“My Wife Made Me Do This And I Was Glad.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rio Samba Dancer

Rio Samba Dancer
Dance Studio in Copacabana | Send An Email to Confirm, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
+55 21 98229-2843
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience Brazil's dance culture and nightlife with a Samba lesson and night out in Rio. Start your evening at a Copacabana dance studio with a personal instructor to teach you some moves. Then head out to a club to meet some locals and start dancing! Get to know Rio's famous nightlife and meet some locals as you build confidence in your dancing and have a great night out!The dance class can happen directly before going to a club, or you can choose to meet your instructor later on and go to the club together.
4 attraction reviews
“My Wife Made Me Do This And I Was Glad.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was a reluctant participant for this event. My wife and two friends navigated the early spring streets of Rio (we walked from the area of the Copacabana Palace) using a smart phone and a map to find the shop. Take a cab if you are worried about looking like a tourist. The night began with a lesson covering beginning Samba and Forró, The lesson was basic enough for someone like me with two left feet and advanced enough for our two friends from Denmark that knew how to "Danish" samba. After the lesson our teacher / guide shepherded six tourists to a fantastic Samba Bar (an article noted that the bar was one of the ten best in the world) in Centro (downtown Rio). We had a FANTASTIC night and got to experience bit of RIo that did not feel touristy but did feel safe. All of us highly recommend this tour.

Visited October 2013
RioSambaDancer, Proprietário at Rio Samba Dancer, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for participating in our "Samba Class + Samba Night Tour". Thank you for submitting your comment. I'm very glad you enjoyed our service, we try to do our best for you all to enjoy.

Toronto, Canada
10 attraction reviews
“Excellent First Time Experience and Great Night Out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I went to Rio with 6 other girls for my bachelorette back in September. Even though I'm not a particularly great dancer or coordinated person in general, I knew before we left Toronto that a samba lesson was a must-do in Rio. Within an hour's lesson with Helio, you don't become a professional dancer. But you have fun, you learn some basic steps, Helio makes you laugh and he guides you through one show-stopper lift over his knee (that everyone can do!). He also teaches you how to avoid men who want to try and kiss you :).

Then you get a chance to go to Rio Scenarium - beautiful, beautiful club with live music, and have some more fun. We went on a rainy night, got a little wet between the taxi and running into the club, but it was an amazing time. Helio definitely ensures you get on the dance floor even if you're bashful...and for a few minutes, you forget that you're uncoordinated and have no body rhythm :)

London, United Kingdom
“Great Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I went with my wife for an hour lesson and thought it was excellent. The highlight, as many reviews will attest is the teacher, Helio, and his enthusiasm. He breaks down the samba dance into its basic steps and then combines them until you suddenly find yourself doing something that resembles samba (or at least happily trying to in my case). I would recommend wearing thin shoes as I had bulky trainers on which didn't quite work with the small steps but it doesn't really matter too much.

My only gripe was the dance studio was slightly difficult to find. Its actually at the back of a clothes shop (there is another dance studio on the road which we mistakenly tried to go into). However I think he has a board on most days (we went on a Sunday when the shop is closed) so this may not normally be a problem.

London, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“Helio is 1,2,3....5*”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had such a fun evening with Helio. He managed to teach me a little samba which is definitely an achievement! My wife had a great time at the dance studio and then at the samba club Rio Scenarium. Well worth giving Helio a call/email. He is extremely professional and a lot of fun at the same time!

Columbus, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
“Great Intro to Samba and Fun Night Out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Great couples activity and what better place to Samba than in Rio! My wife and I had very little dance experience, other than the few lessons we took before our wedding, but the instructor, Helio, was patient and certainly never made us feel silly or intimidated. He broke down the steps, was funny and personable, professional and he is passionate about Samba. Once we were in the club, he took the time to explain (and help) ordering drinks, provided a personal tour of Rio Scenarium and danced with us and helped make us feel comfortable dancing with/around Cariocas/locals (some whom obviously had many years of samba experience, of course!).

We probably wouldn't have ventured out into Lapa on our own, let alone get out on the dance floor in a local club and samba. Yet, it was a comfortable, safe and fun experience we will never forget. As an added bonus, Helio even gave us a Samba CD for us to work on our moves at home! Highly Recommend!