“Love this hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Vieira Souto 320 | Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #28 of 217 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Love this hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Once you get over the fact that Rio is an absolute rip-off and that you have to knock a star and a half off every hotel rating to get the "real" rating, then you just breathe!!!. And once I got over the shock (I bounced around a few hotels first before sucking up the price and staying here) - I loved it. I felt so much better. The rooms are soooo nice! so light and clean and comfortable. I was so happy in my room! and the staff are amazing. I never wanted for anything. Everyone was so lovely and helpful and sweet - whether to help with beach things or to help me print things out for work, or advice on where to go. I thought the food was good and about in line with the restaurants nearby. The location is awesome if you want to be on the beach with the million other people, and it's a nice stroll around over-priced and normal priced shops, and then the open arts market and subway is nearby too. The lake is also walkable. I don't think I would want to stay anywhere else in Rio. I have done.. and this was by far the closest to a four star hotel in Rio that I have found. But yeah - the pool lol.. you won't be doing laps... it's like the photos show. I loved this hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 2nd floor which meant not waiting for elevators, but also meant I got traffic noise...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
solsandra, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Laguna Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

If you judge this hotel strictly by its location then it should get 4 or even 5 stars. The rest if very questionable. First, the roof swimming pool is an absolute joke. It is not just small. It is tiny, insignificant and useless. The picture of the pool that the hotel displays is very, very deceptive and can even be defined as false advertising. Second, the bar in the pool area is a joke as well. Caipirinha, the national Brazilian drink cocktail is normally very sweet but the one the barman served us with was not just sweet but pure sugar water. There was very little liquor in the drink. The prices the hotel charges for absolutely everything are not just high but astronomical. We called the room service and ordered a few salads. The salads looked pitiful. To make us real happy they did not bring the utensils and we had nothing to eat the few salad leafs with. When we called for the utensils it took them 15 minutes to bring the utensils up. When I complained to the front desk they brought us an apple and some other fruit to shut us up after a $60 bill. The ocean view rooms are noisy and in the back you see the beautiful favelas. Yet, in general Rio is a spectacular city and Ipanema has a special vibe. Therefore, despite the high cost, the hotel shortcomings and its age it is hard to be upset or take anything seriously in Rio.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back are quieter but the views are not exciting.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments.

Your opinion is very important for us.

Best regards
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Stayed at Sol Ipanema last Jan 2013 and again this january. It never disappoints. I had a spectacular view on Ipanema beach, the room was spacious, clean and exactly what you would expect. My flight was delayed until 3am and the staff couldn't have been more accomodating or helpful. Its location is great for restaurants, bars, walks on the promenade/beach...
Its definitely my place to stay when in Rio.

Room Tip: If you can stretch your budget to get an ocean view... its well worth it. To wake up to see the su...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear Lyndsey,

We are glad we could offer you a great experience at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel. It is rewarding to our staff to have such a good feedback like yours.

Barendrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

This hotel is really great. Nice rooms with sea view. A great roof pool and a good breakfast. The location is perfect ! A few steps away from shops and fancy restaurants. When I am back in Rio I will stay here again!

• Stayed February 2014
solsandra, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Mr. Frank,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Your comments were much appreciated by the management of BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Thank you for the great time!
My January birthday trip was awesome and this hotel staff was very helpful. The breakfast is good and with the view, the bed was comfortable, shower rather large. The pool bar tender was very attentive to everyone's needs, the lobby staff was helpful when asked to reserve a tour, exchange money, arrange airport transfer or help with TV or A/C workings in the room. The roof top view is awesome, especially for watching the sunset.
Relative to the rest of the city, this hotel is in the safe part of Rio. On the same block with Bossa Nova club, cafe and CD shop. There is also Zaza restaurant on the other side of the block to which it is rather safe to get by foot.
Towels, beach chairs and ambrellas were also provided by the hotel and were very helpful.
However, finding a bike rental shop mentioned on hotel web site was a bit hard and they require a real passport to rent bikes.

This is a small hotel so there are only 2 elevators and we were on the top floor. However, we have waited a bit long only once over our 7-day stay.

Room Tip: I would ask to a room on the top floor (15th) as it is closest to the steps to the roof pool/bar are...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
solsandra, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014

Mumbai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

The only good part about this hotel is the location. Other than that, avoid this hotel at all costs. Here is our experience:

1. We had booked a standard room and at check in even though there were several sea facing rooms available, the loud Debrah did not agree to upgrade us. Fair enough, as we had booked a standard, we even agreed to pay the difference to which she just smirked.

2. We had to call 3 times just to get a towel in the room. The staff is most unapologetic and rude and don't really care about what you need.

3. The electricity went off at 3 am one night and after calling the reception 6 times, someone came to our room to put off the emergency lights. They claim that they have 1 person working at night for 100 rooms! Is that even safe? To be fair, when we complained to the main manager at check out, he gave us a late check out to somehow compensate for the bad behaviour of his staff. BTW before this, Debrah had told us, if you check out even 1 minute late, we will charge you a penalty, her words were, "12 means 12". Who talks like that to customers?

4. When I needed a cab to the airport, I asked the front desk to call a cab for me and of course, he claimed that he did not know which number to dial. I had to find the number online and give it to him. The number was busy and the hotel guy looked at me and said that this was the last time he will dial the number and insisted that I should take the hotel car which was more than double the cost of a regular cab. He said this in front of Debrah who agreed with him.

The staff at this hotel are sly, rude and aggressive. I would NOT recommend you stay here and spoil your holiday.

Room Tip: dont stay here
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
solsandra, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
I was extremely concerned to read of your disappointing stay with us and I apologize most sincerely for the inconvenience you may have had.

The hotel was completed fully booked and unfortunatly we didn´t have any deluxe rooms available to upgrade you. If we had we would had a pleasure to do it.

We have faced a suddenly and unexpected blackout in the city at 3am, this was a problem that affect the whole Ipanema area and even thou we have less employers working at this time of night we did our best efforts to minimize the inconvenience for all our guests.

Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the issues you had and prevent any future occurrences.

We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us
the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Clean hotel, friendly service, silent rooms, beautiful view, cozy swimming pool at the hotel roof.
Good value for money, but not cheap. But is not a place for backpackers: I spent four days in the hotel (business meetings in the city). Then I put my dress into my backpack, I took my T-shirt, shorts and hat. I took my, ready for the monthly trip through South America. I wanted to check out and pay the bill, and at the reception desk they did not recognise in me their own guest :) But the bills are paid :)

Room Tip: Take room with ocean view, the upper floors rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
solsandra, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel, we would like to thank you for the compliments regarding our services during your stay.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel? Share your experiences!