“Small and friendly in a good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Misti House Copacabana

You added El Misti House Copacabana to your Saves list
El Misti House Copacabana
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Rua Silva Castro, 49, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22031-030, Brazil (Copacabana)   |
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Small and friendly in a good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

This hostel is well located in Copacobana, just a 5/10 minute walk from the beach, shops and restaurants! There is also a good little supermarket across the road from the hostel. Dorms were quite cramped, but there are lockers for your bags. There was a great breakfast, lots of choice and well stocked! They do meals in the evening too, for a good price, if you don't fancy cooking or eating out. Not all the hostel staff speak English, but they are really helpful and friendly! The wifi was ok, sometimes cut out in the rooms. There were 2 computers in the communal area, which were free to use. There was a friendly atmosphere, but it wasn't the most sociable hostel. Would recommend for a quiet few nights, but not if you want to party!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Mistihostel, Gerente at El Misti House Copacabana, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Hi! Thanks for sharing with us the experience you had at the hostel and to rate our services. We appreciate your detailed review and hope to see you again in Rio!!
Cheers!
El Misti House staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

My favorite hostel!! love people who i met there! thank you so much to Renzo Mori, the girls at the reception, the bartenders, Harris the cook :)!! I recommand this hostel to everybody for the atmosphere, the service, people, activities,food, caipirinhas!!

Room Tip: It has air conditionar are in all rooms, it has several bathroom, breakfast is included each morning...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi!!
We are so happy to know that you had such a great stay at the House! We truly appreciate your review, thanks for taking the time to write your comments!
Rio and el Misti will be waiting for your next visit!
Kind Regards from all El Misti staff.
Francescas, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Stayed there for 5 days and it's well worth it. Located 3/4 blocks away from the beach and easy access to supermarkets and transport facities to the get to the city centre in Rio.

Staffs also very friendly and will most importantly hlep for inofrmations and in my case they speak english.

Alos I eat at the hostel in the evening as most of the dishes were arounf 15 rials and you eat as musch as you can; really helpful if you dont want to go the th erestaurants which are more expensive. also they serve a very good breafast and you've tea and cake n the afternoon. i don't have any links with El misti but I'll definely go there again based on the quality and price on the rooms. Please note that I travelled latin america for the past 5 weeeks and have been staying in hostels during that time. and I'm comparing my tsay in elmisti compared to the different places i've stayed.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Great location that's only 3 blocks away from Copacabana beach. The hostel has an overall good vibe. The staff are okay with the exception of Renzo. When checking in, Renzo helped me out and made me feel very welcome while answering all of my stupid questions. He was very accommodating and I didn't feel like just another traveler passing through; He was wonderful! The breakfast offered is probably the best I've had at any hostel. The price is pretty fair considering the great location. As a side note, sometimes the hostel gets really hot but have no fear, all the rooms have a fan and AC.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights it's a far walk to the beach, always a member of staff around to help with any info, good wifi bar and restaurants close by, not always clean small shower room , the room very a tight squeeze not a lot of room at all, but I meet some really great people there that was traveling like me.

• Stayed May 2013
Bracebridge, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I'm a very reasonable and forgiving person but this was just too much. Main concerns:
- As a solo female traveller I got stuck in a room with 5 non-english speaking guys who were pretty much nocturnal. Their stuff was everywhere, including on my bed when I arrived. Not to mention the women's underwear hanging from the mirror (...classy). When I finally met them they kindly let me know in advance that they would be loud when they returned back from partying at 4:30 am (mission accomplished). The staff saw the state of the room (as they brought me up to it), and it was clear that they new who they were putting me with, and the hostel was not full. The amount of axe that was sprayed before going out partying gave me an asthma attack which was just the cherry on top of my relationship with these roomies. (I am aware that their behaviour is not the hostel's fault, but rule enforcement was a problem, and overall concern for my stay seemed lacking.)
- NO LOCKS ON THE ROOM DOORS. For my second night I was the only one in the room, but often found other random people in there. Having personal lockers is great but the random guy taking a quick nap who may or may not have even been staying at the hostel? Or the man who let himself in to use the ensuite bathroom's shower then came out in a towel? Having an ensuite ended up being a disadvantage as people just wandered in all the time (and I paid extra for it..).
- STUPID MOTION SENSOR LIGHT IN THE BATHROOM. Enjoy waving your hands every 60 seconds while in the shower? Then this is the place for you! It drove me absolutely crazy.
- Water stopped working in the bathroom, apparently due to maintenance that I was only told about once I complained (notice would have been nice).
- DRASTIC MINORITY AS AN ENGLISH SPEAKER. I am totally game to practice other languages but I honestly felt ignored and left out. If you speak spanish though and love to party maybe you would have faired better then me! I just felt very isolated, though I did meet a few people!
- No AC sucked. Especially due to being in a room of sweaty axe covered party animals. Lack of air flow was a real issue.
- Pillows with no pillow cases (kind of gross).

Some positives:
- Great location
- Great tours offered
- Shuttles for hire too and from both airports (aka fixed fee cabs)
- Dinner option with a great chef, and an excellent bartender
- Staff seemed nice and were helpful and all trilingual.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Nice hostel, with a cozy atmosphere and very helpful staff. My friend and I only stayed there for one night, but we both feel that we got our money worth. Not the best hostel I've ever stayed at social vice, but definitely not the worst either. I'd recommend it to a friend.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to El Misti House Copacabana? Share your experiences!