“Overall decent , just not room 920!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro

You added JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Atlantica 2600, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22041001, Brazil (Copacabana)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free breakfast + Wi-Fi
Ranked #11 of 217 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rutland
“Overall decent , just not room 920!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed at the JW Rio for two nights whilst out for the England match at the Maracana stadium.
Booked a junior suite , Copacabana view which was a lovely room. Only issue was it was room 920 which is right next to the kitchen for the executive lounge so was woken on both days at 5.20/5.30 am by lots of banging as they prepared the breakfast. I was offered a move after the first night which I declined as I was only there two nights, but no offer of any discount or extra marriott points. At $430 a night you would hope for a good nights sleep, I am sure I am not the first person to be disturbed in this room!
Overall a decent hotel, nice exec lounge ,good location, excellent gym and roof top pool. Would recommend just not room 920!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Rio has a huge problem regarding hotels (all expensive and old / filthy), so the JW becomes an excellent choice. No frills, not full of personality and charm but certainly does the job.
Comfy bed, nice bathroom, nice pool on the rooftop (sunny all day), very good gym for it's size, great service. Copacabana is not my favorite location, but it's not far from (much better) Ipanema and Leblon.
Sometimes they offer good weekend deals which makes it even more appealing. If you're not in Rio very often, go for the ocean view rooms. Otherwise the atrium ones are ok.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are worth the extra, specially higher floors, as Copacabana's views are amongst...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Toledo, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This Hotel is the kind of Hotel that everyone shall say : "not bad but very expensive" and they will be right

1.- Amazing location. In the middle of Copacabana Beach
2.- Rooms not so big and most of them have a view to an interior patio :(
3.- Rooms are quite (no complain on that) but avoid the one in front of the elevator a 9 floor. You will day since that´s the entrance to the executive floor
4.. Executive floor not bad with full of choices and nice happy hour. However the breakfast is simple
5.- Gym is not so big but you can have a run at the Copacabana Beach. The whole beach measure is 4 km and they have a path for runners and bikes. Totally worth it and you will find lots of people working out
6.- The Hotel has their section at the beach and they will provide you umbrellas, chairs and towels for free
7.- People at the lobby very nice!

Room Tip: Never 9th florr in front of the elavator
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This hotel may not be the fanciest hotel I have been to but they make up for the great service. The warm and friendly service started from the moment I stepped into the hotel until the day I left 10 days later. The room was quite small but comfortable and amenities complete. Breakfast was good, with enough selections. The staff helped to make us managing a large group that we housed in this hotel a little easier. Location was of course fantastic - the famed Copacabana Beach right in front and there are lots of shops behind the hotel. I'd recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Great large modern rooms, ours had a great full on ocean views but many rooms face an interior courtyard. Excellent buffet for breakfast. Area is not as stylish as Ipenema but is only a few minutes away by cab. Very helpful but overworked concierges. Had to check out at noon on day we were leaving on a nighttime flight. Hotel allowed use of shower area on rooftop pool deck that night which helped us get cleaned up before our flight.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

.Since 1990, I traveled on business all over the world for as a Director of Marketing. But this trip to this hotel was a vacation and I used hundreds of thousands of Marriot Rewards points to stay here. My only negative comment was that colleagues that I work with in our office there, came to meet me to take some training modules I had put together since this trip I was not going to be training. We started up to go to my room to copy these training/lectures to be used with our South American distributors and update them on new products. They were both in Portuguese and English since I am multi-lingual. Headed to my room with a few beers and a bottle of wine, we were stopped before getting on the elevators and my colleague was not able to come to my room to copy the presentations and have me give him the training to then train all the others in South America who could benefit from this important sales tool. Even though I spent nearly 290,000 rewards miles for a room here for 6 nights and requested a ocean view with balcony, I got a room on the interior of the hotel that had no view and a very small window looking at all the industrial equipment to run the hotel. Once I was out of the small cramped room it was OK. Since 2004, I have try to avoid Marriott for its policy in Brazil and allowing colleagues to work together in the guests room. It is not like I was bringing a "lady of the night" there or anyone dangerous, it was someone I knew, who had visited me before at other Rio hotels without incident and he was a man in his mid 40's. Very professionally dressed, well mannered, spoke several languages but they would not let him go upstairs. So I had to have him pick me up, drive 30 minutes to his office to have this meeting and lose a day of vacation. If I spent so many points and big money for years at the Marriott chain around the world I should have had some kind of personal courtesy to allow to do a little work, naybe 1 hour or so, to provide him with the training tools and tricks of the trade. Instead of losing just one hour of my vacation I ended up losing 6 hours the next day.... lost sun, swimming on the beach and having a few drinks. At the end I would not even spend any money there again during my stay. Not even for a bottle of water. I went out to eat, to the Scala Theatre to see "The South American Way" a musical and play about the life of Carmen Miranda. Great show, but I always had that thorn in my side for the rest of my trip and ate out at other restaurants, drank at other watering holes and just went there to sleep during the evenings. They do not go out of their way for guests to enjoy themselves at all and in fact throw roadblocks in your path that makes the stay so much more impleasant. I had stayed at 9 different hotels on 5 previous trips and as a businessman was never prevented to having guests visit me in my room or come up because I was running late get ready to go out. I could have ordered a drink or snacks or something from room service until I was ready, but no, my colleagues had to sit downstairs in the lobby while I had to rush to get ready and join them for the Scala Theatre event. I recommend the Intercontinental Hotel about a block away. Much cheaper, larger rooms with large balcony, acess to the VIP lounge where you can get coffee, alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks, snacks and such and sit out on the balcony and people watch while you relax from a long day at the beach in the glorious sunshine. James from Lowell

Room Tip: Compare this Hotel and these amenities to the Intercontinental just a few feet down the street. Th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I just came back from a 3 day trip from Rio after spending time in Buzios. The lobby hotel is under renovations however, the work being done is blocked by some really nice wall covering. I was immediately ushered to the 9th floor and I was told that my room wasnt ready (12PM local time) but I could go enjoy the lounge in the meantime. I am not sure that the Wifi was affected by the construction as it was down for at least two days, it was until the moved the walled off area that it started to work again. I am still waiting for the points they promised me. Apart from that, the staff was professional and courteous--the lounge got a bit crowded and that may have been the reason why the attendants were a bit slow in attending to drink requests and refills.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro? Share your experiences!