“Just Ok” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Jucati Season Apartments

Save Saved
You added Jucati Season Apartments to your Saves list
Jucati Season Apartments
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   Rua Tenente Marones de Gusmao 85 - Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22041-060, Brazil (Botafogo)   |
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Just Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The price was right but there was something about it that made me feel I wasn't on vacation. I almost felt as though I was a struggling middle class worker in a borderline safe neighbourhood in Rio. There were no tourists to be seen so it really does feel like an apartment. Some front desk staff were nice while others were completely rude. It was pretty far from the beach. I guess you get what you pay for. Just at $100 per night you would think you could do better. But that's Rio!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

276 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

After finding a reasonably priced flight to Rio, the biggest dilemma was where to stay in an area that was safe, close to one of the main beaches, Copacabana or Ipanema and at a sensible price given Rio's apparent lack of 'budget' accommodation.

As it turned out the Jucati was absolutely perfect. From a safety perspective it was just one block away from the main road and every day and night a police car was parked at the corner of the hotel and Praca Edmundo Bitencourt, a play area/park right outside the hotel.

The Jucati is in a great location. It is little more than 5 blocks and 10-minutes or so walk to get to Copacabana beach. For those who wish to use public transport the Jucati is just 2 blocks away from the Siquera Campos Metro station which will take you down to Ipanema if you're lazy and can't be bothered to walk it, or mainly to stations in the Central, North areas. There are also many bus lines which go from the area, but good luck finding the right bus !

The room I was given had a double bed, living area with tv and fridge freezer, cooker and fair sized bathroom. If you wish to make use of the cooking facilities, there are plenty of shops around including a 24-hour supermarket a couple of blocks away close to the Metro station. All facilities functioned well including the Wi-Fi which other reviewers seem to have had a problem with. Mine worked fine all 7-days.

The staff were all very welcoming and helpful if I had any questions. All had a good understanding of English which doesn't seem to be the case in many places visited in Rio. This was appreciated as my Portuguese is non existent !

My only gripe about the Jucati is the lack of credit card facility at the hotel. One thing every guide book will tell you is don't carry large amounts of money and don't withdraw money from ATM's that aren't located inside a bank. The closest ATM that accepted VISA is the supermarket, but it was not a good idea to draw a large amount there due to credit card fraud/skimmers. It took me a long time to find a bank that accepts VISA and this was a HSBC about a 20-25 minute walking from the hotel, and with a withdrawal maximum of 1000R$ a day it meant making two trips and two lots of exchange fees.

Finally, I must thank the hotel for their gesture of refunding me 1 night out of my stay. I booked 7 nights with Expedia although knowing full well my flight didn't arrive until 5.30am the morning after my 1st night booking. I just wanted to make sure I had a hotel room to go to after a 12 hour overnight flight. I fully expected to pay for all 7 nights anyway, but to my surprise the hotel kindly gave me a refund on the first night. They didn't have to do this but it was a fantastic and appreciated gesture.

I would have no hesitation in suggesting the Jucati to anybody who is visiting Rio, and if I go back this will certainly be my first choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Gottingen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed only three nights in edificio jucati, but had difficult problems with the confirmation of my flight back home. One of the managers, Leonardo, helped me a lot with this problem, waiting two times up to about three quarters of one hour in on of these horrible telephone wait loops until he solved the problem for me. I found this was a very helpful and remarkable service.
My room (307) was amply, ervrything was working and clean (kitchen, fridge, shower etc), but the furniture is a bit simple. The location is good, (super-)markets near, copacabana beach a 10 minutes walk away.
Volker, Germany

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We had a very pleasant stay at Jucati apartments.
Everything was good, actually. It was clean, with cleaning and fresh towels every day.
The apartment was quite big and the neighbourhood felt safe. The metro station is just one or two blocks away and the beach about 10 mins. walking distance.The staff is very friendly and helpful.
Great value for money in a place (Copacabana) where it is not easy to find reasonably priced hotels or apartments.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Great option for a family as Rio Hotels are so expensive. Only 10 minutes walk to the beach and a large square just outside with playground and market on Wednesdays to stock up on fruit. Easy walk to shops and felt pretty safe.

Apartments are good size but open plan so don't expect privacy if sharing with friends. Small but functional kitchen with cooker (we had to use a lighter to light gas each time we stayed) and water filter (separate tap), good hot shower. Particularly liked the large safe.

Was advertised as WiFi in rooms which didn't work, you had to take your lap top to central seating area. Talked to reception and they said that the WiFi in rooms is no longer advertised but they are putting in a new system, hopefully this will cure the dropped connection issues as well as painful trying to upload photos for blog posts (may be common Brazil internet problem as not been great countrywide even in large hotels).

Staff have passable English on reception which is useful.

We went back for another night when we returned to Rio. Recommend.

Room Tip: Check out if the WiFi works in the room first if this is important to you.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Relatively good value for your money. A supermarket and ATM are pretty close, not too far away from the Copacabana beach. Nice park in front of the apartment building. Friendly personnel. However, the interior of rooms is a bit outdated and not very cosy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I recently stayed for 6 days at Edificio Jucati and it was very enjoyable. All the staff there were very friendly and helpful, especially as I'd made a group booking for numerous people and had to change the dates a few times before we arrived. For me, not being a Portuguese speaker, it was very useful that they spoke great English.
My room was comfortable. As I was there in the Brazilian wintertime, it was not very hot, and the ceiling fan was all I needed to keep cool.
I know that some of the people I was with had a little trouble connecting to the internet while we were there, but I never had any problem, and Jucati even lent me a (electrical plug) converter when mine broke.
I really liked the location of Jucati. Right in front of it is Edmundo Bittencourt Square, where (amongst other things) people walk dogs and play chess, and school kids practice soccer or capoeira. On Wednesdays there is a great farmers' market in the square, and on Sundays (I think!) there is a smaller organic one. Plus, it is only a short walk to Copacabana Beach. Also in the area there are numerous restaurants, a shopping galleria (which has a money exchange place) and the subway.
I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Jucati Season Apartments? Share your experiences!