“Weekend during work trip!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Vieira Souto 320 | Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #25 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Weekend during work trip!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This hotel was booked for me as I was in brasil on business and a few days facing the sea would be nice. The problem here with rooms on the front is the noise, you need ear plugs. The room has all you need the staff busy at front desk so a little sharp. All the other staff I met were really pleasant and helpful, especially the roof top bar man. The bet caipirinha in Rio.
I would return and will hopefully with my family.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
solsandra, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the BW PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel, we would like to thank you for the compliments regarding our services during your stay.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Hotel is located facing Ipanema Beach at Life Station #9. They provide umbrellas,chairs and beach towels for their guests to use on the beach. Good wifi and hair dryers are in the room. Dining room overlooks the beach and has a very nice buffet for breakfast that will suit all tastes. Rooms are spacious. Beds very comfortable and rooms very clean and sunny view from the windows. Roof top terrace has very small pool but great views of the area. If you are booking through US 800 number and are having difficulty with price or availability, you might try writing to the hotel direct. This is a franchise location for Best Western. Most of the guests I saw were Brazilians.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
solsandra, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Client,

Thank you very much for your comments in relation to your stay at BW PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel.
We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our services, it is pleasing to receive such comments as yours and to know we are caring for our guest properly.
We all look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Rio.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any request.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Staff was very accommodating, Rooms were clean, View was amazing, breakfast was top notch.

There is absolutely no place for negative reviews or complaining. I will stay here again in a heartbeat.

The location is prime time!

Room Tip: Stay here. Its awesome
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
solsandra, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013

San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I am just finishing a four night stay at the Best Western Plus Sol Ipanema. Overall, I really like this place. The last time I visited Rio, I stayed at the Ipanema Inn. This hotel is definitely a few steps ups from that property.

I like Ipanema better than Copacabana. It is cleaner, safer, better shopping and restaurants and the beach is better. The down side of Ipanema is that the hotel choices aren't as good. Most of the hotels are older and don't have the services you will find in Copacabana. For me, especially traveling alone, location and safety outweighs some of the perks some of the Copa hotels have.

I booked a ocean view room based on the reviews from TA. I am glad I did. The only thing a bit weird is that the windows are kind of high so you do need to stretch a bit to get the view. However, it was fun to watch what was going on the beach right from your window. The hotel put me on the 13th floor which was amazing. I didn't have trouble with noise like some of the other reviewers but you are on the main street. I really didn't experience a truly quiet room my entire trip so I think I was used to the ambient noise.

What works about the hotel:

1) location - right across from beach and famous Post 9 lifeguard tower, restaurants all over the place. Grocery store and the Sunday Hippie fair only a few blocks away. The streets of Ipanema are really nice to walk around too!
2) service - I thought the desk staff was really helpful. They helped me book the express tour to see the Christ Redeemer and Sugar Loaf - R$190. Very good tour - efficient way to see both in 6 hours plus a short city tour. The guide spoke English
3) beach supplies - you can get chair, towel and umbrellas from the hotel. Then walk across the street to the beach and enjoy
4) views - from my room and the roof top deck, the views are amazing
5) breakfast included - best during my entire stay - good fruit and pastries
6) water pressure - this sounds like a funny thing to write about but until I stayed at this hotel, I didn't feel like I was really clean my entire trip
7) rooms - very big. Kind of a weird long configuration but easily fit two queen beds
8) English speaking front desk staff - I never expect this when going to another country but its nice when the front desk staff does speak English and they did here

What was just ok:

1) roof top deck - great views but it was really small and always crowed. The pool was super small, like a plunge pool
2) fitness center - only a few treadmills and hand weights
3) price - all the hotels are expensive in Rio
4) lobby bar - kind of cramped in the entrance but I did eat the food and it was good

Other things to know... The beach on the weekends is PACKED like you see on TV. I waited until during the week and it was much more comfortable but still good for people watching. Sunday they close the beach street in Ipanema and Copa which makes for some good walking and people watching. Sunday is the famous Hippie Fair which is a few blocks from the hotel.

Overall a good stay and good choice for Ipanema!

Room Tip: Pay extra for ocean view. Try to get a high room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
solsandra, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. It is a great pleasure to have feedback highlighting the quality of our service.

We hope to see you again with us!

Lethbridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We spent three nights here as part of our first trip to Brazil. The staff were very welcoming and were more than accommodating given that we arrived 4 hours before check-in time. The room was well appointed and we specifically asked for a beach view, which we did get. The view from the rooftop pool, however, supercedes that of any of the rooms. The location is ideal. Not only are you across the street from Ipanema Beach, it's a very short walk to the Hippie Market on Sundays, lots of restaurants and juice bars and even a supermarket. The area is perfectly safe with lots of families, couples and was a joy to stay in. The only downside is the price, but if you want to stay someplace nice in Rio, you have to pay for it.

Room Tip: spend the money on the beach view. It's worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
solsandra, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

I have just arrived home from a 6 night stay here as a couple and it was fantastic. We had a deluxe ocean view room - well worth the money. The rooms were clean, bed was comfy and the room was a good size. The breakfast was great and the location couldn't have been better - the ocean is on your doorstep and the free towels, umbrellas and chairs are a nice touch. The pool at the top is small but we knew this and really the ocean is all you need. Yes the rooms were a little noisy from the road outside but really not enough to bother us. The staff, especially the front desk were fantastic and one man in particular went above and beyond to be very helpful to us. The hotel is within walking distance to so many lovely restaurants you are spoilt for choice. We also walked to the lagoon from here very easily. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel on all accounts.

• Stayed August 2013
solsandra, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments in relation to your stay at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel.

We all look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Rio.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any request.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This review is six months over due! We came to Sol Ipanema last November for my 30th bday. Overall, our stay was great!
Pros:
- The staff was friendly.
- Hotel room was very clean.
- Location was amazing!
- We got a high floor when we first arrived so that was nice!
- The views are amazing!
- lost my glasses and cleaning staff found them and held them for me

Cons
- Many flights from the U.S. to Rio are overnight flights so we arrived at the hotel in the morning around 9am. The room was not ready so they could not offer it to us. They suggested we go to the beach or go swimming in there pool. However, after being on the plane for 10 hours we just wanted a place to decompress. There was no place for us to sit except upstairs on the roof top pool. We tried to get breakfast but they said we couldn't since we officially hadn't checked in. It would have been nice if they let us sit and eat breakfast so that was a bummer. We then decided to get some errands done and get food outside. It was overwhelming and tiring because of the language barrier. Finally, we went back at 11am to see if our room was ready and it was not. Finally around noon we got our room. The combination of hardly any sleep the night before and waiting the morning for our room put a damper on our trip in the beginning. Understandably they could not give us a room that was not ready but it would have been nice if they let us eat breakfast and relax at the hotel. Nonetheless, they made it up to us by giving us a room on a higher floor.
- The roof top pool is tiny!
- It is very over priced hotel but so are most hotels in the area.
- Breakfast was okay. I never really felt satisfied with it but it might be because I am vegetarian and wanted more greens and veg friendly protein.
- Coming back from the beach you have to enter thru their lobby where everyone is hanging out. Being wet, I found it uncomfortable walking through the pristine lobby. I would prefer a side entrance.

At the end of the day our stay was nice. Unfortunately, we forget the names of staff at the front desk but they were really very helpful! One of them was an older gentleman who paid attention to our needs. I think he was manager probably. There was also man from Portugal who just went out of his way! Finally, the only female front desk staff, maybe from abroad as well, was so sweet and patient.

If you can afford, it definitely a good place to stay!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
solsandra, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments!

Your opinion is very important for us.

BEST WESTERN PLUS SOL IPANEMA HOTEL

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel? Share your experiences!