“Will never reccomend it” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Best Rio Hostel

You added Best Rio Hostel to your Saves list
Best Rio Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Rua Ministro Alfredo | Valadao 36 - Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22031-050, Brazil (Copacabana)   |
Moscow, Russia
“Will never reccomend it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

I do travel a lot around the world and always stay in hostels and guesthouses (so I’m not spoiled) and this is a first time when I so disappointed. I won’t make lots of comments about the price as in Brazil everything is overcharged and you just have to accept this, but still it is too expensive for such place.

There was no space in double room to put our luggage in even on the floor!!!!!! Our room was like a cardboard box with no windows (only a tiny hole by the ceiling), air condition works only at night time and you have to ask the staff to turn it on/off …. During our stay (almost a week) nobody came to take at least the garbage out or bring a toilette paper in. The staff is not friendly and helpful at all. They have so stupid system that when you come with friends everybody in your group has to pay for internet even though only one person needs it…The only good thing in this hostel is location, I’m afraid. I will never recommend this place to anybody.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Warsaw, Poland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

I've stayed at this place, because of the price and quite good location. The hostel was terrible! I've booked so called "deluxe room" with private bathroom: 8sq metres in total, no window, no place to put the suitcase (I had to keep mine in the bathroom), terrible bed, A/C only from 10 pm until 10 am, never cleaned-up, no wi-fi in the room, only at the reception and additionally paid (5 BRL per person, even if you use the same computer). I am not able to imagine how other people could fit 6-bed dorms at the same size as our room!?! And cameras - everywhere cameras like in the prison. Do not ever stay at this hostel as it is extremely expensive and cannot offer anything good.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

Barely bearable. Teeny tiny rooms for an astronomical price. My one piece of advice would be, whatever else you do at this hostel, do not book a tour through them. The tour operators appear to be crooks and will lie to your face. After booking a half day tour to see the main sights (and once again having paid a small fortune), by 4 pm we had seen Corcovado, driven back and forward across town at least three times then sat at a restaurant, due to the tour operators trying to operate two different tours at the same time and ferrying all of us to places we did not want to go. After a stand up argument between the other tour group and one of the guides, we were then driven across town to see the outside of Maracana and dropped back to the hostel. After asking for our money back, we were told to get our money back from the Hostel as this was who we had booked it through. The unhelpful lady at reception laughed in our faces and said it was nothing to do with her. Worst accommodation related experience in a four month trip.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

Well I have to say I now know what it is like to sleep in a kennel. We arrived at ´Best Rio Hostel´with high expectations as the flyer made the place look nice and it said it was new. After a very interesting check in with a tall young guy clearly not on this planet, we were shown to our room up on the top floor. We went up two flights of stairs, once incredibly dangerous, and were shown to our ´room´. Upon entering we were greeted with a strong smell of urine and sweat. The room has a metal door and it wasn´t big enough for us to put our bags in cupboards so we had to spleep with one in our bed, nice. The bathroom looked like something out of Prison Break and the AC only gets turned on between 10pm and 10am, so forget a lazy day reading in bed.

When I went downstairs for breakfast I saw a lady enter a toilet. I saw the same lady not wash her hands then I realised she was serving breakfast with her bare hands. I decided to check out and go somewhere else.

The worst part of it was that the room was 50 quid a night!

never, never again

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Zürich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

Please change the name to "worst in Rio". It is the worst and at the same time the most expensive hostel I stayed in during my 3 month travelling in South America. It is owned by an israelian and most of the staff is not friendly, the rooms are dirty (cockraoches 3 times in the room) and when we left there was no-one who could give us back the deposit for the room key. There is much more to tell but I don't want to upset myself again. Just avoid your stay in this hostel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Best Rio Hostel? Share your experiences!