies/rooms as well as the ocean... But, honestly, we didn't see any hotel on Copacabana or Ipanema with the same combination of view and balcony. Spring for the extra money and get an ocean-view room, it is a spectacular view and truly worth it.

Wracking my brain for suggestions, I honestly can't come up with much. One small warning is that the electrics here are 220 despite the fact that Brazil runs on both 110 and 220 so do be careful with non dual-voltage items.

Great, great stay! I just couldn't recommend the hotel or the personnel more highly. Bravo!

Room Tip: Ocean View!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel-Rio, Gerente geral at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this review, October 22, 2013

1,172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Turkish first
Caracas, Venezuela
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed here for 4 days and I can say that like many people say about Rio's hotels, everything is expensive and nothing's really that great. The 2nd floor was not renewed for my stay, a ot of noise from the street, and it was really old looking and the bathroom the closet doors and mattress were not 650$us per night like, sorry but I felt kinda scammed. Would not stay there if they don't change significantly.

Room Tip: room 2nd floor up, away from the street unless they've upgraded the balcony doors to noise cance...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Bonjour. Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro. Please believe that it is our priority to satisfy all of our guests and deliver a “Magnifique” service and experience throughout your stay with us. We were truly pleased to welcome you and look forward to your next stay at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana. Best regards, Frédéric Ribault, Hotel Manager.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed here for the last 2 nights of our holiday. We arrived late and tired, were checked in by a girl who was not very pleasant and who gave us a key for a room already occupied! Unforgivable error for a hotel like this. My husband had paid to get a room with a view of Copacabana beach and the view was stunning. The room was merely adequate and disappointing given the high cost. The whole hotel is very 'brown' and needs a good refurb. Breakfast also was adequate. I agree that the showers are great and to watch as doors don't always close when you leave the room. The location is great but the rest? Nowhere near.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour. Thank you for your feedback and choosing Sofitel Rio de Janeiro . We are sorry about the issues encountered. Please believe that it is our priority to satisfy all of our guests and deliver a “Magnifique” service and experience throughout your stay with us. We were truly pleased to welcome you and hope we will satisfy you more on a next stay at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana. Best regards, Frédéric Ribault, Hotel Manager
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

For a virst time visit in Rio, it is a really great hotel. Nice views, great bar and a view over Copancana beach. Internet is now included (at least in my rooms rate) but costs only 50R for 72 hours. Location to Ipanema and Copacapana ist great.
Just next time, would consider to stay somewhere in Santa Teresa, as location is very touristic.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Sofitel-Rio, Gerente geral at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Bonjour. Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro. We are glad to read about your Magnifique stay with us.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

The location is the best due to the views of Copacabana beach. The restaurant balcony is nice to sit and enjoy the day go by. The rooms are adequate. The spa is nice. The service is also good, the staff were all pleasant. There is an old fort directly across the street with some nice restaurants that was nice to visit. The hotel itself is a little just average, but the views and staff were above average. I don't think you would be disappointed staying here.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour. Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro. Indeed we are perfectly located in famous Copacabana and a few minutes from the most trendy neighborhood in Rio, Ipanema. I am very glad to read about your magnifique stay with us. Please rest assured that I will forward your compliments to my team. We were truly pleased to welcome you and look forward to your next stay at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana. Best regards, Frédéric Ribault, Hotel Manager
Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Been on a wine tour to chile stayed here for 2 nights on the way home with 10 retalers from londis nice hotel but alot of money shared a twin room clean and tidy got a safe fantastic shower! Just make sure that you pull the door close as they are not self closing pool outside not heated so it's a noon in winter good breakfast and nice views

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Bonjour. Thank you for your feedback and choosing Sofitel Rio de Janeiro for this unique event of your lives. We are sorry about the issues encountered. Please believe that it is our priority to satisfy all of our guests and deliver a Magnifique service and experience throughout your stay with us. We were truly pleased to welcome you and hope we will satisfy you more on a next stay at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana. Best regards, Frédéric Ribault, Hotel Manager
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I just came back from a week's holiday in Rio. I stayed with Sofitel throughout the entire holiday, and I am extremely glad that I have chosen Sofitel, the best decision I made this year.

I have read some bad reviews about this hotel, but it is way out of my understanding of why their experiences are so completely different from mine, I absolutely loved every moment in this hotel.

My flight was delayed in London for 2 hours, so I arrived the hotel after midnight, but the receptionist greeted us with a friendly and warm smile, then he checked us in and gave us an efficient introduction of the hotel and services, the whole process was easy, smooth, professional and friendly. I requested an ocean view room and the receptionist was more than happy to satisfy me with this request, he alocated us on the 6th floor right facing the sea, with a view of the whole Copacabana beach and sugar loaf mountain, it was breathtaking, and I get to see this every single day.

The hotel is at a good location, between Copacabana and Ipanema, so it's close to all the nice restaurants and bars in Ipanema and nice beaches along Copacabana. Opposite the hotel there is a museum with a very popular restaurant, and at the back of the hotel there is an antique market, quite big and busy. It is bit of a drive to centro or lapa, but the taxi in Rio is cheap or you can rent a bicycle.

The hotel breakfast is so good as well, the buffet restaurant is on the first floor with an ocean view, people can choose to sit indoor or outside, there are so many options and tons of tropical fruits, I agree that some reviewers mentioned the tea wasn't warm enough but I just drink freshly made fruit juice instead.

The hotel room is cleaned daily with fresh fruits replaced, and everyone works in the hotel greet us with a lovely smile and most of them speaks english, the swimming pool area is really peaceful and i enjoyed relaxing there with a cup of tea and read my book, when it rains i enjoyed listening to the rain. I also tried out the massage in the Spa, it was very relaxing and I fell asleep straight away, the masseur was too kind to wake me up afterwards and let me slept for half an hour longer.

The most amazing of all I think it's the concierge, we arranged all of our trips through them, we booked restaurants, theatre shows and tours through them too. Everything was as smooth as it can be, it was super efficient and easy, their local knowledge about Rio is incredible.

To visit Rio could have been a big pain, but Sofitel really made a difference, I absolutely enjoyed staying with this hotel and I definitely plan to go back very very soon. Thanks Sofitel Copacabana.

Room Tip: definitely go for rooms with an ocean view on a higher floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour. Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro. I am very glad to read about your Magnifique stay with us. It is our goal to satisfy all of our guests needs and always a pleasure to read that it has been reached. Please rest assured that I will forward your compliments to my team. We were truly pleased to welcome you and look forward to your next stay at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana. Best Regards, Frédéric Ribault, Hotel Manager

Been to Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana? Share your experiences!