“in the center of Capocabana” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro

You added JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Atlantica 2600, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22041001, Brazil (Copacabana)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free breakfast + Wi-Fi
Ranked #11 of 214 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
seattle
“in the center of Capocabana”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Perfect location in the center of Capocabana. It has complimentary beach service just across the street. Nice view on the roof top. Convenient Executive Lounge for breakfast and appetizers in the evening. Good wifi connection. It is unfortunate that it does not have any room with balcony.

Room Tip: Executive Lounge level
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
JW_Marriott_RJ, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
We are located in the center of Copacabana and it is indeed a perfect location with the best view as you mentioned. Thank you for your comment and we hope that you have a future opportunity to visit us once again.

Regards

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I have stayed at many hotels all over the world but this was my first experience of J W Marriott in Rio, Copacabana strip.

Firstly, can I thank this wonderful hotel and it's warm, friendly and inviting staff for making my holiday experience unbelievable and truly outstanding. My room was amazing - I didn't have an ocean view but as the beach is just across the road and know from experience not everyone can have a sea view, this didn't bother me at all. We paid a little extra for Executive but this was worth every penny. Breakfast was always delicious without fail and the staff went out of their way to ensure they knew what we wanted from the omlette bar.

The rooms and bathrooms were exceptionally clean, the entire hotel was spotless. As a seasoned hotel user I have stayed at some where the rooms have been far from inviting but these were amazing. Nothing was too much to ask of the staff and we had many fun evenings there. On site they have a gorgeous Japanese restaurant which we frequented, following up with a walk across the road to the small al-fresco bars along the Copacabana beach. We never felt one moment of worry about going to these as again, the people were warm and friendly.

I am determined to return to this marvellous hotel in a marvellous country, the staff are a true credit to J W Marriott.

Thank you JWM for the entire experience. This hotel offers hospitality, professionalism, a high standard of cleanliness and delightful staff with ready and genuine smiles, I will be back.

Paula Watt.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
JW_Marriott_RJ, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Your words bring a lot of joy to me and the JW Marriott´s team as we work hard to make a difference in our guest´s experience. We would be delighted to have you stay with us on a near future so that you can once again enjoy our beautiful Copacabana beach and more importantly the warm friendly service of the JW Marriott´s team.
Petah Tikwah, HaMerkaz, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

The hotel is overall excellent
We had a fantastic stay but too short
The location in front of the beach with the superb panoramic view
The staff is very friendly and very helpful
The concierge was also very helpful with the reservation of a show
The rooms are very clean and net and very comfortable with all the facilities
In general I recommend this hotel

Room Tip: I recommend a sea view room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JW_Marriott_RJ, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
The views that our hotel offers are indeed super and our team compliments the wonderful services that we offer. I thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments and we hope that on your next trip to Rio de Janeiro you stay with us for a longer period of time.
Bern, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This hotel is average as far as JW Marriotts go. The rooms are no different than any other Marriott, but what makes this a category 8 hotel is the location and the view. For the view, of course, you need to have an ocean view room; otherwise I recommend you don’t look out of the window. If you do have an ocean view, then you are afforded a view of Copacabana beach in its entire splendor. The hotel lies roughly in the middle of the beach, so you have a beautiful view looking both left and right, along with the convenience of a mid-point location. Additionally, the concierge lounge is small but well supplied. The only glitch is that a server must pour your coffee and one is not always readily available.

Room Tip: You have to go for the ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your comments and we are glad that you took advantage of our beautiful Ocean view rooms and thank you for your comments. We have at the Exec Lounge a Nespresso machine at the “Grab and Go” station that is available to our guests 24 hours. We look forward to welcome you on your next trip to Rio.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

This was my second trip to Rio and 5th to Brazil, all previous were for business. On my first trip to Rio I stayed at the Sol Ipanema Best Western which was decent but not nearly as luxurious as the JWM. In addition, even though Ipanema is nice, I found Copacabana to be a little bit livelier at night with the beach cabanas and guitar music.

I stayed for 7 nights using points for a solo "outdoor adventure" vacation. I am a gold member with frequent international travel and I always dreamed of coming to Rio without the family for a week of hiking, swimming, and biking. This was a perfect hotel for my agenda and the executive lounge was a lot of fun, ending each day with caipirinha drinks and a beach view while meeting other travelers. Even after 7 nights I wished I was staying a few more.

The executive floor staff is friendly and helpful with fluent English spoken by most staff. They provided early check-in (10:30am on a Wednesday) with an upgrade to beach view. On my last day they allowed use of the pool, showers, and club lounge until my departure at 8:30pm. So effectively I had 8 days to enjoy the hotel, it was really convenient.

A few quirks that I would not expect at a Category 8 property:

1. There are slippers in the room but no robes or hotel bags.
2. There is only 1 chair in the room, the desk chair, which is good for computer work but not great for morning coffee. There is a floor lamp in the corner but no sitting chair, just empty space. I would have liked a sitting chair.
3. Bike rental is offered through the concierge, which is convenient, but the prices are too high relative to the bike quality. They should either provide these bikes for a much lower cost or get better bikes.
4. The executive lounge and the hallways / common areas are too cold. I've spent hundreds of nights in Marriott hotels around the world and this is the coldest one I can remember. It was frustrating to be in Rio overlooking the beach and it's 65F in the lounge.
5. The executive lounge evening food is good, but the meat is limited to cold cuts and fancy hot dogs. In a Category 8 property in Brazil I think a plate of beef or chicken should be served as well as some fresh dipping vegetables.
5. There is a privately-run money changing service on the basement level. The clerk was the slowest money changer I've encountered anywhere in the world. She spent approximately 10 minutes with someone when I first arrived and then another 10 minutes with me. That means it took me 20 minutes to change money, which is very frustrating when a sunny day is awaiting. A typical changer at the airport does it in less than 60 seconds. I suggest that the JWM find a different service.

Some unique positives:

1. Caipirinhas in the executive lounge!
2. The rooftop pool is long enough to swim short laps, which is not common in Brazilian business hotels. The pool is heated! And it has colored disco lights in the water at night.
3. Live guitar music in the evening at several beach cabanas across the street
4. The JWM beach attendant is very professional and does a great job ensuring the guests are comfortable on the beach. The chairs, umbrellas, and towels are the cleanest anywhere on Copa, he speaks fluent English, and even "looks the part" of a top class beach manager.
5. The Siqueira Campos metro station is just a few blocks away from the beach, 7 min walk from the hotel. Highly recommended for visiting Centro, Lapa, etc as this will avoid the traffic.

I hope to return to Rio again soon and would look forward to staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: 514 is an excellent ocean view room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for having chosen the JW Marriott Hotel for your week long adventure. Thank you for your comments and appreciate your constructive feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay to the fullest and I hope that on your next leisure travel you choose to stay with us again and enjoy all the many more wonders that this beautiful city has to offer. Once again thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and we invite you to end another day with us enjoying a caipirinha at our concierge lounge overlooking the beach.
Northallerton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Superb location as just across the road from Copacabana beach.
Lovely city with plenty to see and do
Cable car to top of sugar loaf, up to Christ the Redeemer, visit a favela .......
Hotel really well located for this

Room Tip: Make sure you get one that faces the beach, as some look inward to atrium
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stayed here for only one night for business but really enjoyed the stay. The room was a little small but very clean and well appointed. My room was on the 15th floor and has an oceanview. As a gold elite member I was emailed prior to my arrival offering a VIP check-in experience and I was upgraded to a room with a view automatically. The club was very nice and the service very good. I woudl certainly recommend this hotel and stay here again on my next visit.

Room Tip: Oceanview rooms up high to avoid street noise
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
JW_Marriott_RJ, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
We always thank you for your loyalty as a Marriott Rewards member and as availability allows us to we are happy to provide complementary upgrades as a gesture of appreciation. We are very happy to know that we made your stay a comfortable and wonderful experience. We await your prompt return.
Director of Rooms

Been to JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro? Share your experiences!