“Please don't change a thing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Colonial 12

You added Casa Colonial 12 to your Saves list
Casa Colonial 12
Rua Dr Samuel Costa 12 | Centro Historico, Paraty, State of Rio de Janeiro 23970-000, Brazil (Historic City Center)   |
Ranked #6 of 237 Paraty B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rio de Janeiro
“Please don't change a thing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I have just arrived from my two-days stay and I already miss Casa Colonial, Dani's charisma, the fruit salad I had when I returned from the boat trip and those amazing beds. The mix of a completely restored colonial house and its contemporary interior seduced me immediately, but that is nothing without service. And I can tell they are good at it.
Perfect breakfast, lovely music playing at the living area, charming secluded garden with a jacuzzi.
I have no suggestions, no complaints, lots to thank to Casa Colonial. I had a unforgettable weekend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

CC12 is a real find! There are only three rooms available (the 12 comes from the address!) but if you strike it lucky with availability, you're in for a real treat. The building itself is old colonial Paraty, at its most typical, but the fixtures from internet to TV"s to shower-heads are state of the art. There is an elegant sitting room/atrium stacked with books and info, and a glorious shady courtyard. Breakfast- top breakfast- is the only meal offered, though picnic lunches for boat trips and waterfall visits can be sorted. The adorable manager, Dani. Speaks great English is incredibly generous and knows the town backwards; her other half, Cleber, owns a boat and gives great tour round the nearby islands.All round- thoroughly, thoroughly commended!

Room Tip: The first floor room is the pick of the bunch!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Where do I even begin when there is so much excellence to talk about with Casa Colonial 12! The attention to every detail is unrivaled, the design was impeccable and chic, and the service is personalized and wonderfully tailored. There's also an exceptional iPod playlist waiting to be played, a beautiful garden patio to relax in after a day of activities and afternoon fruit, tea, and pao de queijo at your beck and call, not to mention the delicious full breakfast in the mornings. Lest I forget to make note of the fluffy luxe bedding and bathroom toiletries provided (simple luxuries that are lacking in so much of Brazilian tourism.) I just looooved this place so much. Paraty is a beautiful town but if I ever return it would be solely to stay at Casa Colonial 12 once again, the experience was that fantastic. We loved every part of our visit and are so thankful to have met such generous and accommodating hosts as Simon and Daniela. Thank you so much from the bottom of our hearts!!

Room Tip: The upstairs room has a nice view over the living room and is wonderfully spacious and private! And...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Amazing pousada in the historic centre of Paraty. The house is very stylish, with beautiful rooms, and a nice garden with pool. The breakfast was the best we had during our stay in Brazil! Daniela is a fantastic host, so friendly and helpful.

If you go to Paraty, this is definately the place to stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were so glad we found this little gem! Daniela was very helpful and welcoming right from the moment we contacted Casa Colonial by phone.

The historic house is located in the historic centre of Paraty, and yet it's almost at the end of a street, and hence it's still pretty quite there at night.

When we arrived in the late afternoon we received a warm welcome with drinks, a fruit salad, and delicious wedges of cake. Cleber (the owner) and Paulo (I hope I remember his name correctly) helped us with our luggage. They explained us everything regarding the house, asked us about our desired breakfast time, and offered recommendations for restaurants and other entertainment (everything in very good English).

Casa Colonial offers high quality, modern and stylish furniture, and the materials and colors, and the beautiful paintings offer a very warm and homey atmosphere. There is also a beautiful and lush outdoor space with a small pool/hot tub.

The rooms (there are only three) are spotless, the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom modern and everything well functioning. The air conditioning (in all rooms) was another comfortable detail. As a welcome gift Casa Colonial gives to all it's guests a pair of 'havaiannas' in order to make sure the sand of the streets stays outside the house. A great idea, and a very nice gift too.

There is a Nespresso machine in the common living area, which can be used by the guests 24 hours (at no costs), which makes certainly wonderful coffee and expressos.

Breakfast was served on the long, wide wooden table in the open living / dining area, and was so tasty and plentiful: fresh fruits, different kind of bread, little croissants, cake, yoghurt, honey & jam, eggs just the way you like them, freshly pressed orange juice, and of course very good coffee. What you should know: in case there are other guests sharing the house with you (again: there are three rooms) you might have to share the breakfast table with the other guests. We met a very nice couple from Argentina, enjoyed our brief, interesting conversation, and exchanging travel tips.

When we had to leave (unfortunately just after only one night) again we got helped with our luggage (great service!). We were really sad to leave, and in case we will return to Paraty Casa Colonial will definitely be our first choice again!

Thanks again to the wonderful team of Casa Colonial!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Casa Colonial 12 is one of the loveliest places I have stayed all over the world. It is a small home with three bedrooms but feels much more boutique hotel than B&B.

Daniela is so warm, welcoming and unobtrusive. Yet she welcomes you as friends and cannot do enough to help.

The attention to detail is immaculate. The most gorgeous bed linen, great bathroom products, a branded Moleskin notebook, free Havaianas, stylish crockery and the most excessive breakfast of breads, cheese, hams, cakes, eggs, fruit and juice. Everything is wonderful.

Location wise, it couldn't be better, it is so central to the historical centre which is where you want to stay for easy access to all the restaurants, bars and beautiful buildings.

Look at the map on Google before you go because taxis are not allowed in the centre and you may get lost! Having said that, Daniela can send someone to meet you.

Wonderful trip and wonderful stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

It was my first time in Brazil and because of time restrictions, I almost skipped Paraty but I really wanted to stay at Casa Colonial 12 after I read the reviews and saw the pictures. I managed to squeeze one night stay here and found myself running through the town like a mad women the night I arrived and the day I was leaving. This place is the most perfect place to stay. I traveled solo and it felt like my private house. The staff is amazing, Daniela greeted me and accommodated me last minute and the day I left, she packed me a little lunch for me to take with me on the bus to Ilha Grande. The owner was in town and was so gracious to invite me for the best meal I had during my entire stay in Brazil. I wished I stayed longer and was so reluctant to leave. I stayed in December right before the busy season. I would recommend making reservations way ahead of time because they only have 3 rooms, all are perfect and I'm sure when the secret gets out, everyone will want to stay here. They do ask for bank transfer for a deposit which was initially what put me off but after arriving and seeing the place, I realized its totally worth it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Casa Colonial 12? Share your experiences!