“One of my favorite restaurants” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mr. Lam

Mr. Lam
Rua Maria Angelica, 21, Lagoa, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22470-201, Brazil (Lagoa)
(21) 2286-6661
Good for: Romance, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Lagoa
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
“One of my favorite restaurants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This a review from somebody that lived in Rio de Janiro for 6 years, and spend some time in Asia as well.
I'm very familiar with asian fusion restaurants. I can name TAO, Nobu, Buddakan, Kit Chao and Mr. Chao (where Mr. Lam's cook worked on originally)
But I love Mr. Lam the most because it's food is unique. I can't find that peanut sauce nor the lettuce rolls anywhere else I go. I could only wish they had a filial in New York City, so I wouldn't miss it so much.
Everytime I go I order the same thing, which is the "degustation menu", so I get a litle bit of everything. I love the "camarao batista", a shrimp dish which is one of the main courses available to go with the "degustation". The crispy duck is to die for and the pancakes are so thin... yummy, I really miss that place.
I go there so much with my husband that we became friends with one of the waiters, Alexandro, who is so adorable and wonderful. He always takes good care of us. I should never give other restaurants an exelent service rating, because none would compare to the warm welcome Alexandro always gives us everytime. =D

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Korean first
Houston, Texas
“Great service, good setting for business with private rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Wonderful service, but that is expected at one of the most expensive restaurants in Rio. The pasta show, not sure of the actual name, was pretty interesting to see. Though I went with my family, it struck me as more of a business atmosphere.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Oslo
“What an absolute joke!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

How dare you people call this chinese food? It is absolutely horrific! I have been living in South-East Asia for a couple of years and admit that I am picky with asian food, but you get better chinese food in local pub in my husbond's tiny village in the North of England. Honestly. The service was good, the crispy duck was crispy but those are the only good things that can be said about this place.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
ohio
“Good Food, Beautiful Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Mr. Lams is a beautiful restaurant which runs as a swiss watch. The decor is very chic and modern and the seating extremely comfortable.The wine list is extensive with many reasonable bottles available.

The food is very good. We enjoyed the tasting menu which was quite nice. The satay was unique and delicious. The duck was quite good as well. If I had to gripe it would relate to the freezing cold temperature in the dining room. Bring a jacket.

Visited March 2013
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Nice food + average service + expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I've been here many times before and I have to admit that last weekend I felt that something's changed. The service here used to be perfect, all waiters and runners were always well dressed and concerned to bring everything you need right on time. That's really fair for the price you pay but this time I missed this feeling of being well served.

The dishes took so long to get to our table and so did the beverages. We ordered the Peking Duck tasting, that usually takes 60min in total, but we arrived there at 9pm and left 1am! The main course took more than 2 hours to get to our table...

I was really surprised by this sudden change but I hope it was just an unusual evening. We didn't get angry or feel mistreated because we were celebrating but I just wanted to record this experience hoping them to be perfect again.

• Visited March 2013