We had a wonderful stay at Carmen and Fernando B&B March 2013.
Just a few notes for the American / USA travelers:
Front desk is staffed Monday - Saturday 8 AM to 10 PM. Virginia works the first half of the day and Ana works the second half of the day. Both Virginia and Ana speak fluent English (as well as Portuguese and Spanish). No staff on Sunday, so if you need to request anything, make sure you do it on Saturday. Carmen and Fernando speak limited English and as owners do not have set hours.
Breakfast is served at 8 AM 7 days a week. Breakfast drinks include coffee, tea, and fresh fruit juice. Breakfast food selections include bread, pastries, fresh cut fruit, sliced ham, and cheese. Overall an EXCELLENT breakfast.
Our room was just the right size, and we especially loved the shower because the hot water came on almost instantaneously and sprayed copious amounts of water.
We paid R$40 to have them wash a load of our laundry. Can take up to 2 days to get your laundry back depending on weather. Clothes are line dried.
Most American / USA visitors stay at the beach, so there are not many USA travelers at this B&B. We thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the other guests at this B&B and we were lucky that we met other English speakers to converse with. Breakfast conversation language will vary depending on the other residents.
Great location as we were able to walk to Centro, Lapa and tour Santa Teresa from this B&B. This B&B is on a cobblestone road on a somewhat steep road. If you are taking public transportation, be prepared to walk 1/2 mile uphill from the Gloria transit station or bus stop to this B&B.
Getting to and from the Rio (GIG) airport: When we arrived at the Rio airport, we went to a counter where you tell an agent where you want to go and then they write a "ticket" with your destination and the amount of money you will pay to the taxi driver. We got our "taxi ticket" and went outside the airport, stood in a taxi line for about 5 minutes and got a taxi. It was less than R$50 for the trip to the B&B. This B&B will arrange transport from the airport for you for R$85. This is because their taxi driver lives in Santa Teresa and is really making a round trip journey for you and also is waiting at the airport for you. On the way back to the airport, Ana called their taxi driver for us. He showed up in 5 minutes and took us to the airport for less than R$50.
If you are not looking for a beach vacation and are looking for a quaint small town quite feel that is close to Centro and Lapa, this is the place to stay. We would definitely stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a bed & breakfast with a privileged location in Santa Teresa. Access is very easy by Metro Glory. Are only 10 minutes from walking out of the station . Or by coming Lapa and up the Taylor Street. Near the Cristo Redentor and Sugar Loaf. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Casa da Carmen e do Fernando reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Da Carmen e Do Fernando Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- Casa Da Carmen e Do Fernando Rio De Janeiro, Brazil