The hotel is located in the hillside Santa Teresa district which is a charming and authentic neighbourhood, known for its bohemian spirit, very different from the other famous spots in Rio.
I’ve enjoyed the peculiarity of the district very much since it shows a completely diverse and unknown side of the city.
At the same time, the narrow, steep and winding streets of Santa Teresa make it very difficult to reach the hotel if travelling in your own car. We got lost several times following both the GPS and street signs. Fortunately the hotel features its own parking therefore once we arrived we managed to leave our car there for our whole stay in Rio.
Taxis are also an issue since drivers are reluctant to take you up Santa Teresa’s streets both for the short, cheap ride (it happened to us when we were in the Lapa district for example) and for the rough street maintenance. However, the hotel offers its own car service which we used several times and was directly charged in our room.
A part from the transportation issues, I believe the hotel is a nice alternative to the other boutique hotels located on the beaches. Compared to these, I think Santa Teresa is more particular from a decorative point of view, presenting a definitely french taste and african-like reminiscences and design.
Me and my boyfriend stayed for two nights in a master suite at the first floor. Our room was quite spacious, had a nice view, comfortable bed. I personally didn’t like the taste of the bathroom, found it a little bit cold. Loved the present on top of our bed at our arrival with two pairs of Ipanema flip-flops inside!
The outside pool and bar overlook the city and offer an incredible panorama, especially by night. In the morning we enjoyed our breakfasts sitting on an adorable table surrounded by orchids and placed in front of a big window looking out on Rio’s mountains and landscape.
Definitely recommend to anyone looking for a different taste of Rio.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Santa Teresa, new 5 star boutique hotel spa and the only Relais & Chateaux of the city, is a former colonial ranch located in the heart of the historic district of Rio de Janeiro. The Hotel features the best views of the city, the harbor and the famous bay of Rio. Decoration tropical ethic design was inspired by the African Indigenous roots of the North and East of Brazil, by the great times of coffee and sugarcane. The burnt cement, the lime stones, the golden slates, the tropical woods and the banana tree fibers are being mixed with the contemporary design of artists Sergio Rodrigues, Zemog or Oficina de Agosto. In the hotel's tropical gardens, the 25-meter long polish green slate swimming pool offers unique panoramic views over Rio de Janeiro. With a natural yet luxurious and unique environment, the Spa features beauty and corporal relaxation treatments of the Amazonian brand of Natura. For the gastronomes, the restaurant Térèze, with an industrial wood, linen and steel design is frequented by the high society of Cariocas and offers the best of French cuisine with a Brazilian flair, created by our Chef Damien Montecer. Hotel is close to all attractions such as Christ redeemer Corcovado, Lapa Nightlife, Sugar Loaf, historic center, museums and famous beach of Copacabana. Not to be missed! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Odigeo, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Santa Teresa - Relais & Chateaux reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Santa Teresa - Relais And Chateaux
- Santa Teresa Hotel
- Hotel Santa Teresa - Relais & Chateaux Rio De Janeiro, Brazil