“A great evening in Rio” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cook In Rio

Cook In Rio
Travessa Do Tinoco 2 | 2nd Floor, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 20041-000, Brazil (Centro)
+55 21988949857
Website
Improve this listing
Visit Cook In Rio like an insider
$75*
and up
More attraction details
Owner description: Can food explain a culture? Cook in Rio offers Brazilian cooking classes in English to foreign visitors wanting to learn about Brazil, and some of the most fun and delicious Brazilian meals and drinks, like cassava sticks, shrimp moqueca, batida de coco, caipirinhas and pe de moleque peanut brittle. Every day from 10am to 2pm. Ideal for cloudy or rainy weather.
San Francisco, California
3 attraction reviews
“A great evening in Rio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I spent my last night in Rio at Simone's wonderful class. Not only was it a lot of fun but I also met a San Francisco neighbor at the class. The food and drinks were wonderful and my only wish would be for a more hands on experience.

San Francisco, California
8 attraction reviews
“A delicious, delightful and insightful way to spend 4 hours in Rio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I like to pack as many real cultural experiences I can into a trip. On my last day in Rio, I started my day with a 10am to 2pm cooking class with the amazing chef Simone. This is my favourite thing I've done in Rio. There were 5 of us in the class. Simone teaches from her restaurant in the oldest part of Rio. Simone is passionate, genuine and a lot of fun. Simone taught us about the cultural influences from the 3 major cultural groups in Brazil. She tells us about how food defines us, brings out our character and influences our moods. It was a great hands-on experience. We made two appetizers, an incredible traditional fish dish, rice and vegetables. Last but not least we made and drank 3 different types of Caipirinhas. I am certain I will stay in touch with the warm, beautiful, generous and talented Chef Simone. At the end of the class we all sat down to eat the dishes we had prepared together. At $75 US this is an amazing deal.

Visited April 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
8 attraction reviews
“Lots of Fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We signed up for this on a rainy day in Rio, but we would have gladly done it on a sunny day as well! Chef Simone was very personable and knowledgeable about Brazilian culture and cuisine. You can email them yourself to book the class or have your hotel concierge call and book it for you. The location is a little hard to find, as it is inside the new restaurant recently opened by the teacher of the class, Simone. Everyone got a chance to help prepare the meal. First, there was fried manioc as an appetizer with a spicy salsa for dipping. Delicious. Then Simone taught us how to make passion fruit caipirinhas, which were so heavenly we bought all the ingredients to make them as soon as we got home! Then we made a delicious fish with peppers, onions, palm oil, and coconut milk. (Also bought the ingredients to make at home!) It was one of the best meals we had in Rio, and it was definitely the most fun we had eating in Rio.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“So much more than just a cooking lesson!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Chef Simone makes this so much more than just a cooking lesson. My wife and I left feeling as is we had made a new friend in Rio. This class not only taught us how to make some great dishes, but also some history behind the Brazil and its many flavorful foods. You will learn in just enough detail to be able to do this yourself if you wanted, or just enjoy the afternoon if you only came for the experience. We plan to come back to learn another dish and next time we will bring family and friends.

Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
“One of my favorite memories from Rio!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was a fantastic way to lean about Brazilian culture in a more intimate setting. Chef Simone was very warm and friendly and gave a ton of valuable advice on what to do while we were visiting. The food, of course, was delicious and I've been able to successfully recreate for my family!

Visited August 2012