“The perfect retreat in Barra!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa da Guedes Bed and Breakfast

Casa da Guedes Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rio de Janeiro
Casa da Guedes Bed and Breakfast
You added Casa da Guedes Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Rua Sebastiao Affonso Ferreira #162, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22620031, Brazil (Barra da Tijuca)   |
Ranked #81 of 259 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
New Delhi, Delhi, India
“The perfect retreat in Barra!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

I stayed at Casa da Guedes during my recent and first visit to Rio. The B&B is in an excellent location in a safe and quiet location, two blocks from Barra Beach and there are a lot of really good restaurants and bars around! The house is full of character and charm and the owners are full of Brazilian hospitality; they made me feel so welcome and at home!!

My room was comfortable and clean and I had access to the wireless internet. They own cats and dogs which are cute and loveable......

Would I recommend Casa da Guedes?................... I see the owners as my friends so wholeheartedly!!! When I return to Rio I will definitely stay there again.....

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Chriscasadaguedes, Owner at Casa da Guedes Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Dear Benjamin,

thank you for your sweet words.You became a dear friend and we will be waiting for your next time in Rio.
I think we don't need to say that t you are more than welcome, do we?
Come back anytime, Ben.

Big kiss and hug

Chris and Eliane

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

It's a great house with a few rooms for rent. There's a free parking, you got to keep the keys and the street is quite safe.

The house owners are very attencious and providers, and can help with all your needs while in Rio.

It's very close to the beach and has a good range of restaurants, bars, clubs and services that you can go on by foot. It's also very close to bus lines.

Great value!

• Stayed September 2011
Hartselle, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

To start off, I would gladly stay at Casa da Guedes B&B again, and I would easily recommend the B&B to friends and family. The B&B is in a quiet, safe neighborhood away from the hustle and bustle of Rio, but with easy access to anywhere in the region. There is a nearby beach (3 minute walk) and plenty of restaurants and shopping (5-7 minute walk).

The B&B is on a street with many (very) nice apartments and houses (a couple of VERY high end houses/apartments were under construction). The presence of people, families, kids (there is a daycare a few houses down and a school across the street) makes for a very safe feeling. At no point was I concerned about my safety. The house itself is not new, but is very well maintained. The pictures of the house on their web page do a decent job of describing the place. If anything, the house is larger than the pictures would indicate. The common areas are well furnished and nice. There is a “dorm sized” fridge in the upstairs common living room (the bedrooms are off this common living room) if you want to store any local purchases. The actual bedroom is large and you have a separate changing room with a closet along with a private full bath. The water pressure was good and the temperature control was excellent. The bedroom can easily accommodate a couple (and maybe a couple of small children? I didn’t ask if they allow children). The wireless internet worked great. The power at the house is 110V, but they have those combined Euro-pin/US-blade connectors. Note, all my electronics work on 110/220V, so I can’t fully verify the sockets were 110V. I did not get a chance to use the pool, but it was ready and would be very nice for relaxing after a fun, hot day in Rio.

The host is very nice, friendly, and willing to work with you on the timing and contents of the breakfast (I needed to be at my conference VERY early in the morning and she was willing to get up early to make my breakfast). I opted for a more “traditional Brazilian breakfast” and was not disappointed (fruits, meats, cheeses, bread, jams, etc.). I never left the table unsatisfied. The milk & fruit or milk and chocolate drinks were fantastic. Any food item I mentioned that I might like was provided the very next day.

The host will suggest places to eat for dinner (all were good!), things to do, and places to go. She also suggested ways to get there (cab, bus, private tour, etc.). Be careful about what you ask for (I mentioned I liked chocolate), as she may just get it for you (the next day for breakfast, she had made a phenomenally good chocolate dessert). When I mentioned that I should have a banana a day (due to my heart condition), she made sure I left the house each subsequent day with an extra banana.

The only negative is that the sidewalks around the B&B are uneven (each house seemed to make their own version of the sidewalk) and coupling that with the inconsistent lighting, makes for a slightly challenging walk at night. You do need to be able to go up one flight of stairs to get to the bedrooms. Also, the house contains a number of pets (cats, dog, & bird), so if one is allergic to such pets, this may not be the place to stay. If one likes pets (as I do), the animals add to the attraction of the house.

Overall, my host made me feel like I was visiting friends of the family and not just staying in some random generic B&B (she even presented me with a box of cookies when I arrived). Staying there greatly increased my enjoyment of Rio. I would gladly stay there again, and I would easily recommend the B&B to friends and family.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Chriscasadaguedes, Owner at Casa da Guedes Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 21, 2011
Dear Douglas,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! It is always a pleasure to receive such a positive feedback about Casa da Guedes. It is our goal to provide a special service on every occasion.
We hope to see you again.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Yours Sincerely,

Christiane
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

I was in Rio to attend a conference and my stay in Casa da Guedes BB was an excellent experience. It is located in a small building decorated with taste and character. Place is very clean. Something you need, such as wireless internet, is provided for free. There are cats and dogs, each having characters and making animal lovers delighted. During my stay of 5 days, I really felt at home, safe, relaxing and comfortable in body and in esprit. The breakfast was heartily prepared every morning and so good to let you feel spoiled. Christiane and her mother took care of every guest and provided us with the best advices for our visit and made countless phone calls to arrange everything for us. What I got was much more than a place to stay. If I have another chance to visit Rio, I will definitely want to stay there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Chriscasadaguedes, Owner at Casa da Guedes Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
First of all thank you for your kind words,Chunyan. The pleasure was ours to have you here. Come back anytime , you are always welcome.
Once again, it was really nice to meet you.
Muttenz, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

Great place to stay in Barra area.
We felt very welcome and had a pleasant stay. To get there it was good we had a map and address printed out, but being there it was easy to find back to it. Even late in the evening we felt safe walking back to the B&B.
The location is close to Barra and Copacabana and Ipanima can be reached by taxi or bus (if there is traffic jam it takes a while).
The owner helped us a lot to get taxis and with very good tips where to go and where to eat (great brasilian bbq). The breakfast was very nice and yummy.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

As a single woman in her twenties, I was a bit worried about traveling to Rio on my own for a friend's wedding, but when I arrived at Casa de Guedes at 11pm on a Thursday night Chris (the owner) made me feel absolutely safe and comfortable. She informed me that it was totally fine to walk the one or two blocks at that hour to go eat some food, and that the neighborhood was completely safe. I was a bit skeptical having previously stayed in a hotel in Copacabana during a prior trip, but was pleasantly surprised when I walked outside in the middle of the night and little, old women were out walking their dogs alone.

The next day I did some exploring at the beach, which is a brief (less than 5 minutes) and pleasant walk. Chris told me exactly where to go, where all the cute guys hang out, and made sure that no one over-charged me for an umbrella and beach chair. She also made breakfast (the achoclatado was divine!).

I was so pleased with my decision to stay at Casa de Guedes. The room was spectacular, the location was perfect, and the hospitality was truly one of a kind. My trip could not have possibly been better!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

It's private two-stored town house, stylishly decorated and furnished. Behind the gate, there's patio in front of house, with ~10 m pool. 4 bedrooms upstairs, each with private bathroom. Actually, the owners used 2 bedrooms, and we used the other 2. Double beds, ventilators, conditioners (not split system), big bathrooms, towels :) At the morning you get the big big breakfast (included in price): meats, cheese, bread, fruits and whatever :) and WiFi works :)
The owners are 2 women, mother and daughter, they have a lot of cats and dogs in and around the house :) The oldest cat is 25 years old and she spends all her time by the pool :)
Staying at Casa da Guedes is like visiting friends' house, you can get advise on were to go, where not to go, what to get, what not, and so on, what is pretty comfortable :)
Beach is ~100-200 meters away: you walk out of the gate, get to the left to the corner, turn left and walk straight to the sea. There are food and drinks shops at the corner, and there's fridge at your door upstairs, so you can always have your cold beer at shop price :) As well, there are cafes, restaurants at the street around the corner. Beach is Barra da Tijuca, which is a kite / surfing spot, and it is much less crowded than Ipanema or Leblon. You can get to Ipanema, Copacabana, by bus (stop is ~500 m) or by taxi, it takes about 30 m - 1 hr depending on traffic.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Casa da Guedes Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!